Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

easiest turboback to install

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2005, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
easiest turboback to install

I'm planning to install a turboback into my 03 evo. I'll be doing the work myself, in my driveway, no fancy lifts or equipment and only some mechanical knowhow. Which would be the easiest system to install?
Old Jan 7, 2005, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Well I installed my Buschur 3" TB with just some ramps, it was pretty straight foward but I think they would all be the same. The hardest part for me was getting the damn stock muffler off, the stupid top hanger was a *****!
Old Jan 7, 2005, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarrenJ
I'm planning to install a turboback into my 03 evo. I'll be doing the work myself, in my driveway, no fancy lifts or equipment and only some mechanical knowhow. Which would be the easiest system to install?
They are probably all about the same. The B&B DP that I have fit very well without clearance issues. I would say from the standpoint of ease of handling, the lightest system would be the best maybe the JIC magic or the titanium systems by various brands..... I hear the Buschur exhaust is very light as well.

You'd best have at least a couple of ramps and a decent floor jack and jack stands, otherwise you'll have a hellish (and dangerous) job in your hands.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silverEVO8
They are probably all about the same. The B&B DP that I have fit very well without clearance issues. I would say from the standpoint of ease of handling, the lightest system would be the best maybe the JIC magic or the titanium systems by various brands..... I hear the Buschur exhaust is very light as well.

You'd best have at least a couple of ramps and a decent floor jack and jack stands, otherwise you'll have a hellish (and dangerous) job in your hands.
The Buschur Exhaust saves you 20lbs from the stock exhaust if I recall that correctly. It is very light compared to the stock unit, I got it with the Magnaflow muffler and I love it. No problems with clearance of the DP either.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

I agree about most turboback's being about the same....for myself it's amazing how much easier it is with a lift!

If you got with the original Buschur, make sure you don't piece it together since it's flangeless. It's easy with the whole package but if you piece it together with different manufacturers (like myself) make sure you have flanges on each piece (downpipe, testpipe/high flow cat, catback).

Especially a factor if you live somewhere that requires eCheck and you have to swap the cat back on every so often....
Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

I would recommend paying an exhaust shop $40-$50 and let them do it unless your time is worth less than that. This way you do not risk getting injured.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 01:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Any exhaust is pretty simple to install. Just bolts and some bushings. I have a Buschur catback for sale. PM me if your interested.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05-EVO-GSR
I would recommend paying an exhaust shop $40-$50 and let them do it unless your time is worth less than that. This way you do not risk getting injured.
WERD...you're already forking over $500-$600 for the pimp exhaust...pay an extra $50 and get it installed right the first time.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

It is a pretty simple job if you have the right tools. Jackstands are a must. If you don't have them, I would consider the muffler shop route.

Also, IMHO, the flanged systems are a little easier to install than the slip connection systems like Burshur. The slip connection ones require a little more adjustment. The flanged systems are usually a little more straight forward due to less adjustment needed. The flanged systems aren't really adjustable.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

all tb are about the same to install . but you do need jackstands
Old Jan 7, 2005, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05-EVO-GSR
Installing an exhaust is easy as hell! I don't know you would get injured, all you're doing is unbolting and then bolting back on. Plus its fun
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NOVA EVO
WERD...you're already forking over $500-$600 for the pimp exhaust...pay an extra $50 and get it installed right the first time.
Then what's the fun in that?

Get a nice set of jackstands and a jack...you're good to go. Also WD-40 is your friend!
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Most exhausts will be easy to install. I got the DC Sports catless downpipe and Greddy catback. I have never had an exhaust go in so easy. It was literally a breeze. All the hangers were bent correctly-I had to make NO modifications! Took me ~30 minutes to remove the factory exhaust and like ~30-40 minutes to install the aftermarket parts...and that included the mechanical CEL fix.