Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What is dealer Prep??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2005, 06:46 AM
AcA
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is dealer Prep??

I went to a dealership ready buy a Evolution. this evo had 20 miles on it. But when I started the car started to shake and sounded abnormal. Even one of the salesman said this isn't what it supposed to be. But when I went into showroom and spoke with the manager he says...they do some kind of prep work before selling the car so the it acts in a abnormal behavior for security and insurance purposes before the prep.

So I was like ummm " then how did it get 20 miles on it"
They couldn't give me a straight answer but only that the car wasn't prepped.

To me in sound like fuel or electric problem that was causing the vibration. My question is do they really do something to the computer so it would act like that before sales? Do you think it would be ok to buy that car?
Old Jan 7, 2005, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't buy it (at least not until they fix it first and let you test drive it)!! It shouldn't be doing that. And the fact that they told you that it was supposed to do it is BS!
Old Jan 7, 2005, 06:53 AM
AcA
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah I am very shaky...even if they fixed it I don't want to buy a brand new car that need service from a getgo
Old Jan 7, 2005, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Um, Evolution's do a lot of weird things. My clutch chatters in the cold. The transmission vibrates a bit in the cold too, and its noisy all the time. Brakes squeal on short stops. Water vapor spews from the heat expulsion vent and front grille on rainy/snowy days.

Probably just standard Evolution quirkiness. Evolution's do a lot of "unrefined" things. Do a search.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

^ my suspension seems to clunck in the cold a little bit as well. as far as the evo, i would let them fix it. the 20 miles is nothing really, maybe what it took to get the car there, and maybe it has been sitting for a while. dealer prep to me was always, vacuum, wash, and clean the glass. oh yeah and they try to put some stupid stay black junk on the tires that doesnt work, and sprayed all over my paint.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

yea, "dealer prep" shouldn't have anything to do with the car's behavior. Evo's do have a few interesting characteristics, mine is not happy before it's properly warmed up, but if the sales guy said "it's not supposed to do that"...I'd be pretty sketchy. I'd have to see it first-hand to really comment, but I'd at least make sure I knew what it was before moving forward. I bought a truck prior to "dealer prep" once, and it was totally fine. Their prep was the removal of that plastic that is all over it, washing it, filling it with gas.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MisterSpoot
Um, Evolution's do a lot of weird things. My clutch chatters in the cold. The transmission vibrates a bit in the cold too, and its noisy all the time. Brakes squeal on short stops. Water vapor spews from the heat expulsion vent and front grille on rainy/snowy days.

Probably just standard Evolution quirkiness. Evolution's do a lot of "unrefined" things. Do a search.
clutch chatter during cold? normal.... tranny vibrates when cold? because of the clutch? brakes squeal? normal.... water vapor out of the vent, very normal.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"Dealer prep" is where they take the chocks out of the suspension, take the plastic off the seats, and take the plastic protective film (used in transport) off of the exterior paint surfaces. Thats it!

My favorite dealer add on is the $2000 "paint protection package" They hand you some wax and a paint warrenty form. They seem to forget that the paint is covered by the factory warrenty some how.

Keith
Old Jan 7, 2005, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

^
^

Clutch chatter and increased transmssion vibration are known, documented issues. Has to be VERY cold (5F air temp or lower) for it to occur usually. Brakes squealing is definitely normal, mostly because of the pad material used. Lots of high-end cars have their brakes squeal for slow stops.

I did have the suspension clunks as well when it was about 0 out. After a bit of travel it loosened up. You'll get that with just about most cars with a reasonably taut suspension though -- even my Eclipse did that.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 02:30 PM

Dealer prep = $500 car wash.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer prep is when he snaps on the latex glove.