Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

History of the EVO

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2005, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by erikgj
With the time and money I could beat them with a Lancer or a Civic too. That proves nothing.
That I agree with wholeheartedly. I'm just saying its pointless (for others, not you Erik) to worry about how much Lancer there is in the Evo, or vice versa - but just that the Evo is an amazing engineering marvel and leave it at that.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avengerhed

i know however, that you can make a cobra out of a mustang and an STi out of a WRX fairly easily where you just can't do that with a lancer and an evo ....
The WRX is based on the Impreza, which couldn't be very easily turned into an STi.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

good posts here, my first thought when I started reading it was, well, why would they call it a Lancer Evolution if it did not share some fairly significant similarities with the regular Lancer?
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by RaceBiscuit
good posts here, my first thought when I started reading it was, well, why would they call it a Lancer Evolution if it did not share some fairly significant similarities with the regular Lancer?
True, besides the ones in the thread, there are alot of ignorant evo owners who will cut there eyeballs out before mentioning the evolution was an offset of the lancer. Lancer guys are not crying "we look like an evo", evo guys are crying that the evo has nothing to do w/ the lancer. I had to set 2 evo owners straight that the lancer came before the evolution and they still didnt believe me, when an evo owner came in the thread and said the lancer came first, than they believe it, i bet if that same evo owner told them "you're wife is having an affair", they would be @ there lawyers office first thing monday morning.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Arithmetic
True, besides the ones in the thread, there are alot of ignorant evo owners who will cut there eyeballs out before mentioning the evolution was an offset of the lancer. Lancer guys are not crying "we look like an evo", evo guys are crying that the evo has nothing to do w/ the lancer. I had to set 2 evo owners straight that the lancer came before the evolution and they still didnt believe me, when an evo owner came in the thread and said the lancer came first, than they believe it, i bet if that same evo owner told them "you're wife is having an affair", they would be @ there lawyers office first thing monday morning.
As long as you mention to them that the Lancer was originally designed upon racing ideas, and not econobox ideas, then you're good.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GPTourer
That I agree with wholeheartedly. I'm just saying its pointless (for others, not you Erik) to worry about how much Lancer there is in the Evo, or vice versa - but just that the Evo is an amazing engineering marvel and leave it at that.
Yeah, I agree. The lancer-like looks of an Evo generate a lot of shocked of sporty car drivers. To me I would much rather have a car that looks like a small sedan but performs like a supercar, than an Audi TT with the looks of a sports car but a small hatch heart.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RaceBiscuit
It has happed before both ways. The Neon and the SRT-4 are classed as different cars by the EPA. Which is significant since the reliability ratings of each model is separate.

The Lancer and Lancer Evo are class as the same car only because of the name. The Evo and Lancer have far less in common than the srt-4 and the neon. In the US Harley owns the Evolution trademark.

The first Sentra in the US was call the Stanza Sentra so that it would not need a full DOT test when it was released.

It is a game that all the car companies play
Old Jan 9, 2005, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
What bothers me is when people say an Evo is "just a Lancer," when they don't even know what it is to be Lancer.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

i think both Lancers (cedia & evo) are fraternal twins. born of the same mom, 1 b4 the other, they have similarities, but look completely different.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Keep in mind that the Cedia chassis was designed with the Evo(lution) in mind.

IIRC, the EvoVII was released before the Cedia was.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by erikgj
The first Sentra in the US was call the Stanza Sentra so that it would not need a full DOT test when it was released.

It is a game that all the car companies play
I heard that too but I thought it was the first Altima. I think it also has a lot to do with saving some money because registering each name costs. Or like you said, the name might be owned by someone else. They also do it to boost sales. Toyota wants the Camry to outsell the Accord which includes coupes and sedans, but they market the Solara as a different (looking) vehicle, but it is in fact a Camry Solara. Corolla Matrix.

I remeber when the ZR-1 came out it was considered an options package on the base Covette. Z06 owners might now think of their cars as more then just optioned out Vette's, but it still is just another Corvette to the government I think.

Originally Posted by zstryder
Keep in mind that the Cedia chassis was designed with the Evo(lution) in mind.
IIRC, the EvoVII was released before the Cedia was
I think the story goes that the Evo crew got to sit in on the Cedia design phase and were allowed to make some tweaks here and there, as opposed to getting the platform dumped into their laps after all was said and done. But I wouldn't go so far to said that the whole car(Cedia) was designed for future Evo use. I think the beancounters got it mostly their way. But, tweaks are tweaks.

Last edited by GPTourer; Jan 10, 2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
I heard that too but I thought it was the first Altima. I think it also has a lot to do with saving some money because registering each name costs. Or like you said, the name might be owned by someone else. They also do it to boost sales. Toyota wants the Camry to outsell the Accord which includes coupes and sedans, but they market the Solara as a different (looking) vehicle, but it is in fact a Camry Solara. Corolla Matrix.

I remeber when the ZR-1 came out it was considered an options package on the base Covette. Z06 owners might now think of their cars as more then just optioned out Vette's, but it still is just another Corvette to the government I think.

I think the story goes that the Evo crew got to sit in on the Cedia design phase and were allowed to make some tweaks here and there, as opposed to getting the platform dumped into their laps after all was said and done. But I wouldn't go so far to said that the whole car(Cedia) was designed for future Evo use. I think the beancounters got it mostly their way. But, tweaks are tweaks.
Strike the Sentra it was the Stanza Altima I was thinking of.

But the Base lancer has multi-link rear and a much stiffer structure than anything in its class. They would be there if it was not for the Evo teams needs. The Evo team was not dictating to the lancer engineers but there was a good deal more interaction between the groups than in the past.