Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

SC or TT EVO..is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SC or TT EVO..is it possible?

just wanted to thow this out there and see what you guys think..

would it be possible for the EVO to have a supercharged and turbo setup

..and would it be possible to have a twin turbo EVO...

i was just day dreaming and thought about this....it would be nice...wouldn't it?
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Anything is possible if you got the money. For better low end, I'd rather just get a 2.4L motor.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible? yes, practical.......no
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

I concur with the engine swap, better low end I'm sure ... like the STi, only it should produce a lot more horsies.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
Anything is possible if you got the money. For better low end, I'd rather just get a 2.4L motor.
I agree, a turbo+supercharger is only practical for a low reving engine( i.e. big diesel semi trucks, dump trucks etc), if you really want more low end, bore out motor, but still not as practical. if you keep the jets at lowest setting, and have good gas, you might want to consider NOS,it's cheaper. but hey i blew a head gasket in my civic w/ nos, so i am done playing with it.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:43 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeh, nos or stroker kit. Unless you do TT that kicks in sequetial in 2 stages (RPM dependent).
Old Jan 7, 2005, 01:28 PM
Former Sponsor

funny i was thinking bout this a couple of days ago!

The early MR2 had a supercharger and turbo in the same application
Old Jan 7, 2005, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

I'll be able to let you know in about 4 months. My car is being built right now using a custom supercharger to help spool a huge turbo. My engine is a built 2.3L with Toda pistons, Pauter rods, and a custom made Pauter/RNR knife-edged crank. The supercharger is a one off being developed for me in Europe and the turbo is also a one off custom. If this works I'll post the details of the build. We're shooting for 1,000 hp with quick spool. There are many innovative upgrades being done to this car that I don't want to share right now. Stay tuned.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor

now that sounds like something I would like to see! Best of luck.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, it has been done, the sequential is the way to go with TT. I would go to a 2.3 first though, you will need the extra cubes. Problem is, for open-tracking, which is what I do, the weight you add isn't worth the power you get. You are better off with a well-matched turbo/engine setup, and spending time tuning the suspension. For drag-racing, if you don't mind the weight, go for it.

Oh, and there was a supercharged/turbo MR2, which I think was doing consistent 680+ with quick spool. But it was heavy as an Evo, if not more with all the coolers and such. MY.02.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

lancia did a similar set up (supercharger and turbocharger) back in the group b rally days on the Delta S4. was very successful once they were able to work out the bugs of the transition from one to the other.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 01:51 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Can any of you guys with extra $$$ paypal me some. I just need around $5k to finish up my car
Old Jan 7, 2005, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3240
I'll be able to let you know in about 4 months. My car is being built right now using a custom supercharger to help spool a huge turbo. My engine is a built 2.3L with Toda pistons, Pauter rods, and a custom made Pauter/RNR knife-edged crank. The supercharger is a one off being developed for me in Europe and the turbo is also a one off custom. If this works I'll post the details of the build. We're shooting for 1,000 hp with quick spool. There are many innovative upgrades being done to this car that I don't want to share right now. Stay tuned.

wOW.. That sounds like a serious car. Any pics for those of us salivating at the thought of it.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

me too?
Old Jan 7, 2005, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I doubt the car will have the necessary exhaust CFM to run a twin turbo setup on a stock block. You could have a small electric supercharger to complement your stock twin scroll turbo. I've thought about that .... we can all dream can't we?