Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

**Turning Radius** EVO

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool **Turning Radius** EVO

Hello, I am new to this place. I am gonna buy either a IX or a MR. I have pretty much just one question.

I test drove a MR couple weeks back and loved it, but when I went to turn around to head back to the dealer I noticed how WIDE the turning radius is. For all the EVO owners out there is that a normal thing? I actually had to do a three point turn to get it around. Other then that the MR was ABOVE what I expected. Another point, I never noticed any turbo lag at all, i've been reading this forum for the past week now and have noticed how people complain about the lag. I actually think the boost comes on smooth and hard.

Well, I'll be reading up on all kinds of different stuff people do to their EVO's and hopefully I can share some of my stuff when I purchase mine.

Take care people...
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, the turning radius is horrible in the evo. From one of the spy videos of the IX however, it looks like they improved it. In the video, the IX makes some sharper low-speed turns. So the IX MIGHT have a better turning radius than the VIII. Only time will tell.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:39 AM

Actually I personally think that the boost response is good since it comes up relatively early. But the lag is something different. I think that it's sucks that you could be cruising at 3,000 or a little higher RPM and then floor it in fifth gear only to have to wait almost two full seconds before the boost will hit hard. Or in fourth or third for that matter.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:42 AM

The turning radius does suck but it's still pratical. I've never not been able to make a u-turn at a busy intersection. I've cut it close but you'll always be able to complete one on a busy street. Just not a residential one. Besides, 3 point turns look kinda cool IMO.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup. turning radius is worse about the same as my s-10 exra cab. but, ujnless you do a lot of u-turns, or park in really tight structures, or do a lot of parallel parking, i woudn't worry too much
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Don't think the MR and the standard issue (GSR) evos are any different, but check the specs. Yeah it does suck, but that's just one of several driveability issues people complain about (noisy brakes, high clutch pedal, bumpy ride, noisy deceleration). You get used to it like everything else and compensate for it. Just hit the gas a few times and you'll forget all about it ;-)
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:58 AM
EvoM Guru

The reason the Evo's turning radius is sucky is because there is no physical way to get more steering angle with the size of the tires that it comes with. In other words if you could turn the steering wheel more it would hit the inside fender. This is a really horrible reason why anyone would not want to buy an Evo. In no kind of racing is there a need for further turning radius, only to get out of the local mall parking lot.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Time to learn how to do E brake 180s.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:59 AM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by eevoo
Don't think the MR and the standard issue (GSR) evos are any different, but check the specs. Yeah it does suck, but that's just one of several driveability issues people complain about (noisy brakes, high clutch pedal, bumpy ride, noisy deceleration). You get used to it like everything else and compensate for it. Just hit the gas a few times and you'll forget all about it ;-)
Ya, eevoo, it good that you mentioned those things. I've actually forgotten about the "driveability issues." But now that you bring them up, I remember when I first got my Evolution RS the brakes were not loud, but really loud. The clutch pedal wasn't bad because I never depress it all the way anyway in order to shift. As far as the bumpy ride, man oh man, did it suck. I had to literally slow down to about 15 to twenty miles per hour for the train tracks. And the noise of deceleration sounds like a leaf blower!

I'm used to all those things now. But one thing that I will never get over is the fact that I don' t have a radio. I'm just miserable when I drive around by myself. I'll get one soon though.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, Ok.

I still plan on buying the IX or MR. A simple turning thing isn't gonna stop me. I was just curious.

I actually thought the turning thing was due to the fact it is AWD with LSD in the front and that would make turning difficult and sharper turns.

My wife drives a 325XI which is AWD and it can turn pretty tight, but there is a ton of feed back in the steering wheel. It's not easy turning tight in it. Not that it's hard, but you guys know what I mean.

Take care...
DahakaJR
Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:20 PM

Honestly, I think many people with EVOs would have been better off buying V8 Mustangs.
The latest car and Driver has a comparison test between the 2005 Subaru STI and EVO MR. Although the EVO won, you got to read carefully and decide what your priorities are.
For example, the EVO won based on handling but very few people actually put the car on a track every day.
You got to be sure you want to put up with expensive tires, clutches and brakes that do not last very long. For example, my front tires are just about shot and it’s only done 10,000 miles.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:37 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

yeh, on tight you turns, you either go fast brake so the rear would swing a tad bit to make the cut or do a 3 point turn.

Turn Ratio worst than Volvo 960. Now that car had some hella turn ratio for such a big car.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

The turning radius of the EVO is not much worse if any than a Honda Accord, Nissan Maxima or Toyota Camry. Those are typical crappy turning radii common to larger FWD cars. It is one of the things that make me miss driving my old Mercedes Benz or the Miata... Talk about tight turning radius....
Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

You think the evo turning radius sucks...you should drive a 2nd gen eclipse.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

I've never had a problem parallel parking but yes, the turning radius is bad but tolerable. When I drive other cars I find myself turning off the radio because I'm used to not having one. It's a trade off, I love the sound of the engine and all the tranny sounds. Who needs a radio when you've got the 4G63?

Quick Reply: **Turning Radius** EVO