Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What is the Cubic INches of the 4g63?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2005, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the Cubic INches of the 4g63?

okay, friends got a 67' pontiac firebird with a chevy 350 in it, yada yada , and is always touting that the 350 (stock) right now is just as powerful as the 4G63T and the EVO , what I am wondering is

1) what are the Cubic Inches of the 4G63 and

2)stock for stock 1/4 mile winner

3) lightly modded vs. lightly modded (EVO = 3" TB , MBC @ 21 , Fuel Pump, flash and Firebird = manifold , headers , exhaust, air cleaner) 1/4 mile winner?

thanks in advance
Old Jan 7, 2005, 08:32 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
122.05 ci

I'm fairly sure that a stock chevy 350 from '67 does not hit 275 hp. Came close, but not quite.

A 350ci engine is around 5.7 liters. You should laugh at him for having such a big engine yet still isn't able to hang with your car. He's got torque, but you have traction. I'm not an expert, but I imagine you'd be able to beat him in a 1/4 without too much trouble.

Last edited by otter; Jan 7, 2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks a bunch otter, seems like you are the only one who knows or gives a damn enough to post. do you have any projections for the lightly modded 350 vs lightly modded EVO
Old Jan 7, 2005, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KILTERMAN
okay, friends got a 67' pontiac firebird with a chevy 350 in it, yada yada , and is always touting that the 350 (stock) right now is just as powerful as the 4G63T and the EVO , what I am wondering is

1) what are the Cubic Inches of the 4G63 and

2)stock for stock 1/4 mile winner

3) lightly modded vs. lightly modded (EVO = 3" TB , MBC @ 21 , Fuel Pump, flash and Firebird = manifold , headers , exhaust, air cleaner) 1/4 mile winner?

thanks in advance
There is also the difference in gross vs. net hp measures, they are vastly different.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a stock chevy 350 from a 67 camaro puts out 295 hp. but his 67 firebird is probably using 2.73 final drive gears. it doesn't matter if he has 400 hp, he won't be able to beat you until he changes those gears. and even if he has 3.73's and 325 hp he's going to have a real problem with your evo.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

so explain it smart guy
Old Jan 7, 2005, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
You should laugh at him for having such a big engine yet still isn't able to hang with your car.
And the guy with the Firebird will be laughing all the way past the smog station. Cars that old are smog exempt. The sky is the limit for mods as long as the car's exhaust note is under 95db and it has seatbelt and working brake lights.

The 4g63 is a world class motor but has no where near the history or aftermarket of the Chevy small block 350ci. That thing has been around longer than most of our parents. There's entire businesses, oranizations, magazines, and other publications dedicated solely to the 350ci aftermarket.

When I was a kid I got a ride in my cousin's '53 Chevy pickup with a 350ci (stroked to 383ci), blown with a 6-71 roots supercharger, and putting close to 600hp to the ground on race gas. It pulled a 9 second 1/4 mile pass without any sort of structural reinforcement or driveshaft safety loop. It was his first "official" pass in the 1320 since the motor work. Needless to say he was permanently banned from that track. That thing was an accident waiting to happen.

While my other cousin and I were rebuilding lawn-mower engines over the next summer to kill time, his older brother was putting together another freak of an engine in their garage for a '68 Buick Skylark GS350 he'd bought for like $800. I'd have to ask but I'm pretty sure the only thing he replaced on the factory motor before hooking up the blower to it one was the pistons and the camshaft. He grenaded the tranny on that thing while trying to show off...then he spent all sorts of money to put in a Mopar 8 3/4 rearend end...and forgot to seal something or other and all the differential fluid leaked out. I wasn't there when it siezed, but my other cousins tell the story once in a while and it's hillarious. Apparently he called over a bunch of friends and neighbors to see him drive down the steet. He was flying when all of a sudden it looked like the rear brakes were slammed on. LMAO! The entire rear end had siezed.

Now my cousin repairs airplane engines. Sorta scary.

Moral of the story...if a N/A 350ci only put down 150hp like the N/A variant of the 4g63, then I'm sure GM would implement some sort of forced induction. But the modern 350ci is anywhere between 260hp-400hp. I hate most everything GM makes with a passion, but the 350ci is as American as apple pie and the B52 Bomber. Plus you can do almost anything with it.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

ahh yes. the small block. one thing that has not been raised about the whole debate is WEIGHT. i agree with the above post about the modifications and such, but you have to realize that the weight of the firebird is not to be compared to the evo. you have to have that much HP just to move the firebird.

just my .02
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by badhabit90
ahh yes. the small block. one thing that has not been raised about the whole debate is WEIGHT. i agree with the above post about the modifications and such, but you have to realize that the weight of the firebird is not to be compared to the evo. you have to have that much HP just to move the firebird.

just my .02
WTF are you talking about? I used to have a 1967 Nova STATION WAGON with a 327 small block that ran 11.50s in the quarter mile. It was lighter than the Evo. A STATION WAGON....

I now have a 327 motor in a car that weighs about the same as an Evo. The motor is naturally aspirated and does not have anything extreme done to it and it makes 550 HP on an engine dyno. The car runs 10.30s. Keep in mind we are talking about 327s. A fairly small version of the small block motor.

You guys have no idea what you are talking about or what an older muscle car is capable of. The small block chevy (SBC) is the greatest motor ever built for a production automobile. As mentioned, it has more applications, more interchangeable parts, more power potential, and is CHEAPER to build than anything else out there. It is the standard of the engine measurement scale. Respect it.

With that said, your buddy's Firebird motor could be anemic or it could be badass. The bottom line is you have not given us enough information to determine an answer to your question.

Oh yes and to answer your question, what could be better than some 4th grade cross multiplication?

350 X 2 = 700 700/5.7 = 122.8 cubic inches for the 2.0 4G63 and the guy above is right with 122.05 since a 350 is not exactly a 5.7 liter (more like 5.69)

BTW your example with both cars modded has much more mods (serious mods) than the Firebird. Not a good comparison. You basically gave the Firebird an intake and exhaust while you gave the Evo intake, exhaust, higher boost, engine management, etc. Geez man.

Last edited by EVOTEXAS; Jan 7, 2005 at 10:41 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:47 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Huh, I didn't think a stock 350 that was that old would get that much power without a larger carb or such. Learned something new Though I'm completely aware of the aftermarket for a 350, since it seems like 1.5 billion cars came with that engine, and every parts catalog revolves around that engine.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
WTF are you talking about? I used to have a 1967 Nova STATION WAGON with a 327 small block that ran 11.50s in the quarter mile. It was lighter than the Evo. A STATION WAGON....

I now have a 327 motor in a car that weighs about the same as an Evo. The motor is naturally aspirated and does not have anything extreme done to it and it makes 550 HP on an engine dyno. The car runs 10.30s. Keep in mind we are talking about 327s. A fairly small version of the small block motor.

You guys have no idea what you are talking about or what an older muscle car is capable of. The small block chevy (SBC) is the greatest motor ever built for a production automobile. As mentioned, it has more applications, more interchangeable parts, more power potential, and is CHEAPER to build than anything else out there. It is the standard of the engine measurement scale. Respect it.

With that said, your buddy's Firebird motor could be anemic or it could be badass. The bottom line is you have not given us enough information to determine an answer to your question.

Oh yes and to answer your question, what could be better than some 4th grade cross multiplication?

350 X 2 = 700 700/5.7 = 122.8 cubic inches for the 2.0 4G63 and the guy above is right with 122.05 since a 350 is not exactly a 5.7 liter (more like 5.69)

BTW your example with both cars modded has much more mods (serious mods) than the Firebird. Not a good comparison. You basically gave the Firebird an intake and exhaust while you gave the Evo intake, exhaust, higher boost, engine management, etc. Geez man.

Although Sarcastic near the end this is what I wanted, I'm tired of hearing , the EVo will beat the STi, Kill civics yada yada. The reason I gave the Firebird those parts is because that is most likely his setup when he is finished, so evo texas since you've had experience with both the old muscle and now drive new muscle is it safe to assume that with the mods listed above the EVO would be victorious at the strip? now would that change if he ever completes his dream of stroking it to a 383? with said mods (intake, headers, exhaust ,aircleaner) ?
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KILTERMAN
Although Sarcastic near the end this is what I wanted, I'm tired of hearing , the EVo will beat the STi, Kill civics yada yada. The reason I gave the Firebird those parts is because that is most likely his setup when he is finished, so evo texas since you've had experience with both the old muscle and now drive new muscle is it safe to assume that with the mods listed above the EVO would be victorious at the strip? now would that change if he ever completes his dream of stroking it to a 383? with said mods (intake, headers, exhaust ,aircleaner) ?
Yes the EVO will be faster with just those mods. He def. does not need to open the motor to be faster though. Have fun and let us know what happens. In all honesty, in stock form his car will probably run a 14.5 or something as long as he doesn't spin for 2 gears.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

ahhh evotexas. you are right. i understand that the small block chevy 350/327 are two of the greatest combinations ever. my brother in law had a fully built 327 in his 68 camaro and would tear up the drag strip. hell, his redline on that little 327 was 7.5k i do know a little something about them. i guess the question is just to vague for anyone of us to answer-just to many "what if's" you can have all that HP, but if your gearing isnt correct-he hasnt mentioned that about the firebird-then the car aint gonna **** and git....and i think you know that. they will just have to run each other and find out. then he can mod his evo to beat the firebird. too much bench racing-just run him and find out where you stand.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

right now he just got it running and needs a tune up. he is running with stripped out interior and only a driver and passenger seat. I believe he is running Just tires no name brand tires. It is not registered Nor insured, but he has driven it around his block and from what he tells me traction is a problem but should make for an interesting match when all said and done, hopefully he doesnt make it too competitive because, we are in cali and I have smog to worry about
Old Jan 8, 2005, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by badhabit90
ahhh evotexas. you are right. i understand that the small block chevy 350/327 are two of the greatest combinations ever. my brother in law had a fully built 327 in his 68 camaro and would tear up the drag strip. hell, his redline on that little 327 was 7.5k i do know a little something about them. i guess the question is just to vague for anyone of us to answer-just to many "what if's" you can have all that HP, but if your gearing isnt correct-he hasnt mentioned that about the firebird-then the car aint gonna **** and git....and i think you know that. they will just have to run each other and find out. then he can mod his evo to beat the firebird. too much bench racing-just run him and find out where you stand.

Quick Reply: What is the Cubic INches of the 4g63?