Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tuning

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2005, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuning

can anybody put together a small tuning guide. kind like how you tune fuel in relation with timing, boost etc...
Thanks in advance for any input.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

small tuning guide... that's like an oxymoron.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

what i meant is general guidelines, one of my friend put an intake, mbc, downpipe and some other stuff. i kept telling him to get the car tuned and when we finally got the car to the dyno he was running 12.9 afr at wot. all i asked is for some guidelines to correct stuff like that until you get hold of a real tuner ( which in most cases takes time).

thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1) AF ratio depends on a lot of things like how safe you want to be, how much throttle you are inputting, what fuel you are using, etc. Generally regarded as a nice mix between safety and power output on pump gas is about 11.5:1. Any richer (lower) and you are just running rich and wasting gas. This is on a FI car. On a NA car you can get away with 13.5:1 or so.

2) Timing should be advanced as much as it can without pinging or knocking. Again, it's dependent on boost level, AF ratio, fuel, etc.

This is nothing in relation to what "tuning" actually connotes. It's just a simple piece of information to get you started. Basically it all depends on the tuner's philosophy and 100 other variables including the ones mentioned above. Good luck.

I recommend you get in touch with Mark at TurboTrix Racing.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

thanks a lot, that is exactly the kind of input i was looking for.

thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 11:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my tuning philosophy is to let the turbo combination and cylinder head make power. i keep the timing and a/f conservative.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
2) Timing should be advanced as much as it can without pinging or knocking. Again, it's dependent on boost level, AF ratio, fuel, etc.
I would put it a little differently. You want only as much timing as it takes to get the maximum consistent torque from the engine (without knocking of course). This is the point at which adding more timing, though it might not induce knock, isn't giving more power either, at least not consistently.

A pretty valuable intro to these and many other topics can be found in the AEM EFI basic guide, which is included in the AEM EMS software distribution. Also can check it out here:

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/A...asics_V1.3.pdf
Old Jan 9, 2005, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ez76
I would put it a little differently. You want only as much timing as it takes to get the maximum consistent torque from the engine (without knocking of course). This is the point at which adding more timing, though it might not induce knock, isn't giving more power either, at least not consistently.

A pretty valuable intro to these and many other topics can be found in the AEM EFI basic guide, which is included in the AEM EMS software distribution. Also can check it out here:

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/A...asics_V1.3.pdf
This is nothing in relation to what "tuning" actually connotes. It's just a simple piece of information to get you started. Basically it all depends on the tuner's philosophy and 100 other variables including the ones mentioned above. Good luck.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe this will help, if you are tuning with a SAFC:

http://www.prostreetonline.com/pso/p...p?articleid=31

Good luck!
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

thanks guys, things are starting to clear a little.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

1) AF ratio depends on a lot of things like how safe you want to be, how much throttle you are inputting, what fuel you are using, etc. Generally regarded as a nice mix between safety and power output on pump gas is about 11.5:1. Any richer (lower) and you are just running rich and wasting gas. This is on a FI car. On a NA car you can get away with 13.5:1 or so.
Does this mean that the stock Evo is wasting a TON of gas?
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Does this mean that the stock Evo is wasting a TON of gas?
yes i think it is around 10, that's why people make a lot of power just with the SAFC with no mods.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 05:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
one thing to keep in mind is that the afc also alters your ignition timing. dialing back your fuel also increases ignition adv.