Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Forbes chooses sti over EVO

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2005, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forbes chooses sti over EVO

http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/2004/12/17/cx_dl_1220featslide_17.html?thisSpeed=20000

Mitsubishi's Lancer Evolution is a worthy competitor, but it has poor owner satisfaction and poor depreciation, as well as a problematic two-star rating (on a five-star scale) in the government's frontal side-impact crash tests. The Subaru, on the other hand, has above-average reliability.
ouch
Old Jan 11, 2005, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

all true
Old Jan 11, 2005, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

I guess it's our faults for complaining so much on here
Old Jan 11, 2005, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

poor owner satisfaction?
Old Jan 11, 2005, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

I don't really believe the crash tests since there have been some very terrible accidents documented here and very few injuries, let alone deaths. As for the poor depreciation, I see used '03s on here all the time for $22-24k, which seems awfully high considering they are a few years old and the base price for new RS models is only a few thousand more. With the better financing on new cars, you could end up paying less.

And poor owner satisfaction? That's very hard to believe. Unless someone buys an Evo because they think it's a nice comfy car for a lazy drive to and from Church on a Sunday afternoon, I don't really see that. Misinformed buyers who bought it for the wrong reasons and the people with warranty issues are dissatisfied, but those are by far the minority.

But hey, I don't own one, so what do I know...
-N
Old Jan 11, 2005, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SirAragorn
poor owner satisfaction?

I'm not satisified with mine. The quality of the car is **** poor for what you pay for it. Warranty is a joke for most people. Try trading your evo in if you dont think they depreciate poorly.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Who cares
Old Jan 11, 2005, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

uhh actually I have tried trading in my Evo. they offered me 23,500 for a used '03 and that was without negotiating. As far as build quality, have you ever driven or even sat in a Sti, there not that great either. In fact my friend who owns one always complains about the wing making noise at high speeds. I have had no problems with my Evo and all the owners that I know around here feel the same way. I think the warranty thing has gotten blown way outa proportion due to some media hype and the fact that Mitsu has been in trouble. go to ANY other car forum and browse for warrenty issues and tell me what you come up with. Who cares anyways, read any true car mag that has done head to head between the Sti and the Evo and tell me who the REAL winner is!!
Old Jan 11, 2005, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

it is forbes, not a recognized car magazine, and really who cares
Old Jan 11, 2005, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The STi is a great car. The interior is much better than the Evo's for sure. Even my old 01 RS didn't have any interior rattles like my 04 Evo has. But I still love the Evo. The STi is definitely easier to drive and the low end torque is awesome. But for the price I got the Evo for, I would still choose it over the STi, but if they cost the same, it would have been a harder choice. Both great cars!
Old Jan 11, 2005, 06:12 AM
choad

Mitsubishi's Lancer Evolution is a worthy competitor, but it has poor owner satisfaction and poor depreciation, as well as a problematic two-star rating (on a five-star scale)
Poor owner satisfaction?

Poor depreciation?

Poor reliabilty?

I don't know about you people, but I haven't experienced any of that.
And I can tell you that the STi took a harder hit for depreciation than the EVO.
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GrimDog
I'm not satisified with mine. The quality of the car is **** poor for what you pay for it. Warranty is a joke for most people. Try trading your evo in if you dont think they depreciate poorly.
i got 20,000.00 $ trade value at a dealer for my 03 and that was his first offer. i think that's pretty good since yuo can get one for around 24k.
Evolving Member

The only reason I can see poor owner satisfaction is if a) you didn't realize you were getting an Evo...thought you were getting a luxury car or something or b) you had warranty problems (which isn't uncommon.) Everybody I know that has one that knew what they were getting, loves it.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 06:50 AM

mitsubishi sucks and the statements from forbes is true...read this site...how many have problems rejected by dealer...how many are manufacturers defects not being fixed.....seriously i wouldn't be surprised if this company just goes bankrupt..
Old Jan 11, 2005, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

^^^ who are u

Quick Reply: Forbes chooses sti over EVO