Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

advans in rain and cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2005, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
advans in rain and cold weather?

will the stock advans be ok to use on rain and cold weather?
Old Jan 11, 2005, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think there fine in the rain i just use a bit of extra caution when its wet on the roads. i also set the acd to gravel.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

does the soft rubber cmpd be bad during below zero weather?
Old Jan 11, 2005, 07:53 PM

they're fine on wet roads. just dont push it, and if you have an '05, set the acd to "gravel". the main problem people have is when expecting it to stick to the ground like it does in the dry. let me make it clear: its still ridiculously fast in the rain, but nowhere near as fast as in the dry. keep rpms higher in the powerband (above 4000 rpms) if on twisties, so you can pull her out of trouble if you have to.

Just my observations.

Benny
Old Jan 11, 2005, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Exteamly bad when your in the cold, Your car will slid as if it was on a frozen lake. I suggest you buying a good winter tire. Any thing under 40 degress is bad news
Old Jan 11, 2005, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

i dont really plan to drive my car in the snow, here in chicago, it doesnt really snow all winter long.....so w/ the cold weather( no snow) will my Advans still be ok?
Old Jan 11, 2005, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Nope If it hit below freezing the can crack on you. Say if it's cold out side and you hit a pot hole and your tires are warmed up. they may crack or blow out. I know a few poeple this happen to. Just a word of warning, but it doesn't happen very often.

Ask these guys on this thread

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...hreadid=116475

Last edited by EVO_JOE; Jan 11, 2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, get rid of the Advans asap, they should get rid of themselves ASAP enough if you drive on them really hard
Old Jan 11, 2005, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

When i first got my evo in dec 03 it snowed the first week i had it. The Tires were horrible, the brakes wouldn't work right, Just grinding. And wouldn't slow down. THis was going 5 mph and trying to stop on a hill. Scared the bejesus out of me. I wish my first purchase back then was a set of tires for the street, but nothing ever happened to my baby so i guess Someones watchin out for me!!! BE Carefull on the ADVANS though I don't know if they still have the warning sticker on the door. I laughed when i first saw it, then later almost cried because i didn't take it all in...
Old Jan 11, 2005, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

The warning sticker speaks the truth. Get a good set of all seasons for times when the temps are below 40F.

Cabo
Old Jan 11, 2005, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Wow you guys like to tear up on the Advans.... I live in NC and we've seen rain, sun and snow all within a week period and my 13K mile Yokos held up just fine through all three. It's all about how cautious you are when you drive. It was a little slippery in some spots when we had the ice storm a couple weeks ago, but then again name a tire that will do any good on ice unless it has spikes on them?
Old Jan 11, 2005, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by freddiet
the brakes wouldn't work right, Just grinding. And wouldn't slow down.
That's your ABS kicking in. They can only do so much when you have the Advans on and are in the snow.

Cabo
Old Jan 11, 2005, 08:25 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Someone should make a sticky about Advans and wet/cold.
If you just want to get around they should be fine but...

If your terrain involves hills and dips, it's cold wet or even snowy, the chances are that you won't be able to stop even when going slow. The soft compound is only soft when they are properly warmed up which in cold weather is next to impossible. In other words, the tires are gonna be as if you're riding on plastic not rubber - rock solid.

If you just want to get around and it's flat surface, get a few psi of air out and you'll be fine.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Get Snow Tires

I also live in Chicago and I have AVS Winter tires. City of Chicago is great for clearing snow, but no amount of driving time will warm your tires on a cold day. You are screwed trying to drive in the cold on the stock Yokos.

I got mine from Just Tires on Broadway and Lawrence. Open up a charge account with them if you don't have the money. Either pay $800 for winter tires or pay your $500 deductible after you slide into something!

The good part is that you're damn near invincible when you have snow tires. You have to really TRY to get the car sideways in snow. This means you won't have any troubles during your daily drive.

GET SNOW TIRES. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

does our snow tires have to be the same spec as the stock? my brother has a set of winter tires still new for his Bimmer w/c he's not using anymore, i paln to just get new rims for it but it's not same spec as the advans.......is this ok?

Quick Reply: advans in rain and cold weather?