Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

aluminum pedals...is it all bling?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2005 | 11:50 AM

Hey when you guys heel toe, do you double clutch or just single clutch during your blip? Thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2005 | 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Single clutch in. When I heal toe the point of it for me is to charge at the corner, brake hard, heal toe to blip the trottle, quickly clutch in, downshift, clutch out.
Old Jan 12, 2005 | 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by abcdef
Hey when you guys heel toe, do you double clutch or just single clutch during your blip? Thanks.
i usually don't double clutch at all. just make sure you have your clutch in when blipping for the downshift, and are comfortable with releasing the clutch while adding gas with the heel of your right foot (and easing off of the brake with your toe).

just the way that works best for me. i have tried double-clutching sometimes, and it works fine, just is a little bit slower to shift. much safer though as theres less possibility of roasting the clutch. however, i have found that the best way to teach someone how to heel/toe downshift is by first learning to be very comfortable with how to double-clutch.

Benny
Old Jan 12, 2005 | 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by hkfeet
Single clutch in. When I heal toe the point of it for me is to charge at the corner, brake hard, heal toe to blip the trottle, quickly clutch in, downshift, clutch out.
hmm maybe im missing something here but if you didnt clutch in before blipping the throttle, then you would simply be increasing speed and not be "blipping" the throttle to match the rpms with the downshift. did you mean you charge at the corner, brake hard, clutch in, heel/toe blip, downshift, then clutch out?

p.s. i try to downshift earlier in my routine, right after clutching in, because i find i have more time on the exit to concentrate on the heel/toe blip and especially clutching out for a fast slingshot out of the corner.
Old Jan 12, 2005 | 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

I like aftermarket pedals because you can move the brake and gas closer together for heel-toe braking.

P.S. I superglue grip-tape on my brake and clutch pedal to get that mugen'ish non slip grip on my pedals. works great and looks fine
Old Jan 12, 2005 | 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry typo, clutch in, brake/blip trottle(heal toe), clutch out.
Old Jan 12, 2005 | 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Derek888
I really like the aluminum pedals because it looks really nice but is there any benefits if you install them? The stock ones feel pretty good and has a nice soft rubber feel but if the aluminum ones really are better then I might just go and get some of Razo's for about 30 bucks.
IMO, aluminum pedals are a personal preference and they look 100x better than the stock rubber.

I picked up some Momo pedals from sounddomain.com for about $35. They don't fit perfect and required some creative modifications to get them to fit, but they work. (They are drill type pedals, not cheapo clamp-on ones like Pepboys sells.) They have a slight texture to the aluminum that matches the evo steering wheel and wet shoes grip just fine. The particular pedals I have also come with rubber inserts if you want more grip, but like I said, they required some creativity to install.

Old Jan 12, 2005 | 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Pretty good deal for those pedals and they look good. It would even better if you have a matching dead pedal.
Old Jan 12, 2005 | 12:18 PM

those momos look nice! what modifications did you have to do to make it fit?
Old Jan 12, 2005 | 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolveMR
those momos look nice! what modifications did you have to do to make it fit?
Thanks!

I basically just relocated the drill holes, accompanied with lots of swearing and bloody knuckles to get the pedals to fit right. When I was trying to install them I could tell they were not made for the EVO - but unfortunately I didn't discover this until after I had already began drilling holes. Being subborn, I decided to just made them fit.

If I had to do it over, I would probably send them back or sell them and get a different set of pedals that was specifically designed for the EVO.

But after all my troubles I think they look pretty good, and I'm happy with 'em.
Old Jan 12, 2005 | 01:55 PM
Account Disabled

I like the ones that actually replace the stock rubber things then going over it.

anyway, you could double clutch toe and heel or single, depends on what mood you're in. lol
Old Jan 13, 2005 | 03:02 AM
Evolved Member

i got ti pedals from ralliart because i don't like the width of the rubber pedal covers on stock... always feel like i might stab the clutch then slip off it in mid gearshift which would so something way horrible... makes me cringe just thinking about it, so the grip tape only puts my heart at more ease. but stock pedals are the perfect distance and everything... just those lil rubber covers... erk me.
Old Jan 13, 2005 | 04:09 AM
Evolving Member

I got my momo's from sounddomain as well. A little different model than above. http://www.sounddomain.com/item/MOMCH1111
I like them very much. They made heal and toe easier. The metal ridges in the pedals make them not slip and they don't wear out like rubber. I had momo grand prix on an old car and the rubber wore out quickly.