Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car and Driver EVO vs STi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car and Driver EVO vs STi

From STi boards:

They tested the EVO MR against the STi in the normal run of tests and yeah, the EVO wins on the track and is praised for its razor sharp handling. blah blah blah....it goes on the same as always. then on the next pages they test the two cars with identical tires in a testing ground that offers less than ideal traction. a spot where half the car is on the dry and half is on the wet, guess what folks, the STi stops the EVO MR everytime due to its rear biased torque split of 35/65. at times in excess of a half second. the also did one test, a deccelerating slalom, very strange but the STi annhilated the EVO although it loses the accelerating slalom by a fraction of a second. so the STi is better at putting the power to the ground in traction limited situations....can you say rally?
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

It's true, I read the article, it was really funny, you have to realize that it's an '05 MR and an '05 STi...dunno why they always use the MRs in the tests...better freeway gas mileage i guess, they shoulda used the RS instead
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

at least they have a sense of humor
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:30 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rally cars are completely different beast. Anyone who compares production model evo and sti to wrc racing cars are a dolt.

but STI does handle well on limited traction areas. I've noticed that, but not that much better off.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Can you say TARMAC? It's what we drive on! Keep in mind that a rally car properly set up to win races on tarmac has very poor handling in "traction limited" situations.

FWIW, I still love the STi for it's adjustable torque split, but we are on an evo board after all.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:33 PM

Just goes to show that in real world situations (where traction isn't ideal and both cars are on the same tires) that the STi comes out on top. Unless your car is garage kept and only brought out to go to road tracks.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

And decelerating slalom? What the hell is that? That's like saying, "well reverse gear is taller on the STi, so it's max reverse speed is higher than the MR so the STi is better."

Don't know if that's true or not ;-)
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

that doesn't show ****.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

On the other hand I wish all comparo tests would put both cars on the same tires. Then you really get to see some interesting things come out. That's why they call the advans "magazine tires."
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

At least this Troll is making progress. This is better than the Forbes article, but by no means does it want me to trade my Evo for an STi.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:39 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by eevoo
And decelerating slalom? What the hell is that? That's like saying, "well reverse gear is taller on the STi, so it's max reverse speed is higher than the MR so the STi is better."

Don't know if that's true or not ;-)
damn, they win. can't touch that reverse speed.

I like comparison discussion with STI better than SRT-4. it's just more fun.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Why is real lif driving traction limited? I would so maybe 1% of real daily driving is milted traction.

And you know all those real life decellerating slaloms we go through on the way to work.

Last edited by LEVIII; Jan 17, 2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LEVIII
Why is real lif driving traction limited? I would so maybe 1% of real daily driving is milted traction.

And you know all those real life decellerating sloloms we go through on the way to work.
STi owner to Evo owner: hey bud, I challenge you to a race, but only if you let me borrow your tires and we go to this one track i know that is watered down and oh yea, one last thing, we gotta race in reverse.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by twinevo
STi owner to Evo owner: hey bud, I challenge you to a race, but only if you let me borrow your tires and we go to this one track i know that is watered down and oh yea, one last thing, we gotta race in reverse.
And you're blindfolded and gagged.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:54 PM
Account Disabled

while rabid wolves knaw on ur sack.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver EVO vs STi