Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

It's a sad day when STi guys are doing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2005, 09:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hueman
to be fair SCC has a project STi also.

but yeah, i mean it makes soooooo much sense that mitsu is paying off these magazines:

-they have no money
-the evo is not sold en masse like their other cars
-it's a completely niche car
-they see the sense in spending money to buy off the magazines for a car that clearly will NEVER come close to making them the money a camry-esque or civic-esque vehicle might

yeah, it makes perfect sense
Are you telling me the STI is not a niche car?
Mitsubishi's financial status is not as bad as everyone thinks!
The EVO is sold like the STi therefore competion would be the same
Did you ever think that project STi was created because they fell short and never made a project WRX...they didnt see the 4 door AWD trend coming and now the magazine is playing catchup
There is good money in the EVO and STI otherwise they would not make them, basic marketing concept would tell you that
Old Jan 17, 2005, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joe's_EVO8
yeah but Top Gear guys always pick the Scoobie...so I think they are all opinions and should be left at that.
what do you mean pick the scoobie the top gears I watch they lean for the evo for performance unless the skyline jumps in lol I see your point about opinions I just wanted to point out that its not just in the states that everyone loves the evo and it seems to get better marks.

Last edited by EidolaDream; Jan 17, 2005 at 09:52 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you telling me the STI is not a niche car?
Mitsubishi's financial status is not as bad as everyone thinks!
The EVO is sold like the STi therefore competion would be the same
Did you ever think that project STi was created because they fell short and never made a project WRX...they didnt see the 4 door AWD trend coming and now the magazine is playing catchup
There is good money in the EVO and STI otherwise they would not make them, basic marketing concept would tell you that
i never said sti wasn't a niche car. why would i need to? they're both clearly not mainstream vehicles, thus the money-making potential is nil compared to a successful camry/civic competitor. that's what i was saying; i don't think there'd be a point in paying off the mags if the return is not there. it'd be a pretty crappy investment imo... they win a battle but lose the huge war? if you really think they'd offer street rally cars if wrc regulations didn't make them, then ok....but what do i know?

...i certainly know that SCC isn't making a project sti because they missed the awd trend...

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...wrx/index.html
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

whats sad about the STi is that they don't get the Spec C...if they had that car here in the states EVO's would be getting crushed.

FROM the thread:
i love the way evo's look...too bad the IX looks like wet poop...

This shows you the typical STi mentality. Maybe if they drove an EVO they would see why it is better than a STi
I would say the Spec C is maybe a little faster than a USDM MR. It couldnt even get by the JDM Evo RS in that video. If we got either the FQ320 or FQ400 it wouldnt even be funny.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:06 PM
Former Sponsor

i did not know they had a project WRX!

Although you have to admit that just bringing it her for WRC alone is not enough for the accountants, yet they have to make money, so the EVO/STi is meant to make money, you cannot doubt that. You understand the sell by volume concept as with civic/camry, although both makers have to see the availability making money in the segment of the STI/EVO. If there was not money to be made the cars would not have been brought here.

Either way I'm glad to have the EVO, and the 4G63 and the STI being the EJ25 missed the Spec C's true heart by keeping the EJ20 and mkaing things better. I think that is where Subaru messed up mainly with the STi. Although they had to justify the extra price tag and of course MOST people understand a bigger engine usually costs more. Although in reality it probably is not that much.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

For me, both Evo and Sti are awesome cars. The tests made on both cars are very close results, I'll make both of them number 1. If only i have extra cash, I'll also buy the Sti. Evo and Sti both Best of the Best IMO!
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

well I guess the point is most of us are sitting here thinking scoobie realm just did this test to make them feel better for once about there car, if that is true or not who knows just feels that way I guess. However in the end I could care less because to ME the evo is sexy and the sti is ugly and I know my car is fast.. Not close to the fastest but fast none the less and gives me all the thrills I need.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by EVO Enthusiast
I had an STi. Sold it for the Evo. Haven't looked back.
There it's settle, cased closed

EVO > STi
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Thats a weird thread. Usually the STI guys are pretty good sports. I guess everyone has a breaking point, and that guy just couldn't stand the STI getting dogged in the head-to-head competitions anymore.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

i love how that "da noob" guy calls the evo owners asses for doing exactly what the STi owners on that same thread are doing.

remember, everyone on here has a lot at stake in defending their own car choices. The Sti owner's would not have questioned the C&D results if they were favorable towards the Sti.

Theyre just frustrated that every single test comes out with the Evo on top . . . which may or may not be entirely accurate. But running around a track with two different drivers in cars with various aftermarket parts and coming to a conclusion that one must necessarily be better than the other is just poor logic. Actually, i wouldn't even bother to call it any kind of logic at all. Just rambling really . . .
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:01 PM
Former Sponsor

I personally could care less about what everyone else thinks in regards to my car, if I like it I don't care what the magazines say.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

i love to hear **** like this.. its awesome. he is the racing guru... he knows it all its a big conspiracy.. mitsu with their billions of surplus dollars is bribing EVERY publication in the world. The secret is finally out. Subarus dont understeer.. it was just a myth turned into an urban ledgend. were all fools for buying evos. forget the fact that tuners prefer the evo, they were bought out too. forget the fact that sti motors blow after 400+whp. forget the mushy steering and suspension, forget teh ghastly unsupportive seats and the glued on wing and the 225s. THE STAI IS JUST A BETTER CAR. EVERYONE NEEDS TO UNDERSTAND THIS. ITS MORE EXPENSIVE, HAS MORE BASE HP, HAS A 6SPD and a SOFT COMFY RIDE AND A BEAUTIFUL INTERIOR. plus some guy on the internet is telling us it is better.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

most subie guys admit that the evo is a better car out of teh box. all the guys i see at teh track admit to teh understeer. but they also usually say that the two cars are so close that in teh end it is up to the driver. and i believe this to a certain extent. but this guy is clearly pissed that his more expensive car is hated on by all the mags and people in the know. (ie tuners and magazines) i think he cries everytime he reads mags about how teh evo trounces the sti with less power. In the end its one guy against a world of opposition so WHO TEH HELL CARES WHAT THIS GUY SAYS. and how hard core can a guy be if he just gets lowerings springs anyways?

side not.. why buy an enzo when u could buy an sti and some $200 springs and a $200 sway bar? and run faster times. plus u get to enjoy a soft comfy ride in seats that would offend a toyota camry driver.

Last edited by Vishnu_Evo8; Jan 17, 2005 at 11:28 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As primarily an STi owner, I hate to admit it but I agree with a lot of you. How could anyone really take this comparison seriously when there is a complete lack of basis for comparison. After those mods it's like comparing apples and gorillas. Nice attempt at a point on his part, but I think he executed it poorly.

That said, I own both an '03 EVO and an '05 STi. Stock for stock, I would say that the STi handles equal or better. The magazine times even supported this. With springs and bars, it handles better than our EVO. I also think that there is definitely a learning curve with the STi and it's DCCD that may make drivers think that it understeers. Even stock, unless you cook a corner entry, it steers...plenty. Same on exit.

Having not driven an '05 EVO or MR yet, I will refrain from direct comparison, but will gather that it's improvements will likely make it handle even better which is saying a lot (read: already great car).

In the end, I love both cars. Each does different things better than the other. Pick whichever one you like, drive the snot out of it and quit worrying about which car the magazines say is better. Just be glad that these days you have a choice.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would never say "trounces"

and i would never go as far as to say the evo "owns" the sti in anything. may beat it, but not "owns." i think we're blowing the slim victories wayyyyy outta proportion. i mean c'mon, the mr barely edges out the sti right now... wouldn't suprise me to see the GSR lose straight up to the STi.

Quick Reply: It's a sad day when STi guys are doing