Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Seating Positoin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2005, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seating Positoin

Do most people sit close or far away to the steering wheel?
Me personaly I feel better when I sit far away but I feel like I have more control of the wheel when I sit about 3-5in closer than normal.
Which is better?
Old Jan 18, 2005, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

I use to sit farther away than I do now, you know...the gangster lean...but I found that it really wasn't very comfortable for long trips and I didn't feel like I had complete control of the car.

Now I sit such that with my back fully against the seat my elbows have a slight bend to them when at the 10 & 2 positions. Not to much of a bend but enough so that you don't have to lean forward to turn the damn wheel all the way to one side. As far as my feet are concerned, I pull the seat forward until the clutch pedal will bottom out on the floor when my leg is fully exstended (also with a slight bend to the knee).

Now that I do this I feel much more in control and I found I am actually more comfortable driving than before.

Hope that helps!
Old Jan 18, 2005, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

When I went to my first driving school (not for traffic violation, for racing), they had me sit MUCH closer than I wanted to...I felt kinda crammed. They wanted quick, small hand movements, so they wanted me close and with bent arms. They said there was more control, and after getting over the cramped feeling, I agreed. So, after getting used to that, I sit closer than I used to...the biggest problem is if I sit too close, my leg hits the steering wheel when I heel/toe...

In the end, sit where you're most comfortable, and when making adjustments (trying new things a bit), I'd suggest small changes to see if you can adjust and if it's comfortable during a normal morning drive.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

I sit very close, it feels just like i've got more control of whats going on. I usually put my seat up so my right knee is resting on the dash.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Recaros got me in the habit of sitting much more upright than I had previously. As ty-evo8 said, I sit with my back fully upright and my head an inch or two from the headrest. Everytime I get in someone else's car, I'm astonished at how reclined they sit -- especially new drivers.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I wish my parents had told me to sit up straight when they were teaching me to drive. I actually learned to drive stick on a tractor, which had almost zero back support. As a result, I hunched over the wheel. When I started driving cars, I kept the some posture but reclined slighty. I was still hunched, but hunched towards the wheel if that makes any sense.

This car has made be a better driver in so many ways.

d
Old Feb 17, 2005, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

I'm 6'5" so I have to recline the seat back so my head is not banging on the roof. I also have to sit even further back w/ my helmet on, b/c if I don't my neck is bent to the side (not safe at all) .

I emailed Recaro and they said they forwarded it on to their Director of Engineering, and Director of Aftermarket Sales, but I doubt I will get a reply from them.

I might be switching to Sparco if I can't find a way to lower the Recaros.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

I have short arms and long legs....not freekishly but enough to make a seating in cars very intresting without adjustable stearing. I sit relativly close, but to far for anyone under 6 feet tall. The chair is almost 90 degrees....it was leaned back but I found it works much better if your back is actually on the chair.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 02:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm a short bastard, sit "all up ons" the steering wheel, seat in upright position and have seat pillows to support my neck, took the pillows out the other day to see how I liked it without them and bah, I am hooked
Old Feb 18, 2005, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

I learned in driving school that your seat position should be at such a distance that when your arms are extended your wrists would hang over the top of the steering wheel.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Im short and I sit close to the steering wheel for better control of the steering, shifting, and heal toe
Old Feb 18, 2005, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

I have to sit semi-close because of my short legs. Isn't oxymoron to sit gangsta lean in Recaros? Funny thing when my brother rides shotgun with me. He has to adjust the seat gangsta style, but you know that's no easy task with our Recaros. I usually tell him to suck it up and sit up straight for 10 minutes.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

I saw a program on TV from an autoshow, where an instructor was telling the trainee how to sit properly in the car. Move the seat forward/back to the point where you press in the clutch while having your knee still a little bent. Make sure to be seated all the way back in your seat. Now, lean the backrest forward/back until you have your outstretched arm over the steering wheel and your back against the seat plus your wrist right over the wheel. At this point, when you put your hands at the 10/2 positions, you should have a perfect bend of your elbows...and be safe from the bag hurting you from being too close.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by kdogg
I have to sit semi-close because of my short legs. Isn't oxymoron to sit gangsta lean in Recaros? Funny thing when my brother rides shotgun with me. He has to adjust the seat gangsta style, but you know that's no easy task with our Recaros. I usually tell him to suck it up and sit up straight for 10 minutes.

I sit pretty close, but when I autocross, I sit even closer to shave those cones.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

I sit probably a foot away from the wheel with the back pretty straight up...I basically turn the Recaros into non-positionable race seats, cuz that's what I'm used to racing/driving in...and my hands be at 9 and 3 most of the time, 'cept when I'm lazy, then I usually have one had right around 6, but that rarely happens
Old Feb 18, 2005, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

When i'm driving spiritly, I sit up close but when i'm just cruising, I lean the seat back and just get comfortable. I never really move the seat back or forth, I just lean the back part down/up. I always make sure I can reach the pedals good and that my wrist are right above the steering wheel.