Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is it possible to steal an Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2005, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get an alarm regardless, it's cheap insurance when used w/ factory imobilizer in key.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes only the 05 STis have the chipped key. so far i haven't heard of any 05 thefts, pleanty of attempted thefts though. dude was in newark paying his cell phone bill and some punks tried stealing his 05. they couldnt start it so they tried to push it away. he noticed and chased after them, the pusher car took off leaving the 16year old driver in the STi. the owner dragged him out and beat him. LOL

god knows what subaru was thinking putting a turbo/AWD car out there with frameless windows and no immobilizer.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 09:11 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that money went to a fansy interior with electroluminescent gauges. lol
Old Jan 19, 2005, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to say this... But the reason why Evo's arent stolen as much as Wrx's and hondas isnt neccessarily because they are more difficult to steal, but because they are in significantly lower demand. Alot of stolen cars are either joyridden or taken and dismantled for parts. There is a much greater market for stolen civic parts considering how inexpensive the car is and how many of them are out there. With that said, I can assure you that Evo's are not terribly difficult to steal. Chipped keys are little more than a feel good feature for buyers. Good thiefs have the keys. I agree that the frameless windows are easier to flex out and get inside the vehicle. I really believe that evos are less stolen because of a smaller market for them and less of them on the road not because they are difficult to take.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 09:14 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i don't know where you're getting this information, but it's really not about the demands.

half the time the cars are stolen, not for resale purposes, but for joyriding.

if you can't hotwire it, how are you going to steal it?

its not the supply and demand, it's that difficult for the immobilizer to be stolen.

my prelud had that and rate of stolen prelude was very few (hi-jack) to say civic, which is about the easiest thing to steal.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2GDSM
I hate to say this... But the reason why Evo's arent stolen as much as Wrx's and hondas isnt neccessarily because they are more difficult to steal, but because they are in significantly lower demand. Alot of stolen cars are either joyridden or taken and dismantled for parts. There is a much greater market for stolen civic parts considering how inexpensive the car is and how many of them are out there. With that said, I can assure you that Evo's are not terribly difficult to steal. Chipped keys are little more than a feel good feature for buyers. Good thiefs have the keys. I agree that the frameless windows are easier to flex out and get inside the vehicle. I really believe that evos are less stolen because of a smaller market for them and less of them on the road not because they are difficult to take.
I have to agree with this quote. Lets be honest the evo comes stock with an immolbizler and locking doors, at least thats what i got along with a wireless engine starter. Its like the chips u have to put into a certain spot to start the car, same feature but wireless. Anyway he is right its just a piece of mind. I think the evos could be stolen just as easily as the STI's but because there are more of them there is more theft. Bottom line if someone really wants to steal ur car and is good enough, he can do it. Sorry there is no security alarm in the world that is not impenetrable.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:39 PM

It's not about if it will stop the thief, all protections simply help to delay a thief.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:46 PM

Actually there was an article in EVO mag that had the number of reports of stolen Evos in Russia to be more than the number of Evos in Russia. This means there have been Evos there stolen multiple times.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Quickshift
Lojack is just a locator , not an alarm ! You have to know its stolen , before you can get it located and if it was stolen when you went some where and came back 5 hrs later. I could possibly be anywhere
You could have lo jack with early warning system. if the vehicle is moved without

the lockjack remote, they'll alert you right away. (to 4 different phone #s and

an email).

i have the early warning system and i feel safe. i have tested how fast they contact

me if i move the car without the remote and it was less than 5mins. it's better than

reporting it 5hrs after car was stolen.

Last edited by [TYPE]SS; Jan 19, 2005 at 10:56 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:23 PM

I remember reading an interview a while back. About a guy they finally arrested. He could take any car and his max time was 30 seconds. Yes the time it takes you to walk across the parking like into Walmart, the guy is already bombing down the highway to his warehouse to get some money of your car. He told all his methods very breifly. I must say there is no way to stop a thief you can only to try to drag the fight out long enough for him to get caught.

-pade
Old Jan 20, 2005, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

you are a newbie and you ask if its possible to steal a evo

its funny how some of us acutlly answer the question

dont you guy ever think that he could be trying to jack one?
Old Jan 20, 2005, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

If they get past the immobilizer, it would take them some time to find a kill switch if you install one in a hidden location, and that could be long enough for them to walk away.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Immobilizer
Alarm
Garage
Gun
Insurance

I got it covered...no worries...
Old Jan 20, 2005, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tureno-AE86
you are a newbie and you ask if its possible to steal a evo

its funny how some of us acutlly answer the question

dont you guy ever think that he could be trying to jack one?
Please!! I'm 35 years old, married, and have four children. I teach mathematics in Coalinga, California. I'm a bona fide math geek (really). I have no intention of stealing an Evo ("Yes honey, Daddy has to spend time in prison because he didn't want to have to pay for a car"). As I mentioned before, I am curious about how effective these newfangled anti-theft devices are. And that is that!
Old Jan 20, 2005, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...hreadid=118433

lol

Quick Reply: Is it possible to steal an Evo?