Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is it possible to steal an Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2005, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mathgeek
Please!! I'm 35 years old, married, and have four children. I teach mathematics in Coalinga, California. I'm a bona fide math geek (really). I have no intention of stealing an Evo ("Yes honey, Daddy has to spend time in prison because he didn't want to have to pay for a car"). As I mentioned before, I am curious about how effective these newfangled anti-theft devices are. And that is that!

you just can't never be 2careful online cuz ppl would do anything

since youa re a mathgeek maybe you can help on my calculus homework
i cant' figure it out so i'm on here reading posts

what is the best way to under stand the limit function
Old Jan 20, 2005, 02:58 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
theives don't like delay. they want to get out within 5 minutes.

there is this thing that I heard about....
Old Jan 20, 2005, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Originally Posted by [TYPE]SS
You could have lo jack with early warning system. if the vehicle is moved without

the lockjack remote, they'll alert you right away. (to 4 different phone #s and

an email).

i have the early warning system and i feel safe. i have tested how fast they contact

me if i move the car without the remote and it was less than 5mins. it's better than

reporting it 5hrs after car was stolen.
Yeah I wanted know how that systems works. Cause I had a 00 Honda SI Turbo and that was stolen with an alarm that I thought was pretty damn good. I had a Clifford Solaris with the blackjax feature and they still got my car and stripped the ever living hell out of it. But does the early detection lojack have an audiable alarm to it? Oh yeah and how much does it cost with install?
Old Jan 20, 2005, 03:42 PM

The dealership where I got my Evo, Arapahoe Mitsu in Denver, said they had 2 brand new Evos stolen off the lot one night. They have aftermarket alarms in all their Evos which was nice because I didn't have to get it installed somewhere else. I've also got lojack just in case. I guess they have a problem with people stealing the manual out of the Evos too.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tureno-AE86
you just can't never be 2careful online cuz ppl would do anything

since youa re a mathgeek maybe you can help on my calculus homework
i cant' figure it out so i'm on here reading posts

what is the best way to under stand the limit function
I don't know exactly what you mean by "a limit function". Since you are presumably at the beginning of the spring semester, I assume that you are studying the definition of limits and the various computational techniques used to evaluate them. I'd be happy to help you with this. Calculus is my specialty, having taught it for 10 years. However, I'm fairly limited by the text capabilities of this chat forum. You can e-mail me with specific questions and I can respond that way, if you like.

kennethsowden@yahoo.com OR kennethsowden@westhillscollege.com
Old Jan 20, 2005, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

well its mth 173 i'm not sure how its listed at schools where you at

section 2.1 is limits and derivatives

whre you find the tangent line, but for some reason it also talkea bout the secant line wher ei'm getting confused
Old Jan 20, 2005, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
hey mathgeek; i live in fresno... i have an alarm on my evo because here you have to worry more about vandalism and some punk trying to take your wing off or smash and grab as opposed to actual car theft... i got a clifford rsx3.5 w/ backup battery and other goodies... stay away from turbo timers and remote start and you'll be good to go. I wouldn't feel safe parking my car at riverpark in fresno w/out a pager alarm as i've known too many people who've had cars stolen, vandalized, or towed from that place.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

he's probably taking about the definition of a derivative where you try to take a limit as h->0 [ f(x+h) - f(x) ] / h . Best way to think about that is you know the derivative is basically a slope of the tangent line and you start off with some large h and find the slope of that with respect to the function @ a point and as h goes to 0, you have a true tangent line and arriving @ your slope function. Mathgeek I use to drive by coalinga all the time going back to school @ Cal, must kinda suck to teach there....cuz of the cows... =P
Old Jan 20, 2005, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

can we close this topic, please. the thought of a stolen evo scares me. it also brings a sharp pain to my nutz.

Last edited by LostSoul Evo; Jan 20, 2005 at 04:45 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LostSoul Evo
it also brings a sharp pain to my nutz.
Why is that??? Cause we will cut the nutz off anyone caught stealing an evo?
Old Jan 20, 2005, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tama_mog
he's probably taking about the definition of a derivative where you try to take a limit as h->0 [ f(x+h) - f(x) ] / h . Best way to think about that is you know the derivative is basically a slope of the tangent line and you start off with some large h and find the slope of that with respect to the function @ a point and as h goes to 0, you have a true tangent line and arriving @ your slope function. Mathgeek I use to drive by coalinga all the time going back to school @ Cal, must kinda suck to teach there....cuz of the cows... =P
Yeah, Coalinga has more cows than people. Incidentally, the above explanation is very good. I hope it helps the individual who is having difficulty.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Angry Some people are just plain bad

Originally Posted by FresnoEVO
hey mathgeek; i live in fresno... i have an alarm on my evo because here you have to worry more about vandalism and some punk trying to take your wing off or smash and grab as opposed to actual car theft... i got a clifford rsx3.5 w/ backup battery and other goodies... stay away from turbo timers and remote start and you'll be good to go. I wouldn't feel safe parking my car at riverpark in fresno w/out a pager alarm as i've known too many people who've had cars stolen, vandalized, or towed from that place.
That's surprising. I've always been under the impression that Riverpark was one of the nicer areas of Fresno. I live in the Tower District of Fresno and since I've owned my Eclipse (18 mos.) I've had it keyed and had the rear passenger window smashed in an attempted burglary. Seems like there are some people that just won't let anyone own anything nice. I've never understood the mentality of "keying" a car. Is the intended statement, "I want this, but I can't afford it, so #$&! you"?
Old Jan 20, 2005, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Yes to your question. The deal is, you need to know more about the system than someone would take the time to do for a joyride. A pro can steal anything, if they want it bad enough. Anything you can do to slow them down is a plus, they don't want to do time, ever.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mathgeek
Unless I'm mistaken, all Evo's come standard with an anti-theft immobilizer device. That being said, how can one steal an Evo (short of towing it away)? My Eclipse has the same device, as do a lot of cars nowadays. Are they easy to circumvent? The only reason I ask is because someone posted a thread a couple of days ago after having stopped a couple of guys trying to burglarize his car. He mentioned that a police officer told him that "these cars" are stolen all the time.
/offtopic

I had a vehicle you couldn't even tow away- a '93 Landcruiser with 315/60/16 mud tires weighing 7480 lbs- too heavy to lift, all wheel drive, could be parked anywhere without fear of being stolen- because no one wanted it

/endofftopic

Professional thieves can always steal your car if given enough time. I think the immobilizer would help slow them down, but the Evo stands out enough I'd be worried about the nonprofessional joyriders. I'd suggest a really loud alarm when you park it anywhere other than home.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

One other point ...
A lot of a$$holes will beat the **** out of your car if they can't steal it.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to steal an Evo?