Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

think I can fill the shift knob with lead?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2005, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
think I can fill the shift knob with lead?

I am looking heavily into a new shift knob. I want a counterweighted one, and very heavy at that (1 lb!!) but I can't find one I like and don't want metal (too hot or cold) and I want it heavier than that 6 oz leather one that mach V offers...
so, you think I can drill a small hole inside the stock one and fill er up with lead or something to make her nice and heavy?
Old Jan 21, 2005, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Errr.. umm.. that doesn't sound too safe. Are you going to melt lead and fill up your shift knob? I guess you can try buying a stock shift knob to cut open to see if the inside is hollow.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 01:50 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeh, i don't think that plastic insides' going to hold that, but you could try and tell us.

That or get a heavy shift knob in metal and cover in leather.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
yeh, i don't think that plastic insides' going to hold that, but you could try and tell us.

That or get a heavy shift knob in metal and cover in leather.
If you could find fine-grain lead shot like they used to put in shotgun shells a long time ago, you may be able to fill it and cap it without melting lead.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

yea... I just tried drilling into it from the inside and I think the plastic is solid for the most part... thought it would be hollow. there goes that. any other thoughts on how to do this? leather wrapping an already expensive metal one is all the more expensive, so that's sort of out of the question, not to mention I'd really like a low profile (short) knob that is really heavy, unlike the razo one (which is the heaviest Ive seen, 450 grams) which is tubular.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Raid a shop class and Make one yourself. I had a friend who did it in high school for the same reason. It was a lead ball, then he poored aluminum cast over it. it truned out pretty nice but it broke 6months later.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

or heres a solution idk if this is a doable idea. BUT, if you have a perfect sphere somehwere, you can just get some lead put it in there so it forms, whe it cools take it to a shop, have them center drill it, and thread it so it fits the stock threads... i mena idk what you can find to use, but maybe like idk.. but look around i'm sure you can find somthing
Old Jan 21, 2005, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Why don't you try a 450g knob before you decide you need more? I have the Razo 340g GT Advance knob in my car and I think it's enough.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 02:26 PM

Have you thought about getting some Kartboy shifter bushings if you're looking to improve the feel of the shift lever? Probably cheaper than a shift knob, and only 20x harder to install.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 04:02 PM
Account Disabled

I think 340 G is a bit heavier than I want, but it works great.

You have to remember that heavier the counter weight shifters go, more you loose shifter feel.

it'll shift a lot faster for sure compare to stock.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
I think 340 G is a bit heavier than I want, but it works great.

You have to remember that heavier the counter weight shifters go, more you loose shifter feel.

it'll shift a lot faster for sure compare to stock.
My shifter does not feel loose at all. I have the solid base and cable bushings as well. I noticed the shifter feel heavier after I installed the under hood cable bushings. So to counteract that, I got the counterweight shift knob. It helped reduce the effort needed to shift.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 04:17 PM
Account Disabled

when i said loose shifter feel, you don't get the crisper shifter feel when you shift. My razo's in there so tight, i can't get it off, which is a problem that I probably have to deal with later on.

The counter weight does play a sort of a lever to help you shift easier and faster.

But with any metal shifter, you loose the tranny feedback.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

ahhhh.. you meant LOSE shifter feel.. I got ya.. I still get a lot of feedback through the shifter w/ the solid bushings.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 04:20 PM
Account Disabled

yes, lost. i get those confused, i'm getting old. I used to know all that in highschool, then I went to an art school.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

you guys don't ocean fish much, do you? They make HUGE lead weights that look like cannonballs, down to golf ball size. You could try this experiment with one of those..... just don't get lead poisoning I second the motion for stiffer bushings in all shifter components.

Quick Reply: think I can fill the shift knob with lead?