Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Worst test drive. Ever.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2005, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxceler8
Not even budge, trust me I tried using as little throttle possible to get it back. Why would 5th be the worst? It has the least amount of tq multiplication.....
5th would be hardest because that would require the most torque from the engine just to get the car rolling. That's what lower gears are for, so you can get the car moving at slower speeds. Sure, they'll give you more torque to the wheels, but they'll require less torque at the crank to move. At the crank is where you want the easier load when your clutch is slipping.
-N
Old Jan 22, 2005, 02:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by travelsize420
weird, i didn't even think they let you test drive the evos. or is that just new evos?

bell mitsubishi wouldnt let me test drive any of the 03's.
I think that would generally apply to brand new or very low mileage cars.. Once a car has mileage on them, anything goes. At least thats what my dealer was like.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

"i used redline fluids and blew my transfer case"its the same thing,people have no idea how to drive and then blame it on the product being defective
oh and on the selling the car note,there are people who love their cars to death and go broke maintaining them(fluids,tires,mods etc)wich leads them to selling a very well kept car this could be the exeption i guess ,but still not all people selling for financial reasons are trying to sell off abused cars
Old Jan 22, 2005, 03:29 PM

Happy to say my clutch is holding just fine with the mods listed below (started mods with 1000 on the clock) I am almost at 30K miles...
Old Jan 22, 2005, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by travelsize420
weird, i didn't even think they let you test drive the evos. or is that just new evos?
It's up to the dealer, and depends upon how likely they think you are to buy the car. When I bought my MR they first told me "no test drives" and offered a ride in a used '04. After we started talking numbers, they had a change of heart and took the MR out of the showroom, then I got a ride and drive. After negotiations hit an impasse, they offered to let me take it home (I live 35 miles from the dealership) overnight to "show it to my wife". Obvously they were pretty confident I was going to buy it because they'd have been stuck with a "high mileage" MR otherwise.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Blown clutches under 30k miles is just abuse period. I don't car what people say. I've owned more cars then most here and never had clutch issues at all. But I do enjoy reading about the idiots and their 1k mile blown evo clutch stories.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

you gotta get one thing stright

40 years old weekend fun car

doesn't meant cuz he is old he doesn't go krazy on it

they have the money to buy the car and trash it during weekend and then

trade it when its time to repair. I actually think if you buy a car thats owned by a guy age around mid 20's to 30's would be the best bit cuz they buy the car cuz the love it not just for fun.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 06:51 PM
choad

ps, if someone called me that asked me questions about my old car, and the dealer had given him my phone number, i would definately sue someone. that sort of crap bothers me.
The dealer if asked, legally has to provide the name and address of the previous owner..(in Wisconsin)

If the dealer is a good dealer, he would make sure he:

1. Establishes contacting the previous owner as a condition of sale or "subject to" of the transaction.
2. Takes a deposit at a solid selling price...See above.

Then the dealer should call the previous owner and request permission to be contacted if okay.

Most owners are okay with this if asked..but if someone just calls out of the blue, and the dealer never took the time to request permission.

The previous owners gloves come off..

Old Jan 23, 2005, 03:56 AM

I realize that 5th gear will make the engine work a little bit harder, but I'm tellin ya any other gear would just fly to redline with even the smallest amount of throttle. The clutch was def gone, thats for sure.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GREDDY
Blown clutches under 30k miles is just abuse period. I don't car what people say. I've owned more cars then most here and never had clutch issues at all. But I do enjoy reading about the idiots and their 1k mile blown evo clutch stories.
Yes, but it doesn't take much abuse to start the process.
When I bought my '03 it had 13 miles on it, and had the smell of clutch in it. It was the only white one around and that is what I wanted plus I got a good price for the time. It didn't shift well if shifted quickly and the tranny whirs when in neutral with the clutch engaged. I complained at 300 miles and at every oil change since. They offered to take it for a drive to see what it was. It came back smelling like clutch again and chattered on engagement for two weeks after. I now have just under 13,000 miles and it needs a clutch, but that is a wear item and isn't covered under warranty and I sure as h3ll don't want the goombahs at the dealer to 'break it in' for me.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Maxceler8
I realize that 5th gear will make the engine work a little bit harder, but I'm tellin ya any other gear would just fly to redline with even the smallest amount of throttle. The clutch was def gone, thats for sure.
Yeah, the clutch was at least on its last legs for sure, but the 5th gear low speeds are what finally killed it. Even a good clutch will see a lot of wear under that kind of stress.
-N
Old Jan 23, 2005, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Well let me say that the way mitsubishi has the slave cylinder with the spring and the ball
restrictor to save the driveline does not help . This limmits the pressure on the disc.
Yesterday i was out in my car and was doing 70mph and got into it and it felt like the clutch
was slipping.But the funny thing there was no smell. Came home cooled down for 5 min.
and dorve the car again thru all of the gears banging and no problem. Any way Im going to take out the resrictor today.I only have 5,000 on the car.And yes I drive it hard but thats nuts.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

That 'certain dealer' happens to be at 12 & Gratiot, right? Sales pitch was: "This is an Arizona car previously owned by a doctor who took a new job in Windsor; he had to sell it because Canada won't let him bring it across the border..."

They've been trying to sell that Evo since last summer. Now I know why it sat so long, and why they wouldn't let me test drive it - I pulled up in an non-abused Evo!!
Old Jan 23, 2005, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
My attitude has always been, why is there a car 1-2 years old being sold used.. generally here's my experience..

1) Car was abused by the previous owner and he started having problems
2) Guy couldn't afford car, car was neglected because he couldn't afford it
3) the guy got bored with it and traded it in for the next biggest thing, see #1
I couldnt agree more!
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by EvoGLH
That 'certain dealer' happens to be at 12 & Gratiot, right? Sales pitch was: "This is an Arizona car previously owned by a doctor who took a new job in Windsor; he had to sell it because Canada won't let him bring it across the border..."

They've been trying to sell that Evo since last summer. Now I know why it sat so long, and why they wouldn't let me test drive it - I pulled up in an non-abused Evo!!
Yep, but they said the guy was from Kansas.

Quick Reply: Worst test drive. Ever.