Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

transfercase!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tokeone
does anyone know how you can tell if your spider gears are going/gone?

the spider gearing is for the front diff, which is in the t-case right?

would there be a notchiness in turning/slight grinding sound if there were a problem?

thanks in advance
This will only apply to those who don't own an RS or an EVO MR.

Jack the front of the car up.

Spin either one of the front tires forward.

The other front tire should spin the opposite direction without any sticking or locking, or stopping. There will be a small amount of backlash be don't be overly concerned with it, just make sure it spins freely.

Jon@teamrip.com
Old Jan 24, 2005, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i have a question, i changed the front diff oil recently, but i jacked up the car on the driver side which means the fill plug was "pouring out". i pumped the gear oil in until it over flowed.

i drove around for quite a few weeks, nothing was wrong then a couple days ago i noticed a noise when i do full lock slow start turning (mostly for three point turns and parking). it's a small vibration that is apparently strong enough to make my clutch springs rattle before i release the clutch all the way. and you can only feel it slightly at ver low speeds an it's completely not present at or not perceptable at higher speeds.

question is... was it that my front diff was low on oil? i recently filled it (the "right" way, jakcing up the car on the passenger side nad then filling till it overflowed) and i still feel the vibration etc on occassion.

could this be my power steering fluid being low?
Old Jan 24, 2005, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't you get it rebuilt ?
Old Jan 24, 2005, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Jon;
Nice to see you on evom....didn't think I'd ever see you on here. This is John from CA, you rebuilt my tranny and retrofitted my tc with the ralliart LSD couple months back. Just want you to know you and Ming did a great job since the guys down here @ RRE are breaking my car in and they're telling the the tranny is shifting great and everything is working out good. Look forward to (well hopefully not anytime soon =P) doing business with you again in the future. TRE has my vote so far.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Hey John,

Glad to hear that RRE like our transmission work and I'm sure you will too once you get to drive it.

TRE loves building transmissions.

Jon@teamrip.com
Old Jan 24, 2005, 08:46 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Sorry for the OT

Sorry to thread ******, but John, are you the guys putting RS TC's in the 03'/04' GSRs? I'm just wondering how that is working out if it is indeed your work.

Last edited by Zeus; Jan 24, 2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GEARS
Hey John,

Glad to hear that RRE like our transmission work and I'm sure you will too once you get to drive it.

TRE loves building transmissions.

Jon@teamrip.com
You guys should relocate to Vegas.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
i have a question, i changed the front diff oil recently, but i jacked up the car on the driver side which means the fill plug was "pouring out". i pumped the gear oil in until it over flowed.

i drove around for quite a few weeks, nothing was wrong then a couple days ago i noticed a noise when i do full lock slow start turning (mostly for three point turns and parking). it's a small vibration that is apparently strong enough to make my clutch springs rattle before i release the clutch all the way. and you can only feel it slightly at ver low speeds an it's completely not present at or not perceptable at higher speeds.

question is... was it that my front diff was low on oil? i recently filled it (the "right" way, jakcing up the car on the passenger side nad then filling till it overflowed) and i still feel the vibration etc on occassion.

could this be my power steering fluid being low?
I'm wondering the same as well. Will the car need to be jack up on the side of the fill plug when replacing the fluids?

I'm not sure what you're hearing but it wouldn't hurt to make sure the power steering fluid is at a normal level.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 01:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lil'evil_evo
You guys should relocate to Vegas.
yeah,that would be great.we need a person like you in town.most of the shops here aren't very good
Old Jan 25, 2005, 03:30 AM
Evolving Member

guys Jon and Ming @ TRE know their stuff. It is worth it to just pull the transfer case or tranny and just mail it over....it's just around $100 or a bit more to ship both from CA through UPS and TRE provides you with a nice cushioned box so there's minimal work on your end except pulling the tranny/tc. Yeah Jon guys here @ RRE seem to love that tight gearbox, I actually got to drive it around a bit and wow....it is truly night and day. =)
Old Jan 25, 2005, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Jon,

This is Brian Green (one of the first T-cases you looked at). Remember me from NJ? Anyway I told you there was a demand for you here . Good JoB!!!!
Old Jan 25, 2005, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys

Ming & I have made some changes to the evo & shipping page to better explain what we have to offer. We'd love have your business so don't hesitate to contact us.

Jon@teamrip.com
Old Jan 25, 2005, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm about to take my '03 Evo 8 GSR to the dealer for another t-case. My original one started singing at around 14,000 miles. I was given a remanufactured one under warranty. That started singing after only 500 miles! Now, it's back to the dealer for yet another t-case.

I hear that swapping in the case from an '04 Evo 8 RS will solve the problem once and for all. Is there any way to get the dealer to agree to this? If they don't go for it and I get stuck with another '03 case, can I really expect to get decent life out of it? Will Diaqueen alone do the trick? I'm very doubtful...

Emre
Old Jan 25, 2005, 08:25 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

/\ that goes to my question... well, somewhat.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
I'm about to take my '03 Evo 8 GSR to the dealer for another t-case. My original one started singing at around 14,000 miles. I was given a remanufactured one under warranty. That started singing after only 500 miles! Now, it's back to the dealer for yet another t-case.

I hear that swapping in the case from an '04 Evo 8 RS will solve the problem once and for all. Is there any way to get the dealer to agree to this? If they don't go for it and I get stuck with another '03 case, can I really expect to get decent life out of it? Will Diaqueen alone do the trick? I'm very doubtful...

Emre

Will an 04 transfer case even fit in an 03?

Quick Reply: transfercase!!!