Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

21.5k mile review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2005, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
21.5k mile review

Well guys i have noticed how a lot of people seem to have reviews on their satisfaction of their car... well here goes nothing...

lets start from the beginning..

I got my car last march, and with that said i thought it was the most amazing car i have ever owned, or have ever had the chance to drive... and still to this day that remark remains true... why is that.. i'll explain.

For the first 15k miles my car was stock, which was quite unfortunate, but being a college student i had a lack of money.... when i got the money i put on an intake, tbe, and evo vii tails..... so now the review

Even though the evo as many of you know has a VERY stiff suspension, i think its quite tollerable, maybe its because i can adapt to things easily. The practicality of this car is unreal as well. For it being a sports compact car, this also is a very amazing family car, now unlike the wrx/sti i can fit in the evo ( i'm 6'3", and in my friends wrx my knees are against the steering wheel ) Over this past summer before i hit 13k i went on a vacation with my family, and let me tell you something, i held about 4-5 suit cases in the trunk, and several misc items in the back seat, and still on the highway she moved ( when i needed to change lanes an what not ) also i'd like to add, as many have complained about the car having no Cruise Control, its still not that bad, because i usually just rest my leg on the inside of the center consol so it acts as a manual Cruise control... thats how i like to call it... and for the seats being " uncomfortable " to most they still felt very comfortable to me... mind you this trip was a total of 1400 miles, and my butt did not hurt once....

With a long distance trip already covered, its only fair to cover the in city driving, i live outside of pittsburgh where theres very little traffic, and still this car is a pleasure to ddrive... might i add, it gets great gas milage for the type of car it is... many people who i talk to ask me " does your car get good gas milage " i look at them and say " exceptional ", which is very true, my father owns a g35 and well we ( evo owners ) get atleast another over all 20 miles more to a tank then they do, which some may say is not much but if you think about how much gas costs thats a big difference.

As for the aftermarket scene. Its unlimited as to waht you can do to the evo and still maintain that AMAZING daily driver reliablity. I got this car with the flull intentions to mod her, whenever i had the money to do so. And with a full turbo back exhaust catless, and an intake, i can most definitly say the evo is very happy to get mods bolted right on to her... exhaust gave a VERY noticable differnce, intake, maybe not soo much, but you can feel a slight difference.

Overall, i love this car, there has not been a car in the world that i think i'd want more ( for speed and daily driver reliability ) the evo captures all of the things most people would want out of a car, and then improves on them.. For people who ask is it a good family car, by god its an amazing family car, plenty of room, ( i believe you can put 3 child seats in the car ), exceptional gas milage like i stated before, and the safety is up to par with many of these other car companies..

so after 21.5k miles i have to say, the evo in stock form is unreal, in modded form its even better, i dont' think there is a negative side to this car... well actually there is, but its not the cars fault, its mitsubishis fault for offering bad customer service.. i had to wait 1.5 hours one day for a oil change, after that i have done it myself...

hopefully i didn't ramble to much for you guys, but i'm just writing this to say how extremely thrilled i am to own this car....

Last edited by steveevo8; Jan 23, 2005 at 09:03 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

nice write up!
Old Jan 23, 2005, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Very nice right up. I'm still trying to find someone to buy my 02 OZ so i can have some money for an Evo MR myself.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:45 AM
Evolved Member

awesome write up
Old Feb 21, 2005, 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

honestly, i can never bring myself to not like any evo-loving brothers out there ^^
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:27 AM

Very informative. Great review.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

excellent review! I agree with you on every single point you made. Reading the reviews that some of you write makes me even more proud and happy to be a fellow Evo owner. Thanks.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

jeez i didn't even know anyone else would read this... one more addition to this i guess. add me onto the " i need a new clutch " list... :'( :'(... other then that stil thrilled to have this car
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Nice write up.

I only have 4700 miles on my car.

I haven't been able to wipe the grin off of my face since buying this car!
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

hahahahahahhaha... same here.. until the day my clutch started to slip when i was bookin down the road... then i went from big wide smile to a face as if i saw a 500 pound naked woman in a thong bikini
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

hey steveevo8, have you remembered to change your diff/tranny oils yet?
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:32 AM

cool!!
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmm. Well three things I would disagree with here. Great mileage (hardly) from my experience and 94 Ultra is not cheap. Also i am 6"5 i have no problems with fitting into my brothers wrx or when i drove an STI. Not sure if you had the seat all the way back or what but I had plenty of room just like in my EVO. THe finally being u didnt mind not having cruise control . When I have to drive over an hour in the car my leg and *** are totally numb from my foot being constantly on the gas and not having a 6th gear blows when your on the highway. Nice write up . To each his own
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steveevo8
hahahahahahhaha... same here.. until the day my clutch started to slip when i was bookin down the road... then i went from big wide smile to a face as if i saw a 500 pound naked woman in a thong bikini
That's what warranties are for!

AND -

Before you all say that the Mitsubishi warranty is a crock of **** -

I'm not worried.

Third party warranties are where it's at.

I have a 7yr 100,000 mile warranty through my insurance company ON TOP of the Mitsu warranty. They will cover ANY mechanical defect. I haven't had a problem with this warranty yet. I've used this warranty with my:

Honda Prelude
Mini Cooper S
and now my Evo VIII

Quite honestly - with the research I've been able to do - it seems that most incidents are just plain user error or that person just has extremely bad luck.

Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Haha. Great review man.