Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dang it, I hit a curb last night and need some advise..

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2005, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang it, I hit a curb last night and need some advice..

Well last night I was tired and on my way home when I hit a patch of slippery old asphalt in the middle of my left hand turn at ~20 mph. The car decided it was going to go straight about half way throug the turn (front wheels were just sliding), I tried to steer out of it, but it was like being on ice so I just steered toward the curb at the last moment to minimize the damage.

So far the damage looks to be localized to the front end. There's no body damage or underbody damage save the silly little underbody tray that got scuffed some. I have some bent control arms on both sides of the car in the front as I hit the curb almost directly straight on (both wheels look to be pushed back toward the back of the fender wells slightly).

Anyway, my question is where do you guys think I should take the car? It is driveable, but a little weird. I'm thinking I'm just going to take it to the Mitsu dealership tomorrow and let them assess the damage and probably fix it. Do you guys agree this is the best course of action? Also, does anybody have a rough idea how much the control arms in the front are? Thanks for the info guys.

Last edited by A418t81; Jan 23, 2005 at 12:59 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by A418t81
Well last night I was tired and on my way home when I hit a patch of slippery old asphalt in the middle of my left hand turn at ~20 mph. The car decided it was going to go straight about half way throug the turn (front wheels were just sliding), I tried to steer out of it, but it was like being on ice so I just steered toward the curb at the last moment to minimize the damage.

So far the damage looks to be localized to the front end. There's no body damage or underbody damage save the silly little underbody tray that got scuffed some. I have some bent control arms on both sides of the car in the front as I hit the curb almost directly straight on (both wheels look to be pushed back toward the back of the fender wells slightly).

Anyway, my question is where do you guys think I should take the car? It is driveable, but a little weird. I'm thinking I'm just going to take it to the Mitsu dealership tomorrow and let them assess the damage and probably fix it. Do you guys agree this is the best course of action? Also, does anybody have a rough idea how much the control arms in the front are? Thanks for the info guys.
Uh, Im assuming you have insurance? Take it to the dealer or a shop that can order parts for you. If the estimate is more than your insurance deductable, call your insurance agent. Not sure how much it will cost you, but if I had to ballpark it, Id say youd be looking at several hundred in parts, and a labor charges anywhere from $40/hr or so for an independent shop to $75 at a dealership. If i had to ballpark the cost, id say somewhere in the area of $750-$1250. Who knows, i could be off. Depends on the extent of the dammage you might not be able to see. Id just go in and get an estimate.

If you still have b2b warranty on the car, mitsu might have to do the work to ensure the suspension remains under warranty.

Either way you cut it, you looking at least several hunded dollars to over a grand fix it depending upon the estimate and deductable. Sucks, but thats life. Hope it works out.

Last edited by Mercenary3; Jan 23, 2005 at 05:27 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

i'm sorry to hear that dude, but i was in your exactly situation except i hit it with my rear wheel, everything is the same. it was drivable, but i suggest not to drive it. claim insurance dude, the bill ended up $6,000 bucks. frame didn't bend, but the suspension messed up, after they fixed everything, everything went back to normal, so don't worry. everything WILL get back to normal. you will end up blowing the ABS module because the wheel is now bent, so the senser might go off, and that eventually burn the central unit, if you claim insurance, they will take care of the whole thing. one thing is pretty sweet is that the retail value of ONE wheel is $600 NOT including tires!!! so if you claim insurance, you will get that amount. so hopefully you already paid off your car, because my car loan company wouldn't allow a cash settlement.
anyways, i wouldn't suggest a cash settlement, just get a partial cash settlement on the wheels, so you can change new wheels and tires.
i let the collision center deal with the whole thing, they were great. they will actually deal with mitsu themselves. i don't think mitsu would do any insurance work.
hope this helps. i understand exactly would you are going thru, i just got my car back a week ago, it sucks, but everything will be fine. let your insurance company know that you want a rental, becasue you will need it for a while. mine took 2 months to fix it....but i believe it would be shorter for you. any questions, pm me.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. I did some calling around and I'm going to take it to a body shop tomorrow that specializes in higher end imports. They apparently do a great job and are fairly priced. Yes, I have full insurance on my Evo and I bought the car outright so no lendors, etc to worry about. As far as driving the car, go2evo, I drove the car home about a mile after it happened. The car drives a little funny and the steering wheel is at about a 20 deg angle in order to go straight. I figure I will drive it to the body shop considering its only about 5 miles away. Also, my ABS pump never fired while I was driving home last night and my rims do not look to be bent on either the inside or out and the tires are holding pressure in the front (albeit one of them has a nice side-wall blister now).
Old Jan 24, 2005, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Their have been quite a few posts on this (including mine)...I ran into a curb and cracked a wheel with other damage including bent arms. My lower control arm, steering knuckle, bearing and hub assemble were replaced (a bill which will probably reach $1K w/ labor depending where you go.) Car is now aligned nicely and drives well.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Cool, thanks for the info. The car is at the shop and everything is being taken care of. Thanks for the information guys.
Old May 12, 2005, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

I figured I should update this. The car ended up having nothing more than a slightly bent lower control arm and tie rod end. Those parts were replaced, the car was aligned, and its never been better
Old May 12, 2005, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

The word is advice. It's not that ****ing hard!!!!
Old May 12, 2005, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

you should contact the Town/City you were in and tell them about it.. They seem to have made a hazzardous driving condition and they should be the ones to pay... ive gotten work done when they have left holes open or failed to patch pot hole after being told about them... not on the evo though.. in the past... as for work... i think a trusted garage.. is best.. dealer will squeeze a few extra $ outta you
Old May 12, 2005, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LocoLT1
The word is advice. It's not that ****ing hard!!!!
Hey slick, if you'll notice, I tried editing the title WAY back when I made this thread. I had a spelling error when I first posted and when you edit the thread title, it just changes the bolded title that you see above my first post. I'll try not to let it happen again. Get off my back and go play with your rustang, MOM.
Old May 12, 2005, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by A418t81
Hey slick, if you'll notice, I tried editing the title WAY back when I made this thread. I had a spelling error when I first posted and when you edit the thread title, it just changes the bolded title that you see above my first post. I'll try not to let it happen again. Get off my back and go play with your rustang, MOM.
owned.

yeah i agree with 03BREvo8 -- it's probably too late now, but the roads shouldn't be slick enough to cause that much push at 20mph (unless you actually WERE on ice). don't think there's anything you can do about it now, but i'm glad that everything worked out for you