Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

dino oil question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2005, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dino oil question

I am not trying to start WWIII with another dino v. syn oil debate, but I have a question. Right now my evo is burning about 1/4 of a quart between changes. I have only used mobil one so far (5.5k on odo.), but was wondering if I switched to dino oil for say 1k miles do you think that would help with the oil burning issue. Since mobil 1 is so slick, could it be possible that the rings have still not entirely set yet? I know, this is probably a stupid question, but it may be worth trying. Dino oil is good enough today that puting it into the evo for only about 1k really would not hurt anything, and may actually help.
But some of you know alot more about this than me, so any info would be appreicated(sp). P.S. I have searched, but most of the topics were about brake in, not oil burning.

Last edited by JohnnyPaycheck; Jan 23, 2005 at 08:30 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

when did you first throw in synthetic oil? and why is it that your brand new car is burning it? if the dealer installed sythetic oil that would be why it is burning it, you need to seal it up. run al-natural for a lap or 2 and that will help you. if it came with dyno oil in it from the dealer, even if you swapped it out 200 miles later, you have another problem. give us a little more information!
Old Jan 23, 2005, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

It came with syn. I changed the oil at 600, 1500, and then 4000. All with mobil one syn. And each time it is burning near the same amount of oil, with the last time being the most because it was driven more miles. From the top of the dipstick to about 3/4, or 1/2 the last time changed. I know its not too much oil, but others here on the forum do not burn any at all, so I was wondering what could be going on.

Last edited by JohnnyPaycheck; Jan 23, 2005 at 08:42 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 08:43 PM

I would try it. You have nothing to lose and much to gain. After about 200 miles i changed mine out to dino. Should have done it sooner but was too busy having fun with the car.

I rebuilt a motorcycle engine with synth oil for the first 1000 miles. Checked compression and was real low @100 psi in 1 cyl. Should have been around 170 like the other 3 cyl. Changed synth to dino oil. Ran motor hard for 15 minutes on dino. Re-checked compression and it was up to 170 psi. I was surprised. Motor felt much stronger after that. You've got quite q few more miles. Hopefully, the cyl haven't glazed yet but try it.

Good luck,

Slvrevo
Old Jan 23, 2005, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

i heard rumor of a batch of evos that came from teh dealer with synthetic oil. and that a lot of them had to go back in because of issues! looks like this is one of those batches. you need to go back to dino oil just for a couple of hundred miles. then switch back. see the issue is that synthetic oil is just too good at lubing the motor. the piston rings have to wear a little to properly seat in the motor, if there is too viscous a substance it cant properly wear in. that is why synthetic works as well as it does.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

I am pretty sure they all came with syn. This is why there is such a debate over break in. Since I am past that point now, I was just wondering if dino could help my problem some what. From what you guys say, it seems like a win win situation.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

you can NEVER properly break in a motor with synthetic!!! it doesnt work. now they do technically break in the motor before it goes to the dealer but its not always enough. drain your fluid, pour good old cheap oil in there, run it for a couple hundred miles, then refill it with synthetic! you will notice an improvement in power now that the motor is properly sealed. you will be getting the compression you didnt really have!!!
Old Jan 23, 2005, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

all other makers break in the engine at the factory with reg oil, then replace it with the good stuff before it lands on the dealership lots... BMW and GM do this for example... this is the case with the Evo too, i don't know where i read it, but i remember seeing it at one time... with the miles on your odometer, you can't help but expect to see that you're down a lil' bit of oil... 1/8-1/4 is the norm in the begining... then it'll level out after a while and not burn as much up till you get some major major miles on it... and, don't forget, you're driving a turbo car... they tend to consume more oil than a N/A...

...and oh yeah... if Mitsu finds out that there wasn't syn in it the whole time, there goes your warranty for sure... there's a reason why Synthetic is in there... and wouldn't a manufacturer want to save $8 per car by putting in reg crap??? Hell, car makers break their necks trying to save 3 cents a car...

and ALL Evo's come from the factory with Synthetic... not a batch... ALL of them...

Last edited by Cash Money; Jan 23, 2005 at 09:04 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cash Money
all other makers break in the engine at the factory with reg oil, then replace it with the good stuff before it lands on the dealership lots... BMW and GM do this for example... this is the case with the Evo too, i don't know where i read it, but i remember seeing it at one time... with the miles on your odometer, you can't help but expect to see that you're down a lil' bit of oil... 1/8-1/4 is the norm in the begining... then it'll level out after a while and not burn as much up till you get some major major miles on it... and, don't forget, you're driving a turbo car... they tend to consume more oil than a N/A...

...and oh yeah... if Mitsu finds out that there wasn't syn in it the whole time, there goes your warranty for sure... there's a reason why Synthetic is in there... and wouldn't a manufacturer want to save $8 per car by putting in reg crap??? Hell, car makers break their necks trying to save 3 cents a car...

and ALL Evo's come from the factory with Synthetic... not a batch... ALL of them...
I heard, (dont know if its true however) the reason it came with syn in the first place is that, well americans are not exactly known for there car care skills. And by puting syn at the get go they are saving an engine down the road from some guy who did not change his dino oil until after 5k miles.
Also, did evo 6 and 7 etc. come with syn. from the factory? If not then there would seem to be some truth to that story above. From what I have been told, dino oil is fine for a turboed car, but you have to take care of it and keep up with the reg maintance. Syn. is kinda mitsu's solution to lazy americans. Again dont know if this is true or not.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

It's not a solution to lazy americans... it's a solution to possible future engine warranty claims... Synthetic is superior to reg oil period... the Corvette, M3, 911's, didn't come with syn the whole time either... but they changed to that once they had the proven information in front of them that syn reduces engine wear, prolongs engine life, increases fuel economy, increases power, and can last longer between changes than reg oil... Mitsu saw this information, and TADA, syn from the factory... It doesn't matter if the 6 or 7 had it, this is the 8... they "evolved" to syn like the Evo itself evolves better and better... oh yeah... Mitsu puts this oil in for every regions Evo's... you know... for the Lazy Europeans, Lazy Aussie's, and the really really Lazy JP's...

and once again... a hi-po Turbo car is going to burn some oil... if you start burning over a quart of oil per 3000/mi then start to worry... If it's any help, go put in some Royal Purple or AMS oil... they're better than mobile 1 and lower oil emissions from burning oil...

Last edited by Cash Money; Jan 23, 2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

haha, yeah It was just a conspiracy theory out there that I heard. Its just that there is so much conflicting info out there on this one subject alone that its hard to know what the real deal is. The 4g63 has been around forever, and has had to have come with dino at one point. But as you say, maybe mitsu has "evolved" and is now using a superior product. But it still sucks that I am burning oil!
Old Jan 23, 2005, 09:45 PM
Former Vendor

youre forgetting, they also use syn, because of the tighter bearing clearances. another good reason not to run reg oil all the time.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dafarmer69
youre forgetting, they also use syn, because of the tighter bearing clearances. another good reason not to run reg oil all the time.
agreed...

you have to remember man... this IS normal for your car... it's nothing to be alarmed about really... my one friend with his evo does the same thing... I noticed running royal purple has made a difference in consumption in mine... give it a shot... and don't stress yourself out, lol.... like i said, you start burning over a quart in that interval then start to worry...

Chris...
Old Jan 23, 2005, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the help. I know its not too much oil, so its probably no big deal. I will try royal puple out and see how that goes. Again, thanks
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:05 PM
Former Vendor

i burn use about 3/4 of a quart between oil changes. but half of it is in my catch can. comp ranges 169-174. which isnt bad.