Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

3rd place for Evo in 1st WRC Rally Event

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2005, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All in all, it just nice to see Mitsu kickin some A$$! Lets hope they continue to perform well!
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
oh god mitsu sucks at rally, im sure they will drop out like last year....
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:30 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueBlurSTi
troll?
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:39 AM
Account Disabled

Mitsu did great on the first rally of the '05 season. I just wish Solberg didnt lose a wheel on one of the last 6 stages. Even though I own an Evo, I'm still rooting for Solberg to claim another WRC title.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

If I'm not mistaken, Team Mitsi now has more points on towards the manufacturers title after the first race of this year than they did the entirety of last year. It feels so good! I was watching all through last year rallys, just praying that this race they would at least finish, and god forbid, show up in point scoring range. As those that watched know, even for what was to be considered a shake down year it was non-stop dissapointment.

This is an amazing start. Way to go guys! If any of the mitsubishi crew happen to read this board, your US fans are psyched!!
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:53 AM

Now that they know the lancer wrc05 can do its job, why won't they make it look like the evo instead. Its the same body shell, only with more weldings and make the exterior look like an evo. I still think the wrc wing can be thrown out.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

People are groaning that the Lancer only did as well because the Peugeot, Subaru, and Citroen crashed. It may be true to a point but I think had the clutch not went out, had the automanual not failed, and the HANS device been bothering Gilles I think he would've been just as competitve. Might not be a championship year but I wouldn't be terribly surprised to seem many more stage victories.

On a side note, anyone see the Mitsubishi schooling in the Dakar race? 1-2 by a mile and I thought I read this is the 3rd year in a row they've managed this feat.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlueBlurSTi
Wait...what happened to the subarus?

Lol...I am not turning this into a pissing contest, so lets let that go
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

^ yes i watched dakkar coverage last night. good stuff. sad to se mcrae go out like that. he was saying his vision was blured in his left eye like it was no big deal. sounds like something a boxer that just got whooped would say. i would be scared as all hell if i made my living driving and i could see out of my eye.

as far as the HANS device, i dont think the drivers will be to happy about wearing them. Grist brought up the point of having the car sideways, and not being able to see out the window where you are going. could be more of a problem. they need to invent something that will work for them. and the idea of borrowing tech. from NASCAR (even if it is safety related) makes me gag.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

lets just hope the success continues...
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:58 PM

Wrc

Actually the HANS device is the product of about 20 years of development by Jim Downing and was used in sports cars WAY before Nascar.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Wow! I didn't realise that my comment would start all this! It was actually meant as a question. Like I said I couldn't remember the differences between the normal Lancer and the Lancer Evolution, I just remembered people talking about the 4 stud hubs and I saw this one had 5 so I thought I would ask. I realise that they can run different hubs on different surfaces, and different brakes and everything else too, I just thought I would ask anyway. But like has been mentioned before, to me they are all Lancers anyway so I don't really car if it is based on the Lancer Evolution or regular Lancer.

I do think that they could be doing just as well using their own stuff though instead of these other parts that keep breaking all the time.

Sorry for starting all of this.

EDIT: Also about the 18 or 19 inch wheels, I think I read that 18inch wheels were compulsory this year for Monte-Carlo.

Aston

Last edited by astondg; Jan 24, 2005 at 02:18 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Drifter K
Now that they know the lancer wrc05 can do its job, why won't they make it look like the evo instead. Its the same body shell, only with more weldings and make the exterior look like an evo. I still think the wrc wing can be thrown out.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It sounds easy except that the Lancer WRC05 has already passed FIA scrutineering. Trying to change to an evo "look" and that's what it would be, just a cosmetic change, might result in Mitsubishi having to go through the scrutineering process from scratch, which would cost $ and time, two things Mitsubishi needs to watch carefully.

As I said earlier, who cares what it's called... in the production classes the Evo is dominant and that's all that should really matter as far as our cars are concerned. As for the earlier statement on HP, the cars are limited to 300hp due to safety concerns. Back in the unlimited Group B days (think porsche 959 and Ford RS200) there were several spectator and driver deaths due to the cars being too powerful for the safety technology at the time.

Now we have better safety cages, brakes, and fuel cells but I think the racing is exciting enough at the power level that it's at.... if it were truly unlimited I think we would see some pretty scary 7-800 hp monsters trying to fly through the trees.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sblvro
troll?
If anyone has earned a win it will be mitsubishi because they have had the worst luck. i know last year they wrecked and the stage was too dangerous to go on so ford and mitsu were the only runners. mitsu wrecked and ford made it but that was the end from their for mitsu. then all those times their car broke down on top of it.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

.. your rite... loeb is for citroen, i was typing this when i herd a buzzing sound, and realized the subpump had failed!!! so it was all just run together... i got Markko Martin and Loeb confused.

The fact Peugoet is using evo8's... i think they had a 6.5 TME bumper on it tho... that is what really grabbed my attention!

The HANS device is used in a lot of racing events. they should make one capible for rally's usage of the neck. if you looked at Gilles face, he didn't look as comfortable as usual... he will get used to it soon.

subaru was a story to tell. the new driver isn't use to the new tires, and his breaks suck!

Quick Reply: 3rd place for Evo in 1st WRC Rally Event