Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Motor Trend Evo,RS,MR test data

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2005, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonc32amg
Trying searching...I know someone posted a fancy graph comparing the ratios...
I think you're thinking of post #53 in this thread, but it doesn't list the gear ratios.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO Neil
I think you're thinking of post #53 in this thread, but it doesn't list the gear ratios.

No, I think it was right after the MR's release and it was on here some where????? It layed the 6-speed ratios over the 5-speed...
Old Feb 2, 2005, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Joe250
Someone else, not sure who, was nice enough to graph this out:

Notice that the first 3 gears are essentially identical. In autocross, you will usually use the first 2 gears and that's it. So I would conclude that the transmission should not be a deciding factor in which car you pick for autocross.

Now for roadracing, things look a bit different and if the 6speed meets durability requirements, then it may look a lot better.

Hope that helps.

Joe
here's the gear ratio graph, i wish i had the MR's 3rd and 4th gear

As far as the article. I went home and couldnt' find the mag so I went to the store and bought another one. I couldn't find it where I thought it said the RS had no ac. I apologize to anyone I insulted here. I could have sworn I read that in the article.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Steiner
You're joking, right? The RS was quicker in 0-30mph, 0-60mph and the 1/4 mile, but lost around the track because its high speed braking (100mph+) wasn't as crisp as the ABS/EBD equipped MR and GSR. It may be cheaper, but it was slower because of the format of the track. Think back to the FQ400 beating the Lambo on Top Gear. It was cool so see if you're an Evo fan, but it had as much to do with the track as it had to do with the performance of the Evo. Basically, that track was a good fit for the Evo. I think the same thing could be said for Willow Springs. ABS and EBD is a huge advantage.
I wasn't talking about slower in the straight line, I meant slower on a track where you actually have to turn and brake several times. I agree, the track does make a difference as to how it plays out to the advantages of different cars. Racing isn't only about straight lines .... at least to me ...

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Feb 2, 2005 at 12:27 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
I wasn't talking about slower in the straight line, I meant slower on a track where you actually have to turn and brake several times. I agree, the track does make a difference as to how it plays out to the advantages of different cars. Racing isn't only about straight lines .... at least to me ...
I agree. And if we're talking autoX where speeds are much slower I think the RS has the advantage. It's all about the test. I'm sure we could find a track where a Mini Cooper S could easily beat an Evo FQ400 and conversely, another track where a Jeep Cherokee walks away from a Mini.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

i got beat my a mini cooper s on hoosier slicks at a recent auto-x. i was on street tires. very tight technical course. he had me by about .1 seconds.
Now that people have brought this up maybe with more RS, MR and reg. Evo's out there we can get more thoughts input on this through out the year
Old Feb 2, 2005, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ldstang50
i got beat my a mini cooper s on hoosier slicks at a recent auto-x. i was on street tires. very tight technical course. he had me by about .1 seconds.
Now that people have brought this up maybe with more RS, MR and reg. Evo's out there we can get more thoughts input on this through out the year
The driver can also be a big factor in times ....
Old Feb 3, 2005, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
The driver can also be a big factor in times ....
oh absolutely. maybe i'll be lucky enough to do a trade an auto-x this year
Old Feb 3, 2005, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

The 6-speed pays off on the top end...compare the jump in the 5-speed during the 4-5 shift to the MR and you can see how much more efficient it is...seeing that it really proves the merit of getting an MR as a street brawler.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jasonc32amg
The 6-speed pays off on the top end...compare the jump in the 5-speed during the 4-5 shift to the MR and you can see how much more efficient it is...seeing that it really proves the merit of getting an MR as a street brawler.
especially when the car starts making lots of power and you have to get into 5th gear. having the slightly shorter 4th and 5th gear will allow for slightly quicker acceleration. Plus like you said, on the highway it will allow the car to pull easier from higher speeds
Old Feb 3, 2005, 04:59 PM

The RS lost all of its time in the section up the left side of the track diagram. The article indicated that it was due to oversteer and not handling the bumpy curves well. But there are a couple of big braking zones that could have also been a factor.

So which was it, the bumpy/curvy track, or the braking zones - or both?

I gots to know...

Originally Posted by Steiner
You're joking, right? The RS was quicker in 0-30mph, 0-60mph and the 1/4 mile, but lost around the track because its high speed braking (100mph+) wasn't as crisp as the ABS/EBD equipped MR and GSR. It may be cheaper, but it was slower because of the format of the track. Think back to the FQ400 beating the Lambo on Top Gear. It was cool so see if you're an Evo fan, but it had as much to do with the track as it had to do with the performance of the Evo. Basically, that track was a good fit for the Evo. I think the same thing could be said for Willow Springs. ABS and EBD is a huge advantage.

Old Feb 3, 2005, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

I guess the VIII shows it's the better one for the money.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by conevadr
The RS lost all of its time in the section up the left side of the track diagram. The article indicated that it was due to oversteer and not handling the bumpy curves well. But there are a couple of big braking zones that could have also been a factor.

So which was it, the bumpy/curvy track, or the braking zones - or both?

I gots to know...

They were all small factors in why it finished where it did.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO Neil
They were all small factors in why it finished where it did.
Neil...of the courses MT uses for road tests, which one would be best suited to the RS...if you don't mind my asking?
Old Feb 3, 2005, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Don't know what MT uses, but the faster tracks would benefit the RS. Big Willow, Laguna Seca and Calif. Speedway roadcourse come to mind.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Evo,RS,MR test data