Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Motor Trend Evo,RS,MR test data

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2005, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great article and post.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ABS vs EBD

Originally Posted by astondg
That's interesting. I thought a lot of people say that ABS doesn't stop as quickly as a good driver without it could? Also a lot of race cars don't use ABS, I think F1 had it and then it was banned but that was an expensive system made just for racing not a normal road car ABS? Anyway the results are there, and the cars with ABS stop quicker even though they are heavier.

Aston
You are correct - a non-ABS car can potentially stop in a shorter distance than an ABS-equipped car. However, there is another factor coming into play in this comparison. The GSR and MR have Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD), where the RS does not. EBD actively shifts the brake bias in real time, maximising available traction. The RS has a fixed bias, most likely sending a majority of brake pressure to the front brakes.

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/deta...37861&mime=ASC

Joe

Last edited by Joe250; Jan 25, 2005 at 04:37 PM. Reason: .
Old Jan 25, 2005, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

One more thing

If I am understanding this correctly, Sport ABS is similar to BMW's Sport ABS system. Compared to 'traditional' ABS, Sport ABS changes where the the ABS-activation threshold is.

In order to stop in the shortest distance possible, a driver will need to get the tires right up to the threshold of locking up. However, this is a bit of a grey area. Too little braking and the wheels are still turning at a rate expected for the car's road speed. Too much braking and the wheels stop completely, with smoke pouring out of the tires. But in-between these 2 states, you can actually have the wheels slow down, but not stop. Somewhere in this grey area is where the most braking traction is available.

Traditional ABS will activate a little bit on the early side - the instant any wheel or wheels slow in relation to the others. Sport ABS lets things go a little farther, being less sensitive to wheel lock-up. So, in theory Sport ABS should bridge some of the gap seperating ABS and non-ABS equipped cars. And when this system is combined with EBD, it should allow a driver to stop a car quicker than those without it in most conditions.

Comparing the RS vs GSR/MR, the RS should have a slight advantage if we only look at the fact that it does not have ABS. However, the Sport ABS system of the GSR/MR should allow it to get pretty close to the RS. But when you then add EBD to the GSR/MR, the advantage goes over the the GSR/MR. There's no way the RS driver can compensate for a fixed brake distribution, as the ideal distribution is not static and will change under a variety of driving conditions (braking uphill or downhill, slippery conditions vs. high-grip, empty car vs. 5 passengers, etc.) and even in fixed conditions it varies throughout a single braking event (with more forward brake bias being desireable towards the middle and end of the braking event when forward weight transfer is highest).

Joe

Last edited by Joe250; Jan 25, 2005 at 05:03 PM. Reason: .
Old Jan 25, 2005, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO Neil
That and it was a different car, on a different track, under different weather conditions. Many variables to consider, not the least of which is the octane rating of the fuel used.
For sure ...

Last edited by Turbo-Ron; Jan 25, 2005 at 05:03 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joe250
You are correct - a non-ABS car can potentially stop in a shorter distance than an ABS-equipped car. However, there is another factor coming into play in this comparison. The GSR and MR have Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD), where the RS does not. EBD actively shifts the brake bias in real time, maximising available traction. The RS has a fixed bias, most likely sending a majority of brake pressure to the front brakes.

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/deta...37861&mime=ASC

Joe
Yes, what Joe said!
Old Jan 25, 2005, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

JOE250:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo-Ron
Hey Neil - I am a regular autocrosser and I've been having the hardest time deciding between the 5 and 6 speed trannies.

what are the pros and cons of each? reliability ? etc. Thanks

EVO Neil...
First, I'd multiply out the gear/trans ratios to see which favors your intended use. Autocrossing typically doesn't allow you to shift much past third gear though. Both the five and six speeds shift better due to teflon-lined shifter cables for 2005. Joe250 can offer better insight as he is actively autocrossing.

Reliablility is yet to be determined for the new for the US six-speed.

Last edited by Turbo-Ron; Jan 25, 2005 at 05:09 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Motor Trend Test

Don't overlook the fact that test of different cars of the same model even will show different results. What variations can you expect? I would guess several percent in any given performance test. So, if they got a plus 2 % RS and a minus 2% MR you have a 4% difference. And in a 13 second quarter mile that is about a 1/2 second variation due to the particular cars.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

5vs6

Someone else, not sure who, was nice enough to graph this out:

Notice that the first 3 gears are essentially identical. In autocross, you will usually use the first 2 gears and that's it. So I would conclude that the transmission should not be a deciding factor in which car you pick for autocross.

Now for roadracing, things look a bit different and if the 6speed meets durability requirements, then it may look a lot better.

Hope that helps.

Joe
Old Jan 25, 2005, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joe250
If I am understanding this correctly, Sport ABS is similar to BMW's Sport ABS system. Compared to 'traditional' ABS, Sport ABS changes where the the ABS-activation threshold is.

Joe
Here is how Mitsubishi describes it:

The Lancer Evolution's Sport ABS offers four-wheel independent control to help optimize the braking actions from each wheel and help maintain control and stability. The system utilizes a steering wheel angle sensor, longitudinal and lateral G-sensors, and four-wheel speed sensors that provide the Sport ABS computer with precise data to help the processor determine how to regulate the minute, millisecond reactions of lightweight hydraulic actuators that control braking loads.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Ah ok, I didn't know the RS was missing EBD. I also didn't know how good Sports ABS is compared to normal ABS. That makes sense now. Thanks

Aston
Old Jan 25, 2005, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

That's my excel and graph work!! That's copyright, but I'll let it slide this time.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 07:00 PM

evo neil, what were the 60' times? Wondering if the RS had a better launch.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 07:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The funny thing about this comparison is that I can guarantee you that all 3 cars could have been the same version for all its worth. They could have all been GSR's and the numbers would have been off anyhow since there is always a faster and a slower of the bunch. I take these results like a grain of salt since there are way too many variables. Damn, anyone of us could have come up with those numbers out of our Evos, except that it would be using only 1 car. How many times have you seen identical 03 Evos with totally different 1/4 mile times.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 07:29 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by superz
How many times have you seen identical 03 Evos with totally different 1/4 mile times.
About the same with the same driver if you have some drag experience . When i won the import Jams challenge back in 2000 my ET's and reactions times were almost identical .

It was a M3 5-speed if your wondering.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 07:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by gtr
About the same with the same driver if you have some drag experience . When i won the import Jams challenge back in 2000 my ET's and reactions times were almost identical .

It was a M3 5-speed if your wondering.
Good point. However what I was refering to is that you can take 2 Evos, mod them identically and you will find a faster one and a slower one, therefore you can have 3 GSR's, or 3 MR's and they will run different times, that's why I don't pay much mind to this test.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Evo,RS,MR test data