Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Motor Trend Evo,RS,MR test data

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2005, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topout
evo neil, what were the 60' times? Wondering if the RS had a better launch.
We don't measure 60 foot times, we use the 0-30 mph as our gauge to a good launch.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO Neil
Yes, all of the '05 have the launch control parameter, limiting them to 5,000 rpm's, which is to low for a good launch...
That's a surprise to me. There was a thread a few weeks back about the '05 RS not having any launch control. A few owners confirmed it. Methinks they must have been bad at counting.

Great test BTW! When does this issue hit stores?
Old Jan 26, 2005, 04:58 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steiner
A few owners confirmed it. Methinks they must have been bad at counting.
Perhaps they got scared when the rpm bounces to 5500 since the tach is not that accurate and they didnt' even bother holding the throttle wide open for more than 4 secs
Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:58 AM

I have another question. How do the 03's stack up against the 05's, especially handling. 03's typically pull .90g, whereas these cars are all pulling .94-.95, even though they are on the same tires. Is the front differential the big difference between the 03's and 05's as far as the skid pad numbers, or was this a particarly grippy test site.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Can't wait to get a copy.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

sounds like a good issue.... i would imagine the RS just happened to have a slightly better engine... maybe break-in was slightly different.... maybe it was boosting slightly higher (although still from the factory).

There have been a wide variety of dyno numbers posted by stock evo's on the same dyno for the same day.... if the RS just happened to be running slightly better, that would explain the differences.

I ran my 2003 100% stock evo 13.4@102mph at a couple of different tracks.... that was in heat and at some altitude vs the "corrected" numbers that I think most mags post.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Has anybody out there got their copy of MT yet?
Old Jan 26, 2005, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

It would seem to me that the rs and the VIII woudl be closer together than .4secs w/ only a difference of 81lbs...They have the same engine and driveline, one just wieghs a little less....I always was told and read that 100lbs was equal to roughly .1sec....Any explanation???
Old Jan 26, 2005, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

also at the end of the article it states that the dyno runs are on the website but I can't seem to find them anywere...Are they loaded onto the site yet or am I blind????
Old Jan 26, 2005, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

sweet i can't wait to get my issue... it should be here pretty soon
Old Jan 26, 2005, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pedalpusher
I have another question. How do the 03's stack up against the 05's, especially handling. 03's typically pull .90g, whereas these cars are all pulling .94-.95, even though they are on the same tires. Is the front differential the big difference between the 03's and 05's as far as the skid pad numbers, or was this a particarly grippy test site.
We've tested probably close to a dozen Evo's since they came out in 2003 and all but one of them were tested at California Speedway, our test teams home away from home, with the same driver.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nabit
also at the end of the article it states that the dyno runs are on the website but I can't seem to find them anywere...Are they loaded onto the site yet or am I blind????
The dyno sheets won't be up until next week (along with the video) when the issue officially goes on sale. Those that already have the issue are subscribers.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

The dyno sheets won't be up until next week (along with the video) when the issue officially goes on sale. Those that already have the issue are subscribers.
Would Armageddon ensue if you were to leak a high resolution image from the article onto these forums. I've never been able to find good wallpaper of an RS.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Steiner
Has anybody out there got their copy of MT yet?

im also interested when it will hit newstands - if anyone gets it from the newstands please let us know
Old Jan 27, 2005, 04:37 AM
Evolving Member

I saw that at the bottom and got so excited I pissed myself..Went to the website and it wasn't there....So I get my mag first but the other stuff still has to wait on the newsstand....Oh well can't be first for everything...

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Evo,RS,MR test data