Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Motor Trend Evo,RS,MR test data

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2005, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A418t81
Bingo
They're all great cars since they are all Evo's, the bottom line is if you think the MR is worth it buy it, if you don't, don't! Just don't try to convince MR owners it wasn't worth it because I haven't seen one of them post that it wasn't and most traded in an Evo VIII, just as I did.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 04:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
RS for life. (The car or me)

I haven't seen the article and probably won't. Motor Trend isn't on the top of my reading list. But when these guys and the Car and Driver guys came out to ice race with us in the past; it became clear that their expertise is in writing not driving.

Who drove the cars?

What track?

I am curious about the fact that the RS was understeering at the track as one person stated and then oversteering at another part of the track.

Either way, I enjoy my naked, I can lock up the wheels when I NEED to RS, in the snow, on the pavement, and through the gravel.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by machron1
Easier to read:
Code:
|-------------------------------------------------------------|
|  Evo                 |  VIII     |  MR       |  RS          |
|  0-30                |  1.4      |  1.5      |  1.3         |
|  0-40                |  2.3      |  2.6      |  2.2         |
|  0-50                |  3.5      |  3.5      |  3.3         |
|  0-60                |  4.7      |  4.7      |  4.3         |
|  0-70                |  6.5      |  6.4      |  6.0         |
|  0-80                |  8.3      |  8.0      |  7.7         |
|  0-90                |  11.0     |  10.5     |  10.0        |
|  0-100               |  13.5     |  13.1     |  12.6        |
|  1/4 mile            |  13.5@100 |  13.4@102 |  13.1@102.8  |
|  Brake,100-0         |  322      |  316      |  341         |
|  brake,60-0          |  111      |  111      |  112         |
|  600ft slalom        |  70.9mph  |  70.1mph  |  69.3mph     |
|  200ft skid pad      |  .94      |  .95      |  .95         |
|  roadcourse lap sec. |  92.07    |  91.80    |  92.15       |
.4 s and 2.8 mph between the GSR and the RS tells me the RS had a stronger motor. .1 or 1mph would be expected, especially since the drivetrain is same.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dgoodhue
.4 s and 2.8 mph between the GSR and the RS tells me the RS had a stronger motor. .1 or 1mph would be expected, especially since the drivetrain is same.
Which would mean the VIII is the (slightly) better track car. Slower in th 1/4, faster on the course. It's a very interesting article, whether you're a fan of the magazine or not.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're forgetting to take into account the drag caused by the wing of the GSR.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by marksae
You're forgetting to take into account the drag caused by the wing of the GSR.
I doubt a wing would slow the car down 2mph on a stock Evo or every drag racer would remove the wing when the getting down into the 11's. The wing drag really isn't going to significant until after 60mph, the 0-30, 40, 50, 60 times still are slower, particularly 50 and 60 mph.

From what I understand 1/4 drag racing aerodynamics, really don't become that noticable (ie measurable) until trap speed of over 100mph. I am sure you can measure the difference between and Evo and a Mac truck, everything similar (engine hp/tq cuyrve, weight), but I don't think it would that notice with a buick grand national and evo (given evrything else equal)
Old Jan 31, 2005, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

I picked up the magazine and read the article last night. Very good stuff. I understand what caused the RS to brake worse than the GSR and MR from 100mph, but I'm still confused what factors caused the RS to lose ground after the initial stage of the course.

Do any of the people in here who have track experience behind the wheel with both the RS and GSR/MR agree with the magazine's opinion of the RS having more oversteer? I refuse to believe the spoiler or Vortex thingy have that much of an impact...if any. If they do BMW would be slapping them on their M5 and M3. Those 2 cars are built to rule the autobahn where speeds like 120mph are nothing.

EDIT: Ooops...I meant oversteer, not understeer.

Last edited by Steiner; Jan 31, 2005 at 02:18 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by detroit evo
RS for life. (The car or me)

I haven't seen the article and probably won't. Motor Trend isn't on the top of my reading list. But when these guys and the Car and Driver guys came out to ice race with us in the past; it became clear that their expertise is in writing not driving.

Who drove the cars?

What track?

I am curious about the fact that the RS was understeering at the track as one person stated and then oversteering at another part of the track.

Either way, I enjoy my naked, I can lock up the wheels when I NEED to RS, in the snow, on the pavement, and through the gravel.

The cars were all tested by the same person (Chris Walton) for all tests as are 95% of what we test. They were tested at Streets of Willow @ Willow Springs International Raceway in Rosamond, CA for the track testing protion of the comparison and Californaia Speedway in Fontana, CA for the instrumented portion of the testing and I can guarantee you that none of our California test team has done any ice racing recently, so it wasn't us you claim to have witnessed.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt a wing would slow the car down 2mph on a stock Evo or every drag racer would remove the wing when the getting down into the 11's. The wing drag really isn't going to significant until after 60mph, the 0-30, 40, 50, 60 times still are slower, particularly 50 and 60 mph.

From what I understand 1/4 drag racing aerodynamics, really don't become that noticable (ie measurable) until trap speed of over 100mph. I am sure you can measure the difference between and Evo and a Mac truck, everything similar (engine hp/tq cuyrve, weight), but I don't think it would that notice with a buick grand national and evo (given evrything else equal)
I forgot to mention the weight difference between the RS and GSR. Should the two add up to 2 mph difference? Maybe. But there could be a 1-2 mph difference between a strong and weak car too. The little things add up though.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, the RS had the strongest motor of our three test Evo's. Starting February 01, you can view the dyno sheets for all three cars on-line at www.motortrend.com.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steiner
Do any of the people in here who have track experience behind the wheel with both the RS and GSR/MR agree with the magazine's opinion of the RS having more understeer?
RS has more oversteer than either of the other two, not understeer.

I refuse to believe the spoiler or Vortex thingy have that much of an impact...if any. If they do BMW would be slapping them on their M5 and M3. Those 2 cars are built to rule the autobahn where speeds like 120mph are nothing.
Refuse to believe all you want, I taped the ribbons on all three cars personally and can attest to what we discovered, the author of the story, Kim Reynolds rode in the back seat to watch the pattern of the airflow. It was very apparent. What you are forgetting is that the Evo's you see racing all have rear wings, maybe not the factory wing, but they all have a rear wing of some sort.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
I forgot to mention the weight difference between the RS and GSR. Should the two add up to 2 mph difference? Maybe. But there could be a 1-2 mph difference between a strong and weak car too. The little things add up though.
Exactly, it was a combination of the lightest Evo that just happened to have the strongest motor. Funny that even though it had all of that going for it the VIII and MR were quicker at the track.

We could do this test again with three different Evo's and the acceleration numbers could all be close but different depending on how strong the engine is, in which Evo. The track results would likely be the same, since the weakest engined car in this test finished first at the track.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

I refuse to believe the spoiler or Vortex thingy have that much of an impact...if any. If they do BMW would be slapping them on their M5 and M3. Those 2 cars are built to rule the autobahn where speeds like 120mph are nothing.
I have yet to see an actual racing BMW that doesn't have a spoiler. For that matter every turbo Porsche as well. I think the general production versions are styled more to marketability - just past the "boy-racer" demographic. All of the older M's I've seen also were equipped with spoilers:

There's a reason why all f-1, rally, GT, and to a lesser extent NASCAR autos have spoilers and air diverting effects...

If you need more proof, check out this baby
Old Jan 31, 2005, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It would have been neat to see the RS run with a rear spoiler on the road course and see how much difference that would make.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alleggerita
It would have been neat to see the RS run with a rear spoiler on the road course and see how much difference that would make.
I wish I'd thought of that the day we tested.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Evo,RS,MR test data