Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Motor Trend Evo,RS,MR test data

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2005, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVO Neil
I wish I'd thought of that the day we tested.
Yeah, it would have been nice to see the same car do the test w/ no wing, w/ wing, and then w/ wing + vortex generator.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's always next month's issue
Old Jan 31, 2005, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

They're all great cars since they are all Evo's, the bottom line is if you think the MR is worth it buy it, if you don't, don't! Just don't try to convince MR owners it wasn't worth it because I haven't seen one of them post that it wasn't and most traded in an Evo VIII, just as I did.
Did I ever say anything to the contrary? I have never tried to persuade other owners to buy any specific model or put down any model for that matter. Like you said, they are all Evos and whatever makes you happy is fine by me. My own personal opinion is that the performance difference is not great enough for me to drop the significant extra money for the MR over a regular Evo. The RS, while quite the performance machine, is not quite comfortable enough for me for daily driving (which I do use the Evo for).

There's no need to you to jump in the second somebody doesn't offer complete praise to the MR...its a great car and we all know it (regardless of if we think its better than a standard evo or not )
Old Jan 31, 2005, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

I really like the sleeper appeal of the Evo VIII without a spoiler...that's what originally drew me to the RS...but maybe it would benefit from a little spoiler. Who knows? Maybe Motor Trend could do a little follow up.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steiner
I really like the sleeper appeal of the Evo VIII without a spoiler...that's what originally drew me to the RS...but maybe it would benefit from a little spoiler. Who knows? Maybe Motor Trend could do a little follow up.
We already proved that airflow over the trunk is better with a wing than without and gets even better with the Vortex Generator (the ribbon test in the March issue with the Evo's).
Old Jan 31, 2005, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Got the motor trend copy today. Nice and informative article..all 3 Evo's head ON!
Old Jan 31, 2005, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

didnt' they say the motors were pretty close? all with in 1% of each other? I would assume the rs would put out more power cause it has one less pulley (no ac). Granted it is the same motor, but that is less strain on the motor in THAT car. So with less weight and the ability to rev slightly quicker, I would think the RS would be quicker in a straight line.
They also mentioned that the stiffer suspension in the RS coupled with out having the wing and with having the lighter roof (aluminum) it didnt' allow the suspension to load. The EVO VIII had the heavier so it allowed the susension to load and thus handle better.
The lighter wheels on the MR contributed to it being able to brake slightly later so that helps there. As far as straight line performance, weight does make a difference and the wing on the Evo's does produce downforce at 85mph. That would create a slight drag effect and thus reduce the top end. So the RS would have the advantage when it comes to pure straight line performance
Old Jan 31, 2005, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Some were asking about the ABS on the cars. The independent ABS on the EVO's allows the car to activate ABS on the wheel(s) that are locked up and allow the other to rotate. Old ABS systems would kick ABS on to all the wheels if one tire wheel locked up. The independent system allows the each individual wheel to maintain its own maximum grip while braking. This allows for shorter and more controlled stops.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Having had both an Evo 8 and an RS I'd say the test is right on about the wing. The RS rear end would get lively, I enjoyed it...but it probably isn't the fastest way around a track. I personally enjoyed not having the abs as it pulses under your foot over rough pavement. One thing I definately agree with in the test is the 6-speed would be worth it for cruising as these cars are buzzy at speed so any reduction would be felt.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ldstang50
didnt' they say the motors were pretty close? all with in 1% of each other? I would assume the rs would put out more power cause it has one less pulley (no ac). Granted it is the same motor, but that is less strain on the motor in THAT car. So with less weight and the ability to rev slightly quicker, I would think the RS would be quicker in a straight line.
They also mentioned that the stiffer suspension in the RS coupled with out having the wing and with having the lighter roof (aluminum) it didnt' allow the suspension to load. The EVO VIII had the heavier so it allowed the susension to load and thus handle better.
The lighter wheels on the MR contributed to it being able to brake slightly later so that helps there. As far as straight line performance, weight does make a difference and the wing on the Evo's does produce downforce at 85mph. That would create a slight drag effect and thus reduce the top end. So the RS would have the advantage when it comes to pure straight line performance
To my knowledge, every RS has A/C
Old Feb 1, 2005, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

the RS comes without ac. but you can opt for the jungle package and sprinkle in what you would like, ie power windows, ac and such. it says it in the article they tested an rs without ac
Old Feb 1, 2005, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

The urban jungle package never materialized. It was axed before release and all USDM RS's have AC and no power windows.

However, this was a press fleet RS so it is very possible that this was just one of those pre-release RS's without the mythical "urban jungle" package.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Every single RS sold in the USDM has AC. It's not an even an option.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Exactly, it was a combination of the lightest Evo that just happened to have the strongest motor. Funny that even though it had all of that going for it the VIII and MR were quicker at the track.

We could do this test again with three different Evo's and the acceleration numbers could all be close but different depending on how strong the engine is, in which Evo. The track results would likely be the same, since the weakest engined car in this test finished first at the track.
MR rulz! take that RS ..... when I saw the .3 sec difference on the 1/4 mile, I knew it had more to do than just the weight difference and the RS had to have had a stronger motor of the three .... weakest engine and still the fastest on the track
I've always felt that RS is the car to own, if you want to mod/strip for the track (race car) but wouldn't be the fastest in base form on the other hand MRs were the fastest in base form and were for those who didn't want to mod/strip for the track.

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Feb 1, 2005 at 10:45 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
MR rulz! take that RS ..... when I saw the .3 sec difference on the 1/4 mile, I knew it had more to do than just the weight difference and the RS had to have had a stronger motor of the three .... weakest engine and still the fastest on the track
I've always felt that RS is the car to own, if you want to mod/strip for the track (race car) but wouldn't be the fastest in base form on the other hand MRs were the fastest in base form and were for those who didn't want to mod/strip for the track.
For .27seconds hmm. I'll take an RS and throw slicks on it and still be less expensive than the MR and beat it. Or maybe a suspension or maybe just that sway bar to botton down that rear end and I'll again be faster but cheaper.
To each is own though

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Evo,RS,MR test data