Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HKS F-Con V Pro

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS F-Con V Pro

Today I picked up my MR from Pruven Performance. I dropped the car off on 1/20 to have extensive modifications put on. HKS Kansai intercooler hard piping, Tial blowoff valve, Samco radiator hoses, Perrin fuel rail, Ultimate Racing 785cc injectors, FPR and fuel gauge were the parts put on. After all that was done, Dan, Kenny and Shawn got to work on installing and tuning my HKS F-Con V Pro engine management computer. The dyno plot below shows the final results of the tune.

The peak numbers are actually lower than what I had when I was running Dynoflash tune. But peak numbers can be quite deceptive. The feel of the car is totally different. First and foremost, the low end power has increased dramatically. For these numbers the car was detuned to 20 psi and a 10.8 A/F ratio. Once the bottom end is worked out to my approval, I will give Dan the green light to spark the wick and extract some real power out of this engine. The V Pro system is definitely not for everyone though. Associated costs for knock sensing and A/F reading are daunting to most as the V Pro does not come with any sort of knock sensor. Next series of mods coming soon.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

wow. hks :-D
Old Jan 27, 2005, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

The V-Pro is a "pruven" EMS (sorry for the pun) but unfortunately only authorized tuners can modify it. That's a major turn off for me as there is no one near me that has the software to tune this unit.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 09:57 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by kmxxbadboy
Today I picked up my MR from Pruven Performance. I dropped the car off on 1/20 to have extensive modifications put on. HKS Kansai intercooler hard piping, Tial blowoff valve, Samco radiator hoses, Perrin fuel rail, Ultimate Racing 785cc injectors, FPR and fuel gauge were the parts put on. After all that was done, Dan, Kenny and Shawn got to work on installing and tuning my HKS F-Con V Pro engine management computer. The dyno plot below shows the final results of the tune.

The peak numbers are actually lower than what I had when I was running Dynoflash tune. But peak numbers can be quite deceptive. The feel of the car is totally different. First and foremost, the low end power has increased dramatically. For these numbers the car was detuned to 20 psi and a 10.8 A/F ratio. Once the bottom end is worked out to my approval, I will give Dan the green light to spark the wick and extract some real power out of this engine. The V Pro system is definitely not for everyone though. Associated costs for knock sensing and A/F reading are daunting to most as the V Pro does not come with any sort of knock sensor. Next series of mods coming soon.
With any engine management system the real limitation is the octane of the fuel you are using - hence - I would expect similar numbers on pump gas on similarly conservative tunes. Obviously the V-Con pro has a lot more potential with more advanced mods when you start getting into building the motor.

Here is the dyno flash sheet on your car for comparision

Old Jan 27, 2005, 10:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of curiosity, what is this "feel" that you speak of? I am looking at the 2 sheets and it seems to me that the tunes are very close. Seems like at this stage of mods you would have been better of sticking with your ROM tune. Maybe with mods later on you will see a benefit.

Sean
Old Jan 27, 2005, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks, Al. I was comparing the sheets the other night and I came to notice how safe your air/fuel ratios were as well. I don't think my knock sensor has ever picked up any detonation since I've been on your tune. That and the fact that I only fill up on 93 and above. On a side note, I did speak to Jarod at BR and we were discussing the Alcohol injection system. At first when I saw it on their website, I thought that there was no way a 2005 model could take that on due to the ACD stuff being there. But Jarod informed me of a universal kit that could be mounted elsewhere in the engine bay or in the trunk.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 10:28 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by kmxxbadboy
Thanks, Al. I was comparing the sheets the other night and I came to notice how safe your air/fuel ratios were as well. I don't think my knock sensor has ever picked up any detonation since I've been on your tune. That and the fact that I only fill up on 93 and above. On a side note, I did speak to Jarod at BR and we were discussing the Alcohol injection system. At first when I saw it on their website, I thought that there was no way a 2005 model could take that on due to the ACD stuff being there. But Jarod informed me of a universal kit that could be mounted elsewhere in the engine bay or in the trunk.
They are doing a custom install on a MR at Buschur today - I did the flash tune on that ealrier this week. With teh alcohol you can safely run an additional 5 psi and race gas settings on pump gas - should be good for 390 whp on the Fcon with ease. If you want a kit let Dan know and we'll set it up.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sean I
Seems like at this stage of mods you would have been better of sticking with your ROM tune.
don't forget that this is only at 20psi. Mike asked for an "extra conservative tune". If i put 3 more psi in it ,i'm sure i could have made more.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Ken, I'll be up next Thursday for the new set of gadgets. Just to give you a rough idea, it'll be the following:

1) HKS Navigator
2) HKS Electronic Boost Controller
3) HKS Turbo Timer

If we have time perhaps we can map out the HKS Camp sensors too. Looking forward to seeing you guys again. We going to do grinders again? Those garlic bites kept the hoes away. What was that drink we were going to do with the ginger ale? I need to pick up a bottle of that stuff. Was it Jameson?
Old Jan 27, 2005, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

HKS makes an A/F knock amp that should fix that problem also.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sean I
Out of curiosity, what is this "feel" that you speak of? I am looking at the 2 sheets and it seems to me that the tunes are very close. Seems like at this stage of mods you would have been better of sticking with your ROM tune. Maybe with mods later on you will see a benefit.

Sean
I wasn't really expecting a gain at all with this standalone as far as peak horsepower numbers go. But looking at the torque curve comparison, it does stay up there. And on hard acceleration, it feels like it's pulling harder from get go to 7k. You're right that other mods will bring out more of a benefit in the long run, and that's why I had this put in at this point so that I could have a solid foundation to run on. I could have kept the Dynoflash, but with the addition of the HKS Kansai charge pipe and the fuel upgrades, it would have thrown Al's calibration all out of wack. I still think the world of Al and his flash, but with the add ons that I had put in, I don't think it would have been viable to keep the Dynoflash tune.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by housedj
HKS makes an A/F knock amp that should fix that problem also.
Tha Knock Amp will also be going in, but it will only monitor the knock. It has no provision to retard timing. But at least I'll be able to view if I'm entering a danger zone or not as it has a display unit.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

how about the HKS AFR?
Old Jan 27, 2005, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure if there is a provision for that or not in the V Pro. I think because of HKS's stringent quality control there would really be no way to adjust the A/F settings due to the fact of liability from owners blowing up their own engines. I know it's just 1 full point of adjustment that the AFR offers, but I'd rather stay on the safe side.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

have you tried contacing HKS Kansai Service to see what they do? they have tons of experience with that equipment.

www.kansaiss.co.jp/

Quick Reply: HKS F-Con V Pro