Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Water and oil cooler turbo? Do we need to let it idle on hot days?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2003, 09:02 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water and oil cooler turbo? Do we need to let it idle on hot days?

On the wrx it's not needed but we have ball bearing turbos. Does anybody knows if recommends turbo cool down or turbo timer for our U.S. evo 8?
Old Jan 3, 2003, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the turbine spins in excess of 170,000rpm and so it gets very hot.. it is recommended you let the car idle for a few minutes before shuting down.
Old Jan 3, 2003, 09:16 PM

There was a discussion of always needing to idle for a minute or two so that you don't "coke" the turbo...some knowledgeable sounding people saying that a turbo timer is well worth the money and recommending it to all. Also, this just seemed like the place to tell those who don't know...the synthetic oil is said to be imperitive once it's been used as the porosity of the metal will incorporate synth oil and will not allow dyno oil to penetrate after that. I have a degree in chemistry and have no idea if this is true but it seems reasonable and a lot of people seem to swear by it.

The reason that synth is so important in the evo, from what I understand, is that the turbo is oil cooled and so dyno oil will break down in the extreme temp of the turbo and "coke" it...gum it up with burned oil products which then causes decreased oil flow (like clogged coronary arteries) and further higher temps until the turbo has to be taken apart to be cleaned out.
This is for those wondering about why to always use synthetic.
Old Jan 3, 2003, 09:17 PM

oops...idle for a "few minutes"...per the muthu
Old Jan 3, 2003, 09:18 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So it's not water cooler what so ever? I know water cooled provide a final cycle from the coolant which takes a couple of minutes equating to letting the turbo cooled. I remember subaru mentioning something about that.
Old Jan 3, 2003, 09:23 PM

Mycre is correct.. The use of Sythetic oil was choosen to prevent turbo "Coke" and the turbo is oil cooled.
Old Jan 4, 2003, 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

Is better to double check,cuz most new turbo charged cars have after cool function, (VW 1.8T, WRX, etc) but I guess it doesn't hurt to install a turbo timer
Old Jan 4, 2003, 01:47 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

My question is what happened to the oil cooler on the new US Evo 8? Is it still included? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the features and specs.
Old Jan 4, 2003, 02:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by gtr
So it's not water cooler what so ever? I know water cooled provide a final cycle from the coolant which takes a couple of minutes equating to letting the turbo cooled. I remember subaru mentioning something about that.
I would imagine there is a water jacket around the turbo to keep housing temp under control as well as oil cooling and lubrication for the internals of the turbo.