Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New to Thread: Ready to trade up

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2005, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New to Thread: Ready to trade up

How's it goin all,

First time posting on this site and just from reading a few threads the other day, it seems like there is much less bored disgruntled know it all 12 year old enthusiasts (using the term loosely) hailing the all mighty srt-4 than on my350zmotoring.com. Anyways I just moved down to Pensacola for flight school and have been an avid car enthusiast since I was handed the keys to a power wheels. I have owned an s2000 and I am currently driving my second 350z. I love the car but hate the idea that to gain any appreciable acceleration and top speed gains you need atleast 6k for greddy TT (8k for APS TT....or 4-7k for stillen and vortech SC) 2k for install, 2k forged internals (if any of yall have read posts concerning FI Zs, they have been blowing motors left and right to poor conrods, 1.5k install, 500 new fuel management system. Then the Z is terrible with tire spin so of course new tires are in order as well as hotchkiss or Nismo S-tune suspension upgrades. All of this is a nightmare not to mention at stock 5.6psi boost (greddy TT) the car has been running 13-13.5 1/4s. Not cool for the Z guys who want the performance to match the sexy looks.

I admit the EVO VIII had grown on me. I have tried to deny the amazing accolades virtually every car magazine from Sport Compact to Motortrend has given the EVO. I used to justify my disdain for the car due to the "ricer boy" looks. Slowly but surely the looks were even catching on and soon I was wondering just how did the EVO stack up. I found out last weekend coming back froma club at 2am. I see xenons coming up from back hard and fast. I knew it was time to embarass the IS300 behind me. Once it pulled alongside it was an EVO with 4 passengers vs me and 1 180lb guy. I figured this would be too easy and some guy would go crying to his respective forum telling how great the Z was. All the Yeager in my blood and in all the world could not put out the flames of utter defeat I faced at the hands of this EVO. I downshifted to 3rd goin 50, right in the Z's powerband. We launch from the dig at the same time and the guy pulled 2 car lengths by 90. I could not believe it and to add insult to injury, the guy in the back held up 5 fingers and flicked me off. I was pissed yet impressed at the same time.

Long story short, I test drove an EVO VIII today and the sales rep even had me floor it over railroad tracks where my car would bottom out goin 25. Everything from the sound of the turbo above 3500 RPMs to the rush of speed to the precision reflexes and insane amounts of grip to even the shifter, I LOVE this car. I plan on making a few more months of payments to pay off my Z then I am definitely buying this car. I test drove an STI last year and this thing takes the cake.
Sorry for the long first post but the EVO has been on my mind all day. The best part of all vishnutuning. I'm looking at the V360 w/ cat deletion so I can have the HP of the V390 w/o new camshafts. My question for yall is how reliable are the EVO powertrains and how reliable are they with the various vishnu upgrades? Thanks and I look forward to owning one soon.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by s2kZ
How's it goin all,

First time posting on this site and just from reading a few threads the other day, it seems like there is much less bored disgruntled know it all 12 year old enthusiasts (using the term loosely) hailing the all mighty srt-4 than on my350zmotoring.com. Anyways I just moved down to Pensacola for flight school and have been an avid car enthusiast since I was handed the keys to a power wheels. I have owned an s2000 and I am currently driving my second 350z. I love the car but hate the idea that to gain any appreciable acceleration and top speed gains you need atleast 6k for greddy TT (8k for APS TT....or 4-7k for stillen and vortech SC) 2k for install, 2k forged internals (if any of yall have read posts concerning FI Zs, they have been blowing motors left and right to poor conrods, 1.5k install, 500 new fuel management system. Then the Z is terrible with tire spin so of course new tires are in order as well as hotchkiss or Nismo S-tune suspension upgrades. All of this is a nightmare not to mention at stock 5.6psi boost (greddy TT) the car has been running 13-13.5 1/4s. Not cool for the Z guys who want the performance to match the sexy looks.

I admit the EVO VIII had grown on me. I have tried to deny the amazing accolades virtually every car magazine from Sport Compact to Motortrend has given the EVO. I used to justify my disdain for the car due to the "ricer boy" looks. Slowly but surely the looks were even catching on and soon I was wondering just how did the EVO stack up. I found out last weekend coming back froma club at 2am. I see xenons coming up from back hard and fast. I knew it was time to embarass the IS300 behind me. Once it pulled alongside it was an EVO with 4 passengers vs me and 1 180lb guy. I figured this would be too easy and some guy would go crying to his respective forum telling how great the Z was. All the Yeager in my blood and in all the world could not put out the flames of utter defeat I faced at the hands of this EVO. I downshifted to 3rd goin 50, right in the Z's powerband. We launch from the dig at the same time and the guy pulled 2 car lengths by 90. I could not believe it and to add insult to injury, the guy in the back held up 5 fingers and flicked me off. I was pissed yet impressed at the same time.

Long story short, I test drove an EVO VIII today and the sales rep even had me floor it over railroad tracks where my car would bottom out goin 25. Everything from the sound of the turbo above 3500 RPMs to the rush of speed to the precision reflexes and insane amounts of grip to even the shifter, I LOVE this car. I plan on making a few more months of payments to pay off my Z then I am definitely buying this car. I test drove an STI last year and this thing takes the cake.
Sorry for the long first post but the EVO has been on my mind all day. The best part of all vishnutuning. I'm looking at the V360 w/ cat deletion so I can have the HP of the V390 w/o new camshafts. My question for yall is how reliable are the EVO powertrains and how reliable are they with the various vishnu upgrades? Thanks and I look forward to owning one soon.
Just wait til you mod it
Old Jan 27, 2005, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And another one makes the switch...I love the 350Z, but you said it all right there: 10K and you're still running 13's. The car is dead sexy but sexy doesn't get you anywhere on the track...
Old Jan 27, 2005, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by s2kZ
My question for yall is how reliable are the EVO powertrains and how reliable are they with the various vishnu upgrades? Thanks and I look forward to owning one soon.
the driveline is the most brittle part of the car & can be destroyed if you're out launching at 6k rpm all the time. other than that the car should hold up fine. i would probably go w/a single plate till about 400whp & then upgrade from there. get stainless clutch lines & practice your feather launching. the motor's stock bottom end is solid to 650 crank hp. once you get cams, & mod the head, you will sing to about 9K rpm just like the s2k you had except the stock turbo runs out of steam by around 380whp. Vishnu is a superb tuner, however i would also check out the AEM EMS. i also hope you don't buy the car the guy let you floor!!!!!
Old Jan 27, 2005, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

You will never have more FUN in any other car than the EVO!!! Good call on trading it in.

Welcome!
Old Jan 27, 2005, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

The major problem with the Evo would be the Clutch and in some cases, the Transfer Case. Everything else seems to hold up just fine.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

didn't one of our members tell a story of how he and his four buddies riding with him destroy a Z from a roll the other night? lolz...just kidding. good choice-you'll never look back.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

nice post i promise u wont regret it, that is if ur a car lover as u say u are this car has sooooooo much potencial. Congrads on ur choice and hope u dont get too raped on buying it.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

It may not be the sexiest or the most comfortable thing on the road, but, it is a monster, once you drive one you'll never go back.