Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

If Mitsu didn't promise under 30k I think EVO with 280+HP w/AYC/ACD would be here now

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2003, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If Mitsu didn't promise under 30k I think EVO with 280+HP w/AYC/ACD would be here now

Anyone else agree?
Old Jan 8, 2003, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

I guarantee if they had just dropped the bomb on us there would still be people *****ing, except now it's "TOO EXPENSIVE, IT'S SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE WRX!"

I'm getting a little jaded here.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Rasputin
I guarantee if they had just dropped the bomb on us there would still be people *****ing, except now it's "TOO EXPENSIVE, IT'S SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE WRX!"

I'm getting a little jaded here.

your right...both of u
Old Jan 8, 2003, 06:57 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Longfury
your right...both of u
Yep, they definitely are.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

...i'm right for once
Old Jan 8, 2003, 07:09 PM

themothership said in another post that the horsepower on the US evo is under rated, to avoid having legal issues like ford had when they under rated the horsepower figures on the mustang cobra. since our horsepower is only rated 9 under the 280 you're looking for, and that HP figures can vary a good bit, its possible that the real HP is over 280, and that they kept at least 10 hp legal cushion.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 07:10 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by Longfury
...i'm right for once
Don't worry. It won't happen again.

I think if those are features you think you must have then simply wait a model year. All signs are pointing to the release of AYC and ACD in next year's model. Worst comes to worst you pick up an Evo without or an STi, right?
Old Jan 8, 2003, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

I was going to put in the part about people *****ing about it being like 34k but ya beat me too it
Old Jan 8, 2003, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

i'd rather have mechanical diffs for reliabilty and cast of possible repairs down the road..ACD i don't want...and definately don't want AYC
Old Jan 8, 2003, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Actually even if they priced the car at around 35k, but went all out and didn't do a half-*** job imo, cuz i know mitsubishi can do better than this, i would have not minded paying that extra 7 grand, so i have to wait a lil longer to get it but atleast its better! Maybe the evo is better, but not even looking at number and looking at the DCCD on the suby and the bullet proof 6 spd tranny it doesn't sound that way. I think that mitsu wanted to sell this car only to its "xbox playin pgr and ps2 playin gt3" and that may be a reason why it is so "underkept," but i'd deff pay the extra 7 grand especially mitsu has knowlage on selling high prced cars such as the vr4, which sold for $55,000 brand knew around here in chi... unliek suby who's max they ever marketed anything for was liek somwhere in the mid 30's, but the test hav't come in so who can tell....
Old Jan 8, 2003, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

I love the fact that it is coming cheap but still all there. No ****ty different engine.No ****ty new tranny. All the main stuff is their and I heard that differential swaps arent hard at all. Especially scine they will be dealer options eventually.Isn't the clutch the only new major part on the car?
Old Jan 8, 2003, 09:46 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you've read the new motor trend? They said with the electronic gizzmo the car wold cost sub 30K. I have no idea why wouldn't make it optional? My guess is that they were not planning to bring to the U.S. and the car was not fully ready. That why we get 180lb of bumper. I'd bet the evo 9 will have full U.S. regulation bumpers, 200lbs less weight or the same with ACD/AYC. This next evo will be designed for the U.S. market "because our is the largest" instead of designing a JDM car converting to U.S. spec.

Com'on, most 16yr old will kill themselves with a steering ratio of 2.1 lock to lock!

Ps forgot to mention we could always drop 200lbs on the bumpers .
Old Jan 8, 2003, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by suave3747
themothership said in another post that the horsepower on the US evo is under rated, to avoid having legal issues like ford had when they under rated the horsepower figures on the mustang cobra.
Somehow, I think you have gotten that mixed up. I don't doubt the mothership's knowledge, I just don't think you have quoted him properly. Ford issued a silent recall for Cobras because they OVERRATED its power. After some independent dyno tests, the DOHC 4.6L in the Cobra didn't produce much if any power over the OHV 4.6L in the regular GT. The government doesn't give a damn if you underate the car (as in the Dodge SRT Neon and hopefully the Evolution) but you can't overrate it. Hyundai is experiencing this same trouble as they had OVERrated their line of vehicles too.

As far as adding electronic diffs to the upcoming EVO it sounds as if this will be impossible. Mothership stated certain differences in the USDM car such as emmisions control devices and a larger gas tank that would probably make JDM diffs incompatible. That is, of course, unless Ralliart USA makes US versions of the ACD and super-AYC.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Mitsibishi has been underrating the EVo for years in japan so i wouldn't put it past them

GM has underated cars for decades...i remeber when they chassis dynoed a camaro SS...it was rated at 305 crank horsepower...it had 305 at the wheels
Old Jan 8, 2003, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

Motor Trend has already stated that while the horsepower number on the Evo VII in Japan was understated, the US spec number is right on. They have nothing to gain by understating such numbers here in America.

With that said, they could have made the entire car from lightweight gold, with a 500 hp engine, ACD, AYC, every goody known to man, reduced the weight to 2500 lbs, and priced it at $20k, and you know what?......People would still have *****ed. "I didn't like the colors available," or, "Gold body panels? I'm not getting one because it'll be succeptible to theft."

Bottom line: people will *****. Hell, browse the Impreza forums. Most people are still in the throws of the same orgasm that started two days ago when we found out that we'll have the most powerful STi in the world (barring the insanely limited S-202 edition that came out only in Japan), and we're getting it with ALL the goodies, including the Driver Controlled Center Differentials. But there are people griping that they don't like the fact that they made the engine bigger, or that it's not coming with a stereo standard (you should see the complaints about the WRX stereo, for that matter!) or they don't like it for the new front end style, or my favorite...."Why'd we have to wait so long? I hate Subaru for taking so long to bring it here." This is one of those rare moments where we, as Americans, will have access to greatness, that not even the British are getting, and people still complain. You can't please everybody.

Personally, I'd like to have seen a $35,000 car that'd compete with Viper's and Z06's (0-60 and 1/4 mile. Please don't bring up max speed, or suggest moddifying. I mean from the factory!), with things like ACD as options. But I'm not complaining. Mitsubishi now has major competition. The STi vs. Evo battle has come to our shores, and the stakes are high. Give it time Evo fans, we'll see some REALLY good stuff the next couple of years!