Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: So what are you getting?
I\'m sticking with my evo.
44.05%
You crazy with a 2.5L and DCCD Sti all the way.
28.57%
I\'m waiting for people to test both on deciding.
20.24%
I\'m confused at this point leave me alone.
7.14%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Show of hands II. Buying an evo or sti after subaru's press release. Post thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2003, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Tokyo auto salon starts on Jan 10th I believe.Maybe after seeing what the major tuning houses come up with will help us make a more informed decision.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 07:44 PM

I like the looks of the STi better. However, I seriously doubt it will have 300 Hp and 300 ft-lbs. The JDM and European versions have about "276 Hp" and 270 Hp, respectively. Why the US would get a STi with more power is beyond me. The US always gets the watered down version of any good Japanese car.

I like the overall look of the Lancer EVO VIII. There are some things about the EVO VIII that I really don't like:

For instance, the gay tail lights just don't do anything for me. I would switch them with whatever OEM tail lights that I could get my hands on that don't look like the Altezza knock offs.

I am not too crazy about the front bumper. Reminds me of something Pontiac/GM would make. It also looks like a cheap body kit.

The things that leave me wanting an EVO VIII are the performance, the great potential of the 4G63 (Did I get the motor code right? I'm new to the DSM stuff), and the rave reviews on the EVO VIII's handling characteristics.

I would love to test drive both the EVO VIII and a Subaru STi so that I can compare the two in a fair manner. But, until then I will have to wait to find out what others think and how well they do in magazine test drives/track events.

Change the front bumper and tail lights on the EVO VIII and it appears to be a car that I would DEFINITLEY sell my ITR for.

Does anybody have pictures of the JDM EVO VIII's front and rear bumpers. I have heard that they are different. Don't quote me on this because I am very new to s.

-kenji
Old Jan 8, 2003, 07:48 PM

uhhh.... the U.S. Sti WILL have 300 hp/torque due to a 2.5 liter motor, while the rest of the world gets the 2.0 liter motor. when it is rated at 276hp in Japan it still actually has 300 anyways...
Old Jan 8, 2003, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I have deposits on both cars, don't know what to do, but I am currently leaning towards the Sti, my walking crank left a bad memory... My Mitsu mechanic who does both Mitsu and Subaru for the dealer said get the Subie, they have far fewer problems in general (although who knows about the DCCD).
Old Jan 8, 2003, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

I'll stick with the Evo. I've been following the car since it leaked it might be coming to the U.S. in one of the car mags and now I want that car more than any other. Another thing is with the people changing their mind I am hoping some of these dealers stop losing their damn minds and sell the car at MSRP.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by gsx95
Well, I have deposits on both cars, don't know what to do, but I am currently leaning towards the Sti, my walking crank left a bad memory... My Mitsu mechanic who does both Mitsu and Subaru for the dealer said get the Subie, they have far fewer problems in general (although who knows about the DCCD).
i have heard from i-club that the WRX had ECU and tranny problems
Old Jan 8, 2003, 07:55 PM

If the WRX STi is coming with 300 Hp I think that is great. I just found it hard to believe that the US is actually going to get something like the WRX STi. I am used to seeing the US market cars being watered down versions of their JDM counterparts.

"276 Hp" in Japan means 276+ Hp. The gentleman's agreement between the Japanese government and Japanese automakers comes into effect here. Notice the quotation marks in my previous post.

I am very glad to see some sports cars coming back to the US market instead of more big gay SUVs. In the early to mid 90's all of the Japanese "supercars" disappeared from the market due to the increased US market for SUVs.

-kenji

/edit - gramatical error/

Last edited by kenji; Jan 8, 2003 at 07:59 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

276 is a joke in japan...its a wink wink nudge nudge type of thing
Old Jan 8, 2003, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

I'm still sticking with the Evo. I whole-heartedly agree that lacking ACD, we should have at least been given frond LSD, but I'll live. Just one thing I can purchase with the cost difference between the two cars. Also, I tend to mistrust things developed specifically for the US market and would most definitely prefer the Sti with the 2.0 as opposed to the 2.5. Honesly, I think they both actually look pretty good, though I prefer the Evo's stock wheels by far; can't get myself to like the gold on the Sti. In the end, when weighed together, I think they'll both be great, but I've simply had my heart set on the Evo for far too long now to turn back. As an untangable side-note, I feel (my feelings being nothing more concrete than, well, feelings) the Evo is perhaps more pure in the racing aspect which appeals to me. It's more than likely due to previous reviews on the Sti calling it somewhat more mature than the Evo (which the kid in me responds negetively towards; also realizing that this next Sti is quite different than its predecessor). That last part didn't really have to make sense to anyone but me, but it's enough to keep me planted with .
Old Jan 8, 2003, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

the way that most of these evos will be drivein the ACD and the front LSD will be unnoticable
Old Jan 8, 2003, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

let me rephrase...on the street driving "sportingly" a front LSD and/or ACD would not be felt or helpful
Old Jan 8, 2003, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

How about Mitsu releases an EVO with 300hp and AYC/ACD for $34,000 then we compare the 2 cars and see who wins.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 08:38 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure alot of us are going to the drag strip to see what we run. I'm positive the LSD will help our 60ft. I hate 1 wheel peel on the wrx!! It's gay.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Daveyd
How about Mitsu releases an EVO with 300hp and AYC/ACD for $34,000 then we compare the 2 cars and see who wins.
i agree with u
Old Jan 8, 2003, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by gtr
I'm sure alot of us are going to the drag strip to see what we run. I'm positive the LSD will help our 60ft. I hate 1 wheel peel on the wrx!! It's gay.
in that case an LSD would be helpful...but i don't go near race tracks...i drive hard on mountian roads....i don't go fast enough to tell if a car has an LSD or not...so i am pleased with the EVO as it has been anounced....it will be fast and handle well...the Evo has all i want in a sports sedan so i am not willing to spend the extra money for the STI considering it has stuff i don't want and don't know the reliability of

i am done...i am not gonna talk no more tonight

Quick Reply: Show of hands II. Buying an evo or sti after subaru's press release. Post thoughts.