Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Official CRAZY, HILARIOUS, AND OUTRAGOUS sales stories

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Official CRAZY, HILARIOUS, AND OUTRAGOUS sales stories

This Thread was designed for customers to vent a little and tell everyone about the craziest, most outrageous, and ridicules sales experience in a dealership.

It doesn't just have to be about purchasing Evo's (even though I've heard quite a few). But any dealership goes. (Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, BMW, Rolls-Royce doesn't matter any dealership)

There are a couple of rules

#1) If it was a bad experience please do not mention names of personnel only name of the Dealership.

#2)Please no posts. (Don’t be trying to sell your banged up Evo or SRT-4 on the thread).
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Ok I’ll start it off.

This on is not exactly a customer purchase, but a customer trying to sell his torn up Evo.

First he rolls in an 2003 Evo Silver. He pretends to be looking for an MR. After realizing that I will not take him on test drive in the car (sorry trying to keep it at zero miles). He tells me that he’s actually trying to sell his car. He doesn’t want to sell it privately because it take too much time and it’s a big hassle (so he said). Myself saying, “SURE, how much you want for it.” He slowly replied, “$15,000”. The first thing that came in my mind was, “Ok what’s wrong with it”. Slowly inspecting the car I noticed the worn tread on the tires. In fact on front tire had the tread flapping off the edge. The Brembo’s were shot, he wore the pads down to the metal and the paint was starting to crack on the calipers form the heat. Not to mention the ridicules amount of curb rash on the rims. One rim was even cracked. We proceeded to take the car out for a test drive. The clutch was all the way to the floor. We didn’t even leave the lot. Apparently the kid power shifted the car all the way to the dealership. So I took the Vin# of the car and did a service check. Turns out he had been through 3 clutched in the past 8 months (the first clutch was replaced at 350 miles), a transfer case, one transmission, and a LSD. Wow, no love for his car.

Turns out his dad owns a shipping company and paid cash for it. And he just came from the Subaru store trying to trade it in for an STI.

Make sure you are careful buying anything used
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

dude. there will be some CRAZY stories...
Old Jan 30, 2005, 01:12 AM
Evolved Member

Its not much of a story but it left an impression on me. When I got mine in Sept. of '03 at Santa Monica, there was a $15,000 mark up on the car. After playing all the head games for 6 hours I got them down to $500 over invoice. Then, just when I thought it was safe to relax, the finance guy got a little upset when I wouldnt let him rush me through the paperwork. The intrest rate was wrong and there were several bogus fees, etc.........No suprise they are out of business.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 01:12 AM
Evolved Member

^wow
Old Jan 30, 2005, 02:51 AM

I think I'll go next....

This was when I was in San Jose, California, visiting my grandparents about a year and a half ago....

I decided to go take a look at the Evo at the nearby dealership since Im from Canada and ive never seen one before in person since they aren't sold (or legal) in Canada. I drove up to Capitol Mitsubishi with my grandpa (he stayed in the car), as I was only gonna go in and get a quick look at the car, get brochures, etc...

I walked in and all of the salespeople are sitting in the back of the room laughing at jokes or something, making a bunch of noise, so I proceded over to the Evo. After looking at the car for a few seconds, I notice on the tag on the window that it has a friggin $20000 markup!!! (yes, 20 grand!! seriously!!). While I was looking at the bumper of the car (trying to figure out where the spray nossles for the intercooler are, yes im a dork ), one of the salesmen finally comes over and starts going off on the car like broken record player, spouting a bunch of BS (they tested it against a viper, corvette, ferrari, lamborghini etc and it beat them all in everything, blah blah blah). I popped the hood and took a look at the engine, and he started going off on a bunch of bogus specs that I knew he pulled out of his *** ("yeah its a twin turbo, makes 350 horsepower but its listed lower than that for legal reasons since its so fast" ). I then asked him if the car only comes in 6speed or if it comes in automatic (I know it only came in 5speed, I was just seeing how ignorant he really was) and he replies "no, you can only get it as a 6speed"

He then asked me where I live and I say im from Canada, and I said i don't see any Lancer Evolutions around in Canada becuase they are not sold since they are not legal. Obviously zoning out on the whole "they are not legal in Canada" part and only hearing the "ive never seen one in Canada and they are not sold in Canada" part, he replied "What can I do to sell you this car right now. How would you like to be the first person in Canada with this car?". I then said I had to go, took his business card, and said I would think about it and give him a call and left. I knew if i said i wasn't interested in buying he would TRY to make me interested. I just wanted OUT OF THERE, he was lowering my damn IQ.

Has anyone had as bad of an experience at Capitol Mitsubishi as I had? I could just not believe the ignorance... and a 20 grand markup??!!? What ARE they smoking??????

And I didn't even get a brochure

Oh and BTW don't hold stereotypes on me for owning a Suby, I've always liked the EVO more (but don't tell the suby guys that)

Last edited by awddrifter; Jan 30, 2005 at 03:12 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 04:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am pretty sure I sold the first MR in Alabama. I had the terms agreed to with my client long before the car was to be delivered. Only problem was, the car wasn't allocated to my delaership - yet. We were finally able to secure the allocation, but MMNA stipulated that the car had to be present at the Birmingham Auto Show which took place over a four day weekend last November. I had to work a couple of shifts there so, myself, my coworkers and the red jumpsuit models Mitsu provided took turns keeping an eye on this car to make sure nothing happened to it. He was there the first day as it was his and mine first time even seeing an MR in person, much less touching it. I could feel his pain as seemingly everybody from the quad county Birmingham metro area got in and out, open and closed the hood and trunk and doors over the course of that show. But it survived without any incident or damage. But to top it all off, just when we thought it was over and the car would go to our store - all of the show's cars were delivered to another dealer a hundred miles away as they were orginally allocated. So we then had to pay a truck to go and get it and bring it back a day later. Talk about logistics.

I finally delivered the car around 7pm that night. And oh what a great feeling it was to put those keys in that man's hands.

Last edited by GPTourer; Jan 30, 2005 at 04:05 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is an incompetent sales group story for you. I drive up to the local Mitsu dealer (Dorsett Mitsubishi... if you want no dealership names in the stories delet the thread now! ) in my 03 EVO. I get out. I walk to the showroom and start looking at the 05 they have in there. Not a single salesman moves. I go back to my car and look at somthing (checking area on the dash that has ACD switch in the 05 vs my 03 without ACD) and walk back into the delership and read the entire window sticker on the car.... still not a single salesman comes over.

These people honestly told me once that there isn't a market for EVO's in my town, because they havn't been able to sell them! When they first came out they had one with a huge markeup and it didn't sell. Then after the markups went away they were still looking to screw people on trade in to make up the 5 grand extra profit they wanted to make on the car. Everyone I know in the area who owns an EVO bought it from out of town..... I wonder why?

Keith
Old Jan 30, 2005, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

yea, not a sales story but libertyville mitsu has always had "market adjustments" on their cars, they have 6 right now and i think 2 r used one has mods so im sure its been driven lol, i think the average mark up runs about 5k and on their one mr of 4 this year i think, has like 10 k maybe? not sure but they want to much money for these damn cars and its sickening. one salesman told me they were getting more mr's than any other dealer, they had 4, i beleive i saw a pic of a dealer with like 8 or 9? someone corrrect me if im wrong. IDK anymore i want one so bad but its frustrating trying to save a down payment on minimum wage for a 30k car that keeps going up..cant wait to see the mark up on the IX woot argh goodluck to anyone else trying to get one
Old Jan 30, 2005, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

I drove my 03 to the Mitsu dealership to pick up a hose clamp. No big deal, covered by warranty part replacement. Immediately I had sales guys come over and ask me if I wanted to buy an MR. I guess it's just them hungry for some cash, but I found it amusing.

Also...these places that mark up cars are irritating. I really wish people wouldn't throw their money away, buying from these clowns. But they always do, so the jerk dealerships never stop doing it. Frustrating to see that. But look around outside your area. Buy the car that way. Even if you ship it across the country, you're still talking less than a 5k dollar markup, and it keeps money out of the price gouger's pockets.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

when i went to first check out the evo, i went to mike everette mitsubishi in hickory, nc...i went in and they were pretty nice...i had called beforehand and told them i was coming...everything was ok at first until i went on the test drive...we took the car to a back road to i could take it on some corners and such...we pass a cop...cop pulls me over and tells me theres no tag on the car...shes looking at me and i turn to look at the salesman so he can explain...since it was his fault he didnt put the dealer tag on...so i look over at him and hes leaning back in the seat and looking at me...he was leaning back so the cop couldnt make eye contact with him and was looking at me like "oh ****"...

so i have to explain to the cop that im test driving the car...and she asks where the temp plate is...i tell her i dont know and look at the salesman again...hes still freaking out...im thinking damn man are you in serious trouble or something...the cop was nice and told me to just take it back to the dealer and get a tag...i was like yes maam....

so we go back and i drive the car again...hes really apologetic this time around and im thinking f you dude...anyways...i ended up buying a car from them...they were all about telling me to give them all 10s on their eval...he told me if i didnt give him all 10s that his pay would not increase...i said ok but i was thinking that it wasnt my problem that he didnt impress me...anyways, bought the car for a good deal...he called me a couple times in the next few weeks to ask me how i liked the car and if it was doing ok...after that i got the eval in the mail...gave him honest (bad) ratings and sent it back...havent heard from them since....

Old Mar 20, 2005, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

So I think this was called Quality Motors or something like that...a Mitsu dealership in Waukesha, WI...I had been looking for the evo and it was near my work...I noticed they had a few, so I went to check them out. I was trading in a car and had already secured a loan through my credit union, and it makes it a lot easier to deal with dealers. I didn't have to worry about applying for a loan, I just worried about the price. So I went in, and they had an RS, VIII, and an MR. I had only decided the RS wasn't for me, and wanted to know what I could get for paying more for the MR...the salesman tells me they are the same, except the MR has 20 more HP. So I immediately know the dealership is BS, but I figured I see what kind of price they could offer. The salesman talks to his manager in the office(open door) and I over hear the manager saying that its useless to talk to me since I probably make $7 an hour, and there is no way I could afford the car(I guess someone who is 23 and successful can't afford such an expensive car). So I hear this, and step into the office to let him know that I would never buy a car from him, and there may have been a few **** yous in there, but he kicks me out of the dealership...So, since I doubt they will sell any cars, I won't tell people not to go there, that is unless, you want a stock MR with 20 more HP than other EVOs. Anyway, I bought my car closer to home, in Libertyville, the salespeople there are much cooler anyway.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

I will try to keep mine short. I was in the process of buying an rx8 and thought I had arrived at the right price. Me and the salesman did the back and forth thing for a few days and finally he agreed to 25k OTD for an 04 base model that they needed to get rid of. (all fees, everything included in the 25k)

So I go and put my deposit down, and have my old grandparents come pick me up to go pick the car up. Well, I am damn glad I stoped by the credit union first. Those bastards tacked on Tax Tag, ect. on top of the 25k, when they knew damn well 25k was the out the door price. I still have the email where they agreed to it..

So I went back got my deposit and left. Not sooner did I get home when there was a call from the owner trying to kiss my *** and get me back in there. But it was too late by then. I know these guys lie about specs of the car etc., but to go back on a deal after you agree to one is not cool.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by healthynine
So I think this was called Quality Motors or something like that...a Mitsu dealership in Waukesha, WI...I had been looking for the evo and it was near my work...I noticed they had a few, so I went to check them out. I was trading in a car and had already secured a loan through my credit union, and it makes it a lot easier to deal with dealers. I didn't have to worry about applying for a loan, I just worried about the price. So I went in, and they had an RS, VIII, and an MR. I had only decided the RS wasn't for me, and wanted to know what I could get for paying more for the MR...the salesman tells me they are the same, except the MR has 20 more HP. So I immediately know the dealership is BS, but I figured I see what kind of price they could offer. The salesman talks to his manager in the office(open door) and I over hear the manager saying that its useless to talk to me since I probably make $7 an hour, and there is no way I could afford the car(I guess someone who is 23 and successful can't afford such an expensive car). So I hear this, and step into the office to let him know that I would never buy a car from him, and there may have been a few **** yous in there, but he kicks me out of the dealership...So, since I doubt they will sell any cars, I won't tell people not to go there, that is unless, you want a stock MR with 20 more HP than other EVOs. Anyway, I bought my car closer to home, in Libertyville, the salespeople there are much cooler anyway.

That place is called Waukesha Mitsu, it changed hands from Kuettner where is where I bought my car from. After 5 dealerships they were the last one. I walked in there said I will pay this price at this interest rate if not see ya. When they said no I started making my way to the door. To say the least I signed the papers that night.
First dealership Porcaro- kinda stupid people, the ones that when you talk to them you feel yourself getting dumb.
Dealer #2- Don Jacobs-I swear I can't get a salesman with an IQ of over 4. As of today they have very good salespeople, awsome customer service, and they warrenty me.
Dealer #3 Griffen Mitsu- I just got off of work, a little grubby and asking to write up papers on the car. @$$holes. Nuff said.
Dealer #4 Renner-Finally a salesman with an IQ over 50 (just kidding Fireball) was about to sign papers then I had to deal with the finace lady from hell. She is a scum sucking stupid non-calling back w*ore.
Dealer #5 Kuettner- there it is sitting in the showroom my soon to be BBY. Story above.

It's either me or there are just morons in the Milw area. Ahh only if stupidity caused pain, thank god milwaukee has Miller.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

OK OK, this isn't an Evo story, but it's on the topic. My Evo buying experience didn't have quite the fun this had. When I graduated college, I had a hoda Civic. By the time I was ready to trade up, it was probably worth about 2K. I just graduated (double major in Psych and CS...CS being the financial path I took) and as a graduation present, my dad gave me a pretty good chunk of change to buy a new car (a really nice amount, I could have bought a new civic and had quite a few grand left over.) So, I had a nice down payment ready, and I was looking at trucks (needed a 4wd.) I go into this GMC place, ask them to show me a decked out 1/2 ton truck. The guy peeks out to see that I got out of a Civic, and says, "Did you win the lottery or something?"
As you can probably guess, I didn't get a GMC...but he wasn't too happy when I stopped in to see him with my fully loaded Dodge (all the bells and whistles.)

Quick Reply: Official CRAZY, HILARIOUS, AND OUTRAGOUS sales stories