Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Handbrake Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2005, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handbrake Question

Hey, i was rolling rolling and i pulled the handbrake and noticed that no matter how hard i pull it, the rear tires dont lock up, they just slowly roll to a stop. So, i decided to try it at like 15 mph, and it did the same thing. It slowed down the car a little, but didnt lock up the rear tires. Is this normal? If not, does anyone know what i can do? Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

yeah its normal because its AWD. if it was FF then they would lock up
Old Jan 30, 2005, 01:22 PM
Former Vendor

doing that plays hell on your center diff.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vegasboy301
yeah its normal because its AWD. if it was FF then they would lock up
Alright, thanks a lot
Old Jan 30, 2005, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by dafarmer69
doing that plays hell on your center diff.
I agree. If you want to destroy your center diff then keep doing that....
Old Jan 30, 2005, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

i only did it once for a second, just to see if the wheels would lock up or not.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

alright, just dont do it again
Old Jan 30, 2005, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nnorris7413
Hey, i was rolling rolling and i pulled the handbrake and noticed that no matter how hard i pull it, the rear tires dont lock up, they just slowly roll to a stop. So, i decided to try it at like 15 mph, and it did the same thing. It slowed down the car a little, but didnt lock up the rear tires. Is this normal? If not, does anyone know what i can do? Thanks.
I sometimes thinks people on this board believe that since it's the Internet and their advice is free, they don't have to think before typing.

I can't see why the center differential would be harmed AT ALL by stopping with the handbrake, as long as you aren't sliding or the rears don't lock up. The center differential only works when the fronts and rears are rolling at different speeds- if you stop with the handbrake, the relative speeds don't change.

You could spin, or wear out the handbrake, or cause some damage if you actually got it to lock up; but I don't think that doing this will do any harm to the differential.

Have fun!
Old Jan 30, 2005, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

hence what the center diff is for.....Difference between front and back wheel speeds. A normal diff is for the difference between left and right wheels when cornering. If you loose traction on the fronts (IE in snow) and not the rears then the center diff will protect the drivetrain from damage. IMO anyway
Old Jan 30, 2005, 05:43 PM
BMS
Account Disabled

I was going about 5mph down a hill, and there was snow, I tapped my brakes, and the front locked up, couldn't stop in time if my life depended on it, there was a stopped car in front of me, as l'm sliding down the hill, I didn't know what to do, my last resort was to pull the ebrake, I was in neutral when i pulled up the ebrake, then my rear tires began to slide also, but I stopped in time, did I mess anything up bying doing that guys?
Old Jan 30, 2005, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BMS
I was going about 5mph down a hill, and there was snow, I tapped my brakes, and the front locked up, couldn't stop in time if my life depended on it, there was a stopped car in front of me, as l'm sliding down the hill, I didn't know what to do, my last resort was to pull the ebrake, I was in neutral when i pulled up the ebrake, then my rear tires began to slide also, but I stopped in time, did I mess anything up bying doing that guys?
wow... that must have been scary, were you in your evo?
Old Jan 30, 2005, 05:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think that there is any damage caused by pulling the hand brake. Just wear on the pads is all. I don't think they helped you stop any sooner than the service brakes could have. They both have to work through the tires.

Of course there is no reason to pull the hand brake in an AWD car without the trick active center diff allowing the differential in speed to occur.

Well one reason, just to park.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

The reason for the non lock up is because, our ebrake, are just 2 brake shoes inside the middle of the brake rotor, it works good for a parking brake, but, it does not has enough force to stop the car, like with other systems that uses an external caliper to the ebrake.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 06:04 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if it'll lock up on dry with 05 models with ACD? Can someone confirm if the pulled ebrake opens the center diff
Old Jan 30, 2005, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Then, for evo's set up for drifting, do they have stronger e-brakes, or do they just have to rely on no e-brake?

Quick Reply: Handbrake Question