Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo problems AND STi problems

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2005, 02:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my friends 05 STI there are a few problems the dealer can not fix. Once the car reaches 100MPH you get a really noisy "howl" coming off of the spoiler. And the passenger window for some reason makes a really good awful shreak. The pax window I think has been fixed but because of the snow I've not had a chance to ride shotgun and varify just yet. However I think the spoiler is just part of the car...

After owning a WRX the engine bay is so restrictive in these cars. Its in a pain in the *** to do any matience even changing the oil. Because you have to take the under body protection off everytime. Even installing a simple BOV can actually be a pain in the ***.

One thing I will say like everyone else has already mentioned they do have a built tranny and clutch. I'm still a big fan of clubwrx and a broken clutch or tranny on an STI I think is really rare.

For the EVO the only thing that I can think of right off the top of my head is the cabin noise in my 03 is alot louder than any other car I've ever owned. I always worry / now a phobia that my tranny is just going to explode and I cant get rid of it. I've even started investing my fund to teamrip for when the sad day happens.
As you know 95% of Mitsu dealers are *******s when it comes to modding and are not that nice to customers. I went in to get Diaqueen oil for my reardiff, and transfercase and the guy would not help me because I did not have a part number. Same thing for a simple oil filter and this is pathetic. Also the ride quality and smoothness in my 03 with tanabe springs(doesnt help any) is pretty rough compared to a stock sti.

However every Subbie dealer I have ever went to has bent over backwards trying to get me what I needed. When my friend bought his STI they treated him and I to dinner while they cleaned it up. They are just really friendly people in general it seems especially the guys at Annapolis Subaru in Maryland. And the guys I bought my WRX off of in Georgetown, KY just super nice people (which means alot ot me), and with Mitsu you will get zero of this unless you get the exception.

Both are really great cars and I would of loved to have an STI however haha I know I made the right decision with the EVO after whipping up on my friends STI every chance I get

Good luck and you wont be disappointed with either but you might not get a testrdrive out of Mitsu so if you want a good one look me up if you are close to DE...

Staton
Old Jan 31, 2005, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tureno-AE86
stop acting like a kid
the title said list the problems not attacking the other car to start crap
evo owner like you give us bad image
^^^^Please accept my humblest apologies. Evo owner like me thought was funny, Richard.

Aside from the afore mentioned badging details, the weak points of the STI IMO are more service and potential related. If you plan on stock stock stock the STI is an awsome car, however the boxer layout means you have two heads and two valve trains to think about. Not only that but ther're pushed up against the strut towers and under an IC. Adding boost is not so easy with an aluminum block and it's already stroked. Soo, your options are limted, expensive and risky.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

stop acting like a kid
I thought it was in good hearted fun and I got a good laugh out of it. I dont think he was serious when he said that. Just lighten up a bit.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 12:17 PM

sti problems or shortcomings?
if it's the latter....
1. 8"-8.5" wide wheel is about the max with some 245 series tires unless you want to roll fenders or ride on super stiff springs with low offset wheels

2. steering rack ratio
3. seats (subjective) fat people = sti, most people = evo
4. small turbo
5. wing and scoop can flutter some, but i rarely notice
6. stock block
7. as mentioned cost of upgrading internals
8. 225 tires vs 235 of evo

and one of the biggest i can think of, and i also feel the same goes for the evo:
you run out of driver ability before you really run out of the car's ability in most cases.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SurfguruJon311
I thought it was in good hearted fun and I got a good laugh out of it. I dont think he was serious when he said that. Just lighten up a bit.
Yeah i agree
Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

stop acting like a kid
the pink STi stickers repel birds from flying too close to the hood scoop ...whoa, lighten up a little dude.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wingless
It comes with gay pink "STI's" all over it.
LOL
Old Feb 1, 2005, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The STI block is not even that strong. When i used to have a WRX, i used to read of how many people blew the motor on the STI b/c they thought it was as strong as the 4G63 which is not. Their bottom end can hold maybe 375-400WHP and thats pushing it. Their tranny and clutch is awesome. As far as the TC on our cars, we have strong TC's. I spoke to Jon from TRE and he said that 90% of customers with blown TC was b/c of wrong fluid put in by them or the dealer, yes 90%!!!! They have a 750WHP DSM on the stock TC!!