Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

First time Launching my Evo !!! =)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2005 | 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

not sure if i liked it or not. lets just say she was having a little too much fun i had to beg her to get out so i could try ..... she launched it like 4 times .... IM like MOM GET OUT MY CAR !!!! kinda cool tho she stopped making fun of my 4 banger.
Old Jan 31, 2005 | 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=BeefyEvo]Dude try it lol its so *****in..... feels kinda cool spinning wheels in AWD car too its like you float or something. BTW be carful while doing this dont miss second.... 1st is kinda non existant if you do it right. nother tip if ur not so great at it on pavment try some gravel or mud ...grass (carful not to chip paint tho.) i can imagin in summer with warm tires this will be a little harder to do aswell but i bet it grips better =)

I know what spinning all 4 feels like it is amazing. I have never launched however my car will spin if there is the slightest bit of moisture on the road. I dont launch my car because i do not like to rag on it. i have approx 350 to the wheels on the stock clutch with 15000 miles. i am planning to keep the stocker for at least the next 2 months then it is off to the races.
Old Jan 31, 2005 | 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

I know what spinning all 4 feels like it is amazing. I have never launched however my car will spin if there is the slightest bit of moisture on the road. I dont launch my car because i do not like to rag on it. i have approx 350 to the wheels on the stock clutch with 15000 miles. i am planning to keep the stocker for at least the next 2 months then it is off to the races.[/QUOTE] Hey i feel the same way about beating on my car ...... i dont like to do it. thats why i thought i would post this method, does not really beat on your clutch infact i did not even smell my clutch what so ever. i got 10k miles on my car. lauched it 10-12 times all low rpm launches under 3k no clutch smell and no ill effects. Try it once you wont break anything ... promise.
Old Jan 31, 2005 | 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

o i am going to try. why not i will have the new clutch in a few weeks and what is the point of having awd if you cant launch it. you seem to have the right idea as far as launching without over doing it thanks for the little right up here. how about you get your mom to record some vids tonight

chris
Old Jan 31, 2005 | 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by calhoun
o i am going to try. why not i will have the new clutch in a few weeks and what is the point of having awd if you cant launch it. you seem to have the right idea as far as launching without over doing it thanks for the little right up here. how about you get your mom to record some vids tonight

chris
Hmmmm you know that sounds like a damn good idea to me (ponders) ill see if i can borrow camera from Dad.
Old Jan 31, 2005 | 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

BTw dont worrie bout breaking stuff (possible) but not very likely at that low of Rpm best to start out at 2k rev and work up to around 3k i would imagin 3.5k would be a surpurb Track launch.
Old Feb 1, 2005 | 09:53 AM

Cool

Awesome, I was wondering how to launch the car without really hurting the clutch...maybe I shall try that sometime.
Old Feb 1, 2005 | 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eevoo
Ahh yes, the "inside-out burnout"

hahhahahaa......

stilll laughing... never heard that one before
Old Feb 1, 2005 | 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Bump , Try it its fun stuff !
Old Feb 1, 2005 | 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Want to launch but can't afford any extra wear on my clutch. Thank you for the information.
Old Feb 1, 2005 | 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

you know what by posting this type of stuff you just gonna make someone regret reading this cuz when they tried and mess up the car whoz gonna fix it
so for these of you never push your car dont do it
Old Feb 2, 2005 | 01:44 AM
DCD
Evolving Member

To the guys that use this technique. I just got back from a drive around some deserted back roads trying this 3000rpm hold.
I couldn't get it! I tried maybe 15-20 times, and it wasn't working. What I was doing was:
1) I would stop on a flat
2) Bring revs up to 3000
3) Ease out the clutch until I could feel the car pulling/car was just just just almost moving.
4) Floor it.
5) Ease out the clutch the rest of the way/Dump the clutch.

Every single time, the car would just bog, and a couple of times it almost bunny hopped down the road. Can any one tell me what I am doing wrong?
Do you dump the clutch or ease it out slightly? I assume my problems are all to do with the clutch operation. What kinda revs are you at when the clutch is fully out? Do you ride the clutch until you feel the boost? Should I wait until I have floored it before I even move my foot from the clutch? My instincts try to keep me from flooring it and having the clutch in at all. I think I may be coming off the clutch too soon, but I would like some confirmation cause I don't wanna damage my car.

From what people say this should slam me back into my seat if done right, but to me, it dosn't seem that I will have enough revs for the car to be boosting that hard? Although I have to say I'm pleased that after doing this 15-20 times, I could not smell my clutch at all, and when I got home and popped the bonnet, if I stuck my head right down in the engine bay I could get only the slightest wiff of clutch so it hopefully dosn't seem to be that bad for the car.
Any help would be appreciated guys thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2005 | 02:10 AM
Evolving Member

launch @ 5000-5500 rpm. very fast slip. just lift your foot off the clutch as fast as you can. it's gonna smell like a ***** though
Old Feb 2, 2005 | 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Stop Trying To Figure Out How To Floor This Unless You Are Thinking To Empty Your Pocket
Old Feb 2, 2005 | 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DCD
To the guys that use this technique. I just got back from a drive around some deserted back roads trying this 3000rpm hold.
I couldn't get it! I tried maybe 15-20 times, and it wasn't working. What I was doing was:
1) I would stop on a flat
2) Bring revs up to 3000
3) Ease out the clutch until I could feel the car pulling/car was just just just almost moving.
4) Floor it.
5) Ease out the clutch the rest of the way/Dump the clutch.

Every single time, the car would just bog, and a couple of times it almost bunny hopped down the road. Can any one tell me what I am doing wrong?
Do you dump the clutch or ease it out slightly? I assume my problems are all to do with the clutch operation. What kinda revs are you at when the clutch is fully out? Do you ride the clutch until you feel the boost? Should I wait until I have floored it before I even move my foot from the clutch? My instincts try to keep me from flooring it and having the clutch in at all. I think I may be coming off the clutch too soon, but I would like some confirmation cause I don't wanna damage my car.

From what people say this should slam me back into my seat if done right, but to me, it dosn't seem that I will have enough revs for the car to be boosting that hard? Although I have to say I'm pleased that after doing this 15-20 times, I could not smell my clutch at all, and when I got home and popped the bonnet, if I stuck my head right down in the engine bay I could get only the slightest wiff of clutch so it hopefully dosn't seem to be that bad for the car.
Any help would be appreciated guys thanks!
I think Timujin has a good tip here:

Originally Posted by Timujin
I can get that off the line bog to go away by spooling the turbo with a few revs right before launch.

That has also eliminated the bog for me. Give it a try.

Cabo

Quick Reply: First time Launching my Evo !!! =)