Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

First time Launching my Evo !!! =)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2005, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i pulled a 1.6 60' sidestepping the clutch at 6000rpm..... what kinda 60' are ppl seeing from this method?
Old Feb 2, 2005, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evotoo
launch @ 5000-5500 rpm. very fast slip. just lift your foot off the clutch as fast as you can. it's gonna smell like a ***** though
mmmmm dont do that !
Old Feb 2, 2005, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tureno-AE86
Stop Trying To Figure Out How To Floor This Unless You Are Thinking To Empty Your Pocket
Do you own an evo ? ....... Neway Thoes who are worring about breaking thier car doing this DONT worrie not trying to force you just saying it will not happen. reving to 2.5k and flooring the car after clutch has grabed will do nothing to your car. i mean think about it some may rev to 1.5k or even 2 for regular street driving. Like i said under 3k you dont have to worrie. GL have fun in the Evo.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_whiplash
Want to launch but can't afford any extra wear on my clutch. Thank you for the information.
i promise keep it under 3k no ill affects, just Fun.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DCD
To the guys that use this technique. I just got back from a drive around some deserted back roads trying this 3000rpm hold.
I couldn't get it! I tried maybe 15-20 times, and it wasn't working. What I was doing was:
1) I would stop on a flat
2) Bring revs up to 3000
3) Ease out the clutch until I could feel the car pulling/car was just just just almost moving.
4) Floor it.
5) Ease out the clutch the rest of the way/Dump the clutch.

Every single time, the car would just bog, and a couple of times it almost bunny hopped down the road. Can any one tell me what I am doing wrong?
Do you dump the clutch or ease it out slightly? I assume my problems are all to do with the clutch operation. What kinda revs are you at when the clutch is fully out? Do you ride the clutch until you feel the boost? Should I wait until I have floored it before I even move my foot from the clutch? My instincts try to keep me from flooring it and having the clutch in at all. I think I may be coming off the clutch too soon, but I would like some confirmation cause I don't wanna damage my car.

From what people say this should slam me back into my seat if done right, but to me, it dosn't seem that I will have enough revs for the car to be boosting that hard? Although I have to say I'm pleased that after doing this 15-20 times, I could not smell my clutch at all, and when I got home and popped the bonnet, if I stuck my head right down in the engine bay I could get only the slightest wiff of clutch so it hopefully dosn't seem to be that bad for the car.
Any help would be appreciated guys thanks!
My advice would be try again start out at just 2.3k or 2.5k before trying at 3k.....
you got the just of it Cept right when you floor it. as ur slowlly letting out clutch floor it before you let out all the way. hard to exsplain...... Goal is dont let the Rpms back down if you rev to 2k and you let out clutch and the Rpms go down ur not giveing enough gas before you let clutch out...... see what im saying hehe so hard to exsplain. but you will know when you get it right.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BeefyEvo
Do you own an evo ? ....... Neway Thoes who are worring about breaking thier car doing this DONT worrie not trying to force you just saying it will not happen. reving to 2.5k and flooring the car after clutch has grabed will do nothing to your car. i mean think about it some may rev to 1.5k or even 2 for regular street driving. Like i said under 3k you dont have to worrie. GL have fun in the Evo.

if you are in the northern va area i dont mind come out and show you my white 05, just cuz i dont like to see a young driver attempting this type of stuff on their evo and mess up their clutch. are you gonna be paying for their bill? ppl need to keep this type of stuff under PM.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tureno-AE86
if you are in the northern va area i dont mind come out and show you my white 05, just cuz i dont like to see a young driver attempting this type of stuff on their evo and mess up their clutch. are you gonna be paying for their bill? ppl need to keep this type of stuff under PM.
i recomend you try it ! and then come back and tell me that it hurts ur clutch.
besides i am posting info for people who want to learn how to better controll thier car. i am not posting to influence others to break thier car. for example i have heard that 7k drops are the best way to launch an Evo. that is far from what my post is about. advice to you..... Find a girl have some kids tell them how to drive. if you have kids follow the above. if you have nothing to contribute besides whiny concerns over others clutches dont post on this thread. Your concern for others is noted thanks.

NE way !!! anyone get out and try this what were results ?
Old Feb 2, 2005, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

I've launched at ~3000 and at ~6000 and got roughly the same time 0-60... For my fastest drag times I launch around 5500 or so, but don't do this with the stock clutch... it will go bye-bye quickly I was using an RMR 6-puck...
Old Feb 2, 2005, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
I've launched at ~3000 and at ~6000 and got roughly the same time 0-60... For my fastest drag times I launch around 5500 or so, but don't do this with the stock clutch... it will go bye-bye quickly I was using an RMR 6-puck...
Never been to the track yet ...... i will go this summer =)
Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BeefyEvo
i recomend you try it ! and then come back and tell me that it hurts ur clutch.
besides i am posting info for people who want to learn how to better controll thier car. i am not posting to influence others to break thier car. for example i have heard that 7k drops are the best way to launch an Evo. that is far from what my post is about. advice to you..... Find a girl have some kids tell them how to drive. if you have kids follow the above. if you have nothing to contribute besides whiny concerns over others clutches dont post on this thread. Your concern for others is noted thanks.

NE way !!! anyone get out and try this what were results ?
Just ignore Tureno, he/she/it hates fun.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Talking

Originally Posted by EvoLife
Just ignore Tureno, he/she/it hates fun.
It seems to be the case. Evolife you ever try this method ?
Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

best I got was 1.7. Clutch out about half way (catching point) 5000 rpms with ebrake up. When the second yellow goes release the ebrake, dump the clutch and WOT.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by eevoo
Ahh yes, the "inside-out burnout"
ROFL!!!! I love the launches that put your stomach in your spinal cord. The Evo is the best!
Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Deca Auto
best I got was 1.7. Clutch out about half way (catching point) 5000 rpms with ebrake up. When the second yellow goes release the ebrake, dump the clutch and WOT.
i hear my car crying from inside the house.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

good stuff beefy, I must say you may be on to something because most of the time when someone post a thread like this you get 10 pages of flamming. I havent tried it yet, bad weather.... But when it clears up I will let you know how it works out.

Quick Reply: First time Launching my Evo !!! =)