Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

First time Launching my Evo !!! =)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2005, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time Launching my Evo !!! =)

Not asking how =) (i know that would be a repost)

i have never really beat my car in low gears, so i was kinda new at this launching thing. you could say i was mildly inspired to learn this becuase of a certain VWr32 that keeps beating me off the line.

ok so im in Lowe's hardware at 1am slightly WET on pavement but wide open in parkinglot very smooth and flat aswell. I am not really interested in killing my clutch so i did not rev to high. Results listed below

I tried a few different ways to launch. found most on this site

1. ok feeling bold Droped the clutch at 4k just bogged felt like i was in a bus.

2. ideling the car (1krpm) and slowly leting out clutch till it grabs the punching it, was alot better but didnt really feel like a launch.

3. ok im thinking ill never get this =/ so i try one last time. Rev to about 2.5 - 3k rpm slowly let out clutch (very slowly) let it out till is right there at the top and you feel ur clutch trying to grab then Wham punch it OMG i thought i unleashed the dragon. really never been so scared in my life. i felt like i was sitting in the trunk.
cant really describe it but the damn car lurched forward spinning tires a little and felt like it was going to go sideways. best feeling ever. Evo Hey BTW thought that i would add start slow try 2k rpm and work ur way up to 2.5k - 3k dont seem like much but you need to feel out ur clutch (know where it lets out) just dont dive in thats when you may break something. just stay under 3k for newbs like me seems like a good number. i must stress the importance of being on flat ground and in an open area. even the slightest bump or lump may cuase you 2 loose controll. i chose slightly wet surface so i could get some wheel spin. after all looseing tred on tires is better then breaking drivetrain parts. GL guys Post some results on how ya did maybe some track 60' times. AND BE CAReFUL

I think this method is (quick slip) not sure. but i smelled no clutch after doing this about 4-5 times. seemed to be a great launch. Cant imagin Reving any higher.
i liked the way the clutch reacted aswell did not seem to burn it at all (please everyone go try this if you have not) dont do it on the road tho go show a parkinglot whats up.

Anyone tried this ? any ways to improve ? i know it was a little wet, i dont think the wheels will spin on dry pavment ? anyone know how to controll the car better when doing this or just hang on for the ride ?

Last edited by BeefyEvo; Jan 31, 2005 at 11:37 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

i might have to make a late night trip to the local lowes tonight
Old Jan 31, 2005, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

haha, close to when i first got the evo, I did a doughnut in a lowes parking lot while damp out.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

same felling when i launched for the first time. IT WAS GREAT!
Old Jan 31, 2005, 08:39 AM

launched my evo plenty of times. i agree best thing to do is punch it right when the clutch wants to grab. ive launched mine at never below 5k but have launced it as high as 6100. it is not as good as the punchin when clutch wants to grab though. needless to say i had to replace my clutch. but it was after about 6 track days autocrossing and 26000 miles
Old Jan 31, 2005, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

I have tried the method you list as being the best. I can get that of the line bog to go away by spooling the turbo with a few revs right before launch. I have launched it about three times using with low rpms (3k rpm or so) and I got some instant gratification with the torque. It's fackin great. I did a rolling launch with my little brother (27 yrs old) in the car last night and he just started laughing.

I have also (IN THE RAIN) done a full throttle clutch dump and got nice 4 wheel spin quickly. The LSD/forward motion took over and bam 2nd gear time. 1st gear went real quick.

Last edited by Timujin; Jan 31, 2005 at 08:54 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by calhoun
i might have to make a late night trip to the local lowes tonight
Dude try it lol its so *****in..... feels kinda cool spinning wheels in AWD car too its like you float or something. BTW be carful while doing this dont miss second.... 1st is kinda non existant if you do it right. nother tip if ur not so great at it on pavment try some gravel or mud ...grass (carful not to chip paint tho.) i can imagin in summer with warm tires this will be a little harder to do aswell but i bet it grips better =)

anyone know if the method i used is hard on the clutch ? i know its not great for it but gotta be better than 6k drops =) anyone use this for Drag ? and what was ur 60' ? thanks in advance and Go LAUNCH ur car its fun stuff =)
Old Jan 31, 2005, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

That's about the best way I've found from my limited auto-x launches I got it down solid at my last event last year, and I could hear the front tires chirp just a tad as I left the start line. It's like you have to just lightly load up the clutch at about 3000 rpm, then slip it out and hold down the throttle. You know it when you get it right, that's all I can say!
Old Jan 31, 2005, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

And I think that is the most gentle way to do it. Any time you smell it you're going to pay, and if you dump it all at once you risk blowing driveline components. I think the way you're talking about is what the engineers had in mind.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Cool figured as much. hehe i let my mom try it shes better then me =/ but sure was a fun ride go mom !
Old Jan 31, 2005, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BeefyEvo
Cool figured as much. hehe i let my mom try it shes better then me =/ but sure was a fun ride go mom !

BWahahaha lol...your mom launched your car

but nothing beats a good 6k rpm launch...
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marks03evo
but nothing beats a good 6k rpm launch...

lol, bet your car isnt going to agree.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Ahh yes, the "inside-out burnout"
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EidolaDream
lol, bet your car isnt going to agree.

the only time ill ever allow myself to do a hi rpm launch is for at the drag strip.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by BeefyEvo

lol, that's awesome

Quick Reply: First time Launching my Evo !!! =)