Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Weight Reduction

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2005, 09:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh, and when i gutted my porsche the carpet/sound deadening/backseat and interior panels must have weighted a good 100+ pounds. i removed all windshield washer stuff saved a few, i removed cruise control, i removed redundant vacuum lines, AC was next on my list but now i am selling it. replacing the seats was a high priority too because power seats weigh over 60 pounds each, while the race buckets are as little as 12. it is amazing how light you can make a car if your willing to sacrafice some stuff.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

An EVO is not a Porsche. Porsches come with tons of expensive options that add weight. My RS is already pretty stripped down. I don't want to give up A/C. I don't have ABS, power seats, power door locks, power windows, a stereo (actually I added one), carpeting in the trunk, etc. Short of adding carbon fiber doors, hood and trunk, there's not much I can do to save weight.

Well the driver could stand to lose 25 lbs., that would sure help.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliArtEvoVIII
I never use my AC even tho i live in Sunny CA. Im really skeptical about wasting gas/power, etc... so i just use the windows.
mythbusters actually tested running a/c to the drag of having your windows down and found that you get slightly better mileage with your windows up and a/c on. just food for thought.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

yea i know that. On freeways, i tend to keep my windows up cuz im fully aware the drag affects ur mileage, on street it doesnt tend to bug me as much cuz its only cracked about 4 inches. i never roll my windows all the way down. Can anyone gimme a link showing me how to take the entire AC system out of an evo!? And also, would my heater work without AC system/
Old Feb 2, 2005, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

your heater would still work with the A/C removed, heater uses the coolant lines to go through the heater core. you should only have to remove the condenser and the pump. i've done it on a few hondas, it shouldn't be any different with a mitsu.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 02:41 PM

How much weight savings can you get replacing the radiator with an aluminum unit?
Old Feb 2, 2005, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nubby
How much weight savings can you get replacing the radiator with an aluminum unit?
Stock radiator is made of aluminum already with plastic top and bottom, not much weigh difference from stock but the strength and durability and better capacity, it is better.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

i need specific evo directions, a walk thru how to guide on what to remove exactly and what to do once i remove it, etc..
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i need specific evo directions, a walk thru how to guide on what to remove exactly and what to do once i remove it, etc..
i need a million dollars
sorry cant help
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dohcvtec
mythbusters actually tested running a/c to the drag of having your windows down and found that you get slightly better mileage with your windows up and a/c on. just food for thought.
you must not have watched that episode to the end. the first test they did used a computer to calculate MPG based off of the airflow readings and distance traveled. and they only did a few runs. the results were as you stated.

the second test they did later in the episode, they filled both test SUV's with identical amounts of fuel (after handing pumping the gas tanks empty), and ran one with the windows down, and the other with the AC on, around a track until they were empty. the car with the AC ran out of gas like some 15 laps before the car with the windows down (i think it was like 15% or more better MPG with windows down then AC).
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
An EVO is not a Porsche. Porsches come with tons of expensive options that add weight. My RS is already pretty stripped down. I don't want to give up A/C. I don't have ABS, power seats, power door locks, power windows, a stereo (actually I added one), carpeting in the trunk, etc. Short of adding carbon fiber doors, hood and trunk, there's not much I can do to save weight.

Well the driver could stand to lose 25 lbs., that would sure help.
other ways of removing weight, remove the rear wiper (i think the RS doesn't even have one to begin with...) and the fluid resevior for that. i'm sure you can get a plug to fill the hole it was in from the plug the RS uses.

again, the seats in the evo are not as light as fixed back buckets would be. you could remove the airbags. i guess i'm missing the point. if your shooting for a race car, you can remove the entire dashboard and zip tie your gauge cluster to the steering column. if you want to keep the car stock looking, then your only hope is to replace existing equipment with lighter stuff. a big difference will be in wheels. get some SSR comps in 17's. they weight 14.5 pounds each, then find some ultra light tires, and you will notice a huge difference. go with no center caps, and the lightest brake rotors you can find. stoptechs are really light, and i'm sure there are others. reducing rotating mass makes a big difference.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 05:54 PM

I think you guys missed one of the easiest weight savers. Stay below 1/2 tank of gas. 1/2 tank of gas > 30 lbs. Plus you won't lose any gas topping off.

1/2 tank will kill your driving range though.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 04:58 PM

Just take everything out? The A/C heating system is not hard to find..
Old Feb 10, 2005, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

i removed the front bumper bracket support. The big black heavy piece of metal behind the front bumper and its brackets. A good 30lbs removed. Next is the ac, the trunk is already gone. I'll try to post a pic of my evo on race day
Attached Thumbnails Weight Reduction-june30.jpg   Weight Reduction-june30h.jpg  
Old Feb 10, 2005, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
other ways of removing weight, remove the rear wiper (i think the RS doesn't even have one to begin with...) and the fluid resevior for that. i'm sure you can get a plug to fill the hole it was in from the plug the RS uses.

again, the seats in the evo are not as light as fixed back buckets would be. .
I removed my wiper. The motor, blade and everything totaled about 8lbs. The rear seatbelts, the rubber mat underneath the rear deck, and rear speakers totaled 23lbs. The rear seat weighs quite a bit also, i dont' know the weight.

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction