Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Weight Reduction

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weight Reduction

Whats simple ways to reduce weight on a daily driven Evo. Only thing i did was ditch some stuff in the trunk and take out my spare. I was thinkin of removing my AC system, is there a link on how to do this without risking damage on anything? and btw: how much does the entire AC system weigh, and if i remove AC, my heater still works right
Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

If you are really that much in need of weight reduction take out the back seats first. They weigh way more than the ac....
Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

A/C is the single heaviest component you could delete. Here in SoCal, I would not want to be without it. There are not a lot of weight reduction opportunities in the EVO, especially in my RS. For example, removing the back seat saves almost nothing, it is just a light piece of foam.

Why don't you add hp instead? There are lots of opportunities to make the car faster, weight reduction just isn't much of an option. The EVO is built like a tank. The tub weighs 700 lbs.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

hahah....yea i know to add HP, but to add HP and shed an extra 30-50lbs doesnt hurt either ya know? I never use my AC even tho i live in Sunny CA. Im really skeptical about wasting gas/power, etc... so i just use the windows. I was THINKING about backseats, but "DAILY DRIVEN EVO" and i daily drive my gf and her 2 bros to school so that owuldnt work. the backseat comes off with ease but its just foam to me. If it was just me and my GF, i would take out the entire backseat and carpeting, along with useless trim in the rear, but for now im just focusing on regular weight reductions without hurting much. Took out my spare, probably sehd close to 15, 20lbs with that. Now thinking about removing AC system. Directions for these and the weight of the entire system would be nice, thanks. PS: any more ideas would help 2!
Old Feb 1, 2005, 11:12 PM
Former Sponsor

My car w/ me in it when its ready to race is 3,194, i believe robis evo is around 2,800

Few easy ways for you to reduce weight is
1. Ti exhaust
2. Ti Cat
3. Coilovers
4. Take out everything in the trunk
5. take out Floor Mats
6. Take out whatever you feel u dont need =) (back seats, Carpets, sound damping etc etc)
Old Feb 1, 2005, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

A light weight battery could reduce around 20lbs.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Lose 50lbs by going on a diet! Hahaha J/K!

If you really never use your AC then sure...ditch it. Then go with all the Ti stuff mentioned above. Ditch the wing. get C/F hood and trunklid (The AAR DryCarbon parts...not the ricey VIS stuff) Ditch the carpet, ditch the stereo, remove the sound deadening material, if you have a sunroof, replace it with a C/F insert, get lightweight wheels, coilovers, remove all the extraneous stuff from the engine bay (ie engine hooks, coolant overflow container, any brackets that are "unnecessary".

These are NOT practical ideas...only some ideas for "adding lightness"

I think I saw some c/f doors on here for like $4500. You must use a rollcage with these however-which adds weight.

I would seriously be surprised if you could get the car below 2800lbs. better to do some of the practical things, than add HP to make up the difference.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

robi's car has carbon fiber doors, hood and trunk, all painted body color (silver). At Calif. Speedway roadcourse last December, he told me not to leave he doors open, because they might blow off in the strong wind that day. He was only halfway kidding.

Thats's a pretty extreme way to save weight. Adding hp has gotta be cheaper in an EVO.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carbon fiber hood and trunk: -14kg
Light wheels, depending on wheels: -10 kg
Air conditioning: 20 kg
AYC: maybe 30 -40kg
Light flywheel: -1kg but it will feel like you took of 100kg in 1st gear, 60 in 2nd, 40 in 3rd etc.

remove:
Small battery/sparetire/carpet/backseats/new steering wheel "no airbag"

Empty I/C sprayer and windshield wiper fluid.

remove the stereo, remove AC, replace front strut bars with titanium one, carbon fiber front and rear trunks, fiberglass front bumper, remove rear door panels...

strip your trunk... 41 lbs (spare and tools), 6lbs (carpet), 3 lbs (lining and sound deadning). Emptied washer fluid tank - 3 gallons /10lbs maybe, Front bumper beam-13lbs, rear bumper beam -17lbs, - Floor mats 4lbs
94 lbs ttl

front and rear bumper support...saves 35lbs...'

All the AC stuff weights 60+ lbs. You can always remove all the smog stuff, like the charcoal canister, EGR, and all the associated vacuum lines if smog is not a concern to you. Change all windows from glass to lexan. Build fiberglass or carbon fiber doors. Carbon fiber all your suspension arms, driveshaft, axles. After you've spent all this money, you might as well go buy a porsche 911 turbo.

the only other thing that other people haven't mentioned is carbon fiber fenders, and there are weight savings from replacing the hood, i don' t know why people say it's pointless the apexi evo saves almost 8 pounds and with a varis hood you can save almost 6. and don't run low on fuel if you're gonna take any turns, the fuel tank is shaped like a saddle and you'll get really bad fuel starve and destroy something.

replace not remove:
battery, fenders, bumper(s), hood, trunklid, wing, wheels, tires, brakes, coilovers, front strut tower bar, radiator, intercooler piping, exhaust, racing seats, drive shaft, flywheel, pullies (not recommended), and all interior paneling can be replaced with cf pieces from tado. and i think i didn't forget anything.

biggest bangs will be seats, if you actually spend 2gs a seat you can shave 20 pounds per seat. exhaust is at least 20 pounds more if you get ti (keep in mind there are a lot of fake ti systems out there, jic and greddy make the only real ones i know of that aren't japan only). trunk lid will save you almost 15 pounds if you get the best (all american motorsports) but about 10 if you get a varis. replacing the front bumper with a gialla piece will force you to remove a bumper beam so net you about 15 pounds. wheels can save you about 5 pounds a wheel, ce28 in 17x9 is 14.6 pounds a wheel. don't spend money on light wheels and get heavy tires, get some nice rubber (basically don't get heavy falkens). you already did battery and that's a huge one up to 20 pounds. all the other mods are tiny weight savings that will add up, maybe with all the other stuff done that i listed you can shave another 20 pounds. and remember i didn't list anything to remove cept the bumper frame, so there's much more there.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 02:38 AM
Evolved Member

^^wait...
you guys were talking about c/f hoods and trunks and fenders?
what material are these made out of on the USDM E8?
because my original hood and my c/f hood weigh the same. and the fenders on my jdm E7 must weigh like 3lbs....
the trunk weighs between 12-15lbs i would say

the entire front of the e7 is all soft light aluminum....
Old Feb 2, 2005, 02:43 AM
Evolved Member

yeah doesn't the VIII also have an aluminum hood to begin with?? correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo 8 fenders, trunk and hood is aluminum, but feels like plastic, lite. From what I read... it doesn't even make a big difference getting a CF hood unless you just want it for looks. Take out the AWD system and the evo will probably be a lite as a stripped out honda.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Change out the Recaro seats, can easily save 20-25lbs per seat going with a fiberglass shell. Even more with CF shell.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

still no instructions on how to take out AC. The simple things ill do today is drain wiper fluids, reduce the amount of tools in trunk (still a daily driver), and take out the engine. Jk..but yea more suggestions for DAILY driven would be great
Old Feb 2, 2005, 09:22 AM
Former Sponsor

get the light weight battery everyone said. it is a good 20-30 pounds difference. it is about 1/3 the size and will still work on a daily driven car.

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction