Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Alarms and turbo timers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2005, 06:26 PM
DCD
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I have been wanting to get a turbo timer, but at the moment I tend to just slow down and chill out before I stop I have heard that it is much better for the car to be run down slowly instead of using a turbo timer in most cases anyway. Due to airflow through the radiator/oil cooler, brakes cooling etc...
Old Feb 10, 2005, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

I was looking in to getting a starter/alarm, went to a store today. They told me that remote starters on manuals are ilegal in michigan, and they wouldn't touch it. Also the manger put one on his car left it in gear when he started it and it ran through his garage. Anyone else have any problems?
Old Feb 10, 2005, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

i'm from michigan origanally and i dont remember them being illegal. ii know alot of people that have them back home. you can even buy one at kmart if you really wanted to.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by adamhw
I was looking in to getting a starter/alarm, went to a store today. They told me that remote starters on manuals are ilegal in michigan, and they wouldn't touch it. Also the manger put one on his car left it in gear when he started it and it ran through his garage. Anyone else have any problems?
its more of a liablity issue, in case you do leave it in gear. shops do install remote start for manuals.. the big chain electronics stores wont.
some might do everything but connect the wire needed to use the remote start and you have to connect it yourself. you should call around your area.
only thing is i just hate the fact that you have to arm the turbo timer. where as true turbo timers work automatically.
btw i have the clifford matrix 3.5rsx since i had the car.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thoe99
What kind of alarm is everyone using? If you have a separate turbo timer, let me know how it works with your alarm because I was told it really couldn't.
no NOT true. I had an alarm installed on my Z after the turbo timer was in . This guy was a custom installer that came to my house and did it, so I guess he has special skills. Anyway - he said he just needed to put in a relay to make it work.
and it did. I have no idea how to find him now - so don't ask

BUt it can be done.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 09:20 PM

yeah, but the alarms operate off a specific time. they don't measure output via the ecu and calculate an appropriate cool down period like a TT does.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 03:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thoe99
I was told the turbo timer feature of an alarm won't work, cuz I didn't install the remote start feature.
This is not true. I have an Airwolf (asianwolf.com) 2-way paging alarm with remote start capabilities (NOT installed) and turbo timer option (INSTALLED). Works great. Not a single problem. I just didn't want/need the remote start option, so they just did the alarm + turbo timer option no problem. So unless your particular model alarm is weird or something, you should totally be able to enable the alarm's TT w/o the remote start.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

i have a greddy tt and a code alarm with two way pager remote usually im close enough to the car that the alarm will arm after the engine shuts off
Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:35 AM

awwright. the shop did it! my alarm and TT play very nicely together. turn key off, lock car, car runs, car shuts off. alarm still armed.

here's their info for those of you in the NoVA area:

Hurley's Auto Audio
Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:42 AM

hey guys im looking to get a tt and alarm but im a little confused...if i could get the tt without remote start like the other guy said how would that help in when you first start the car? does it not allow you to push the car simmilar to how the s2000's do? do any of them do that? i think that would be a better idea than say remote start and let the car warm up before you drive?
Old Feb 13, 2005, 01:05 PM

not exactly sure what you're asking, but there are two things going on in this thread:

1. those who have an alarm with built-in tt.

2. those who have an alarm and want to use a separate tt.

most of these alarms that we're using have a remote start feature that allows the car to warm-up and be ready for you when you're ready to leave for school/work in the morning. many places won't install this because either they refuse to do it on manual cars or it's illegal in your municipality.

now on to the tt. my alarm for instance has a built-in tt (as well as the remote start feature which is not installed). if i were to use the built-in tt, i would just program the tt to shut the car off after a specified idle time. it doesn't read any levels from the ecu. i preferred to use a tt that took the levels from my ecu and calculated the appropriate idle period for my car.

the problem most of us ran into when trying to use an aftermarket tt with an alarm is that the alarm would go off once the tt shut the car off. so you'd get out and arm the alarm and as soon as the car shut off, the alarm would sound. with some work, it appears that you can bypass whatever is necessary in the alarm to have it not go off when the car shuts off.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

I have a compustar alarm/turbotimer/autostart with a little pager key fob thing. Both the turbotimer and remote start features work fine with the alarm armed.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 01:59 PM

jeebus. we're talking aftermarket electronics working with alarms. not built-ins.

who would make a product that wouldn't support its own features?
Old Feb 13, 2005, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Your mom.

Just kidding, I don't know. I thought I'd just chime in. I'll go to bed without dinner now.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bugula
awwright. the shop did it! my alarm and TT play very nicely together. turn key off, lock car, car runs, car shuts off. alarm still armed.

here's their info for those of you in the NoVA area:

Hurley's Auto Audio
Did you ask them what they basically did? Shops don't normally tell you how they do it, if you're not a customer. I would really like to throw this idea at my shop, and see if they cant' come up with a solution.