Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How come we don't get turbo timers stock?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How come we don't get turbo timers stock?

If it is so important to cool down the turbo before shutting off the motor, then shouldn't we have tt's stock? I am new to turbo cars, so could someone help me out here. Is it only nescessary on modded cars? I let my car run at little or no boost for at least 1 minute before shutting it down, is this sufficient?
Thanks for any answers!
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

1 minute off boost (idleing) is suffcient. TT are for people who want to run hard then get out and go. Like me.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:41 PM

A big part of it is cost. The part would be another $100 bucks (forget mass quantity pricing) which would be borne by the customer. The other part is liability. For instance, car gets stolen while turbo timer runs and owner sues manufacturer because of the TT. BTW if you drive with less intensity for the last minute or so, this would render the TT obsolete.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 12:17 AM
Evolving Member

Pretty hard to get stolen if it has safety hookups like my greddy. Once handbrake goes up if it ever goes down engine shuts off. If speedo moves, car turns off.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by avaien
Pretty hard to get stolen if it has safety hookups like my greddy. Once handbrake goes up if it ever goes down engine shuts off. If speedo moves, car turns off.
even the hks has this feature.
funny thing is that some claim that if you put one on then your warranty is screwed.and its not even mitsu, even the dodge dealership here in temecula said that if i put one on my turbo warranty is gone. TT helps prolong the life of the turbo so WTF?!
Old Feb 4, 2005, 01:42 AM
Evolving Member

plan and simple dealerships will try to screw u out of a warranty on cars like the evo, wrx/sti, and srt-4. cuz they know what we are gonna do wit these cars.

is a turbo timer necessary. YES and NO. just depends on how u drive your car and if u are willing to just sit in it after u are through. cuz sometimes a minutes not enough for a cool down.

a little here. but i drove my car so hard one day that the hotside of my turbo was bright orangish red. it looked so damn
Old Feb 4, 2005, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

I run my TT for 1 minute and its fine, when you release the e-brake the car shuts off
Old Feb 4, 2005, 08:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.MR
If it is so important to cool down the turbo before shutting off the motor, then shouldn't we have tt's stock? I am new to turbo cars, so could someone help me out here. Is it only nescessary on modded cars? I let my car run at little or no boost for at least 1 minute before shutting it down, is this sufficient?
Thanks for any answers!

Very simple answer.. its **NOT** required.. 90% of the driving you do doesn't require more than a few seconds of idling before you shut the car off.. if you drive it hard, you cool it down for a minute or so.. If your too impatient to wait the minute after driving it hard.. well, you shouldn't be driving a car like this. Simple as that..

This has been discussed UMPTEEN times.. We use 100% synthetic oil, we have a water cooled and oil cooled turbo, turbo technology isn't where it was 20 years ago, you don't get the coking of the bearings from suddenly shutting it down, nor do you get dry-rundown when the turbo spins down as long as its idled for a few seconds before you shut it off...

Anyone telling you that you NEED a turbo timer is either misinformed, or trying to sell you something you don't need. Your money is better spent elsewhere..

If you drive the car hard enough to need the engine to cool down, not take a cool down lap, and/or are too impatient to wait a minute to shut the engine off, your irresponsible and careless, and shouldn't be driving a car like this.

Sorry for the blunt and brash post, but I'm tired of seeing broken cars and people blaming the problems on something other then their own carelessness, lazyness, or abuse.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LostSoul Evo
plan and simple dealerships will try to screw u out of a warranty on cars like the evo, wrx/sti, and srt-4. cuz they know what we are gonna do wit these cars.

is a turbo timer necessary. YES and NO. just depends on how u drive your car and if u are willing to just sit in it after u are through. cuz sometimes a minutes not enough for a cool down.

a little here. but i drove my car so hard one day that the hotside of my turbo was bright orangish red. it looked so damn
Dealerships do not intentionally try to screw anyone out of warranty repairs!!! The fact is why would we do a repair knowing that it is not warranty and knowing that the factory is going to tell us that you have just been charged for a warranty claim made on something that was not caused by a defect in materials or workmanship, but rather by an aftermarket/customer installed item? We love warranty work.
We hate it when the factory makes us eat a repair because we try to help people out knowing full well that it is not a warranty item. It's very upsetting to know that people out there think that our prime focus is to tell you no. Get a clue. Would you take a $5k gamble with your money every time someone wanted you to?
Bottom line is that MMNA pays the bill. If there is any question at all about coverage we call our factory rep and we answer the questions they ask HONESTLY. We also answer your questions HONESTLY. Would you want to do business with someone that was DISHONEST some of the time or HONEST all of the time with every one? If you think that it is OK for someone to lie to help you then you are the one that has the problem not the dealer.

This is not directed at any particular person. It is directed to the people who think that all dealers suck because they don't want to take the chance that the factory will make them pay for the engine that came apart because the aftermarket bigger turbo came apart.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr.MR
Thanks for any answers!
For the simple reason they didn't include an AMS GT35R in my car stock .