Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

CF hood not a perfect fit.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CF hood not a perfect fit.

first off, sorry if someone already posted a similar thread, but i couldn't find it so i'm posting a new one.

i got in an accident recently and needed to replace the hood and fix the fenders. i figured this would be a good opportunity to change it to a cf hood. i went and ordered parts from z1auto.com. (btw, make sure with adam that they have the part in stock FOR SURE, cuz if not, you'll be waiting for months!)

i got the oem style hood that they sell $499 and had it shipped to the body shop. when i went to go check on the progress the owner showed me that the hood was not an exact fit. it was slightly narrower than the oem hood causing a wider than normal gaps towards the front of the hood.

initially i was thinking that the bodyshop had not done a proper job of installing the fenders, but the owner assured me that the problem was with the hood. i went as far as asking if i got a stock hood would that correct it, and he said that it would.

so my question to all of you is:

is this normal of cf hoods?

anyone in the local area willing to let me try swapping with their oem hood just to prove a point?
(i would be willing to pay for your time.)

thanks in advance for your input.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:43 AM

that is normal with most hoods that you spend under 1000 dollars for.. come on now.. 500 dollars for a cf hood... that is cheap...
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although I dont have a cf hood on my evo, I do have Fiber Images on both of my eclipses and the gaps are as good as OEM... Not sure if Fiber Images makes a Evo hood, but if they do its well worth the 600 bux.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My Kaminari is being put on now. The body shop test fit and couldn't believe how well everything lined up. That is with Varis fenders and a Kaminari bumper too. There is one shim needed on the left fender, everything els bolts right up.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

I bought a cf hood from Z1. What a PITA. It took me all weekend to get it installed with my friends who are roushe mechanics. Came out good, but wouldn't of been able to pay someone to do a good job. Good luck.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

I would just like to say that if yall are looking for carbon fiber hoods that are good quality and fit try
http://www.seibon.com/pdut_detail_pic.asp?ItemID=280
http://www.seibon.com/pdut_detail_pic.asp?ItemID=279
http://www.seibon.com/pdut_detail_pic.asp?ItemID=278
If you would be interested in purchasing one of these hoods, let me know with a pm or im me on aim my screen name is skullnbones28

Last edited by Evodreamer28; Feb 4, 2005 at 04:05 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

I am assuming those carbon fiber hoods you posted on those links are the one that guy is talking about for fitment iissues.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

No those are links to hoods by a company that has high quality, good fitment hoods, not some cheap s*** you bought of an internet site
Old Feb 4, 2005, 04:11 PM
Account Disabled

As I told you on the phone, if you can get me some pictures, I'll gladly address the issue with the manufacturer. We've sold tons of these to date, and have not run into fitment issues. Any carbon hood generally takes a bit of fiddling with to make perfect from my expeirence (and I am talking regardless of the manufacturer, from Seibon (which we are large dealer of, to Fiber Images (which we sell) to C West (which we also sell), etc).

If you can get me the pictures I'll gladly take it up with the supplier, who is local to us. We are certainly not here to offer you a product that you are not pleased with.

As for the other items, your body shop was told when the order was placed that some of the items were not instock.....per their request as remaining items arrived to us, they were sent out, and we called and/or emailed tracking numbers to them every time.

Evodreamer - not for nothing, but I would not go spouting about the perfect fitment of Seibon either. While we are a large dealer of theirs, and have been since they started (and even before that as we have been doing business with one of the owners for years now), not every hood they send out fits perfectly.....case in point was the hood they sent me for my own car, which took me no less than 6 hours to get the final results acceptable (read not perfect, but acceptable)

Last edited by Z1 Performance; Feb 4, 2005 at 04:37 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

I don't like the fact that he blamed Adam for the In stock. I have worked with Adam, buying his products for about a year now. Spending over 8 grand with him, and now hopefully a few more depending on insurance and body shop, on wheels tires, bodykit and hood. Adam has never screwed me. Has always been helpful, let me know of in stock times etc. He has always helped me with any problems, so I highly doubt he would ever tell you something was in stock when it wasn't. And it would not be his fault if the hood was off a little. Just because the bodyshop says it is the hood doesn't mean it is. They honestly could have installed the fenders wrong, or the No name hood could be a little narrow, but like he said which I wil lstand behind, you ask for assistance he will do what he can to help you.

Tim
Old Feb 4, 2005, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evodreamer28
No those are links to hoods by a company that has high quality, good fitment hoods, not some cheap s*** you bought of an internet site

ummm... the links you provide take you to an internet site... bevis...

Like everything else almost everyone on this site is an advocate of what they have already bought or have decided to buy, of course. I on the other hand bought a cheap $300.00 hood and while I am happy with my bang for the buck, I am not truly satisfied. I just couldn't justfy in my mind a top of the line 1200.00 CF hood.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

I never said they where $1,200