Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Normal Hood for EVO VIII

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2003, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Normal Hood for EVO VIII

The EVO offers terrific bang for the buck. Unfortunately, the vent on the hood is way to boy racer. I know I can get rid of the spoiler on the trunk since the trunk lid is interchangeable with the regular Lancer, but is there an aftermarket manufacturer who offers a normal hood for this car?
Old Jan 10, 2003, 08:34 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

I know you feel it's very boy racer, but it's actually functional. Removing the front hood and placing a standard one will not allow the hot air to escape. You may have to wait and see if Japan makes a GTA version with a similar hood style that the Evo VII GTA has... that's probably the only way to get a hood without any vents though.

Also, for the rear spoiler... no need to replace trunk lids, you can just remove the spoiler and fill in the holes instead. I'll buy it from you

Mark
Old Jan 10, 2003, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

yeah...i would keep the "boy racer" hood...a heat soaked car = slower car...
Old Jan 10, 2003, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

That hood will save your engine. It gets VERY hot, there's even a warning in the tech manual not to touch the hood during or after the engine has been running. Without that hood, the car would probably over heat.

Ugh ... first "OH NO, NO CRUISE CONTROL!" and now the hood is too ricey? Go buy a Chevy!!!!
Old Jan 10, 2003, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

You're telling me the only thing thats preventing this car from overheating is a little vent in hood? Oh please. The intercooler is in the front. The designers had a nice concept and put a gay wing and a dumb grill on it

Last edited by Cordwood; Jan 10, 2003 at 09:22 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 09:17 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

It won't desctroy the engine with just everyday driving, but I would rather have excess heat escape from the engine bay given the choice. It'll probably grow on you once you see it

Mark
Old Jan 10, 2003, 09:34 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Cordwood
You're telling me the only thing thats preventing this car from overheating is a little vent in hood? Oh please. The intercooler is in the front. The designers had a nice concept and put a gay wing and a dumb grill on it
Hello? Can i say turbo newbie? It is to channel the hot air of the down pipe out of the car to prevent heat soak on the fmic. The exhause mainfold is very hot!

Look at the wrx sti. They have splitter in the hoodscoope to remove heat form the downpipe. Thier is located near the back and mitsubishi is on the front. They have a different setup due to the boxter engine.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 10:00 AM

I have no idea why you would want to do away with the hood. Granted I am also not a big fan of the rear wing, but I consider the hood one of the trade marks of the car. I don't really care if my car looks fast, I just want it to be fast. But if you don't like th look of the EVO there is always Soobie, or the new Turbo Lancer.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Cordwood
I can't believe you just said that. The hood is phatty and so is the "gay" wing.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Last time I checked there's no hood vent most of the other cars in the same price range with similar power and there is no "gay" wing. Don't be afraid to go buy a car from all those other manufacturers out there. It's funny how people will complain all the way up to the time they hand the check to the salesperson. Why complain when you can just go buy something else.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 08:47 PM

if the oem hood is considered "boy racer" then i'll just be a "ricing boy racer" cause mines staying. in fact everything oem is staying.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 02:37 PM

So basically you're saying that the designers in the WRC are "gay" because they put vents in the hood and a big wing on their RACE car!?!?

Buy a Grand Prix - I hear they are built for "Drivers"
Old Jan 11, 2003, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

So if heat shield to the exhuast manifold has vents, should we get rid of that too right?
There's a reason why ALL the Evolutions have had hood vents in the past.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Why are you getting this car. Go get a plain jane civic and stop dissing awesome functional parts. Boy racer=altezzas and vtec. not 19psi turbo and a great way to cool that turbo.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

I say get rid of the turbo too. Too boy racer. Its just a noise maker.

Quick Reply: Normal Hood for EVO VIII