Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

sticky brake pads - bad?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2005, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question sticky brake pads - bad?

Ok, so I know it had already been discussed that our brake pads stick together overnight and when first driven the next day would unstick and make a large/awful "bang" sound.

The question is: But is this bad for our rotors and pads themselves?

I didn't drive may car for over 20 hrs, it didn't freeze overnight, I first started it when it was 50 degrees outside, put it in reverse, car wouldn't move, thought I might have missed the gear, back to neutral then back to reverse, car won't move, more gas can hear the revs higher now, big "bang" sound, then everything cool from then on.

Worst case for me ever in this incident.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

I have never heard of what you are talking about.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

neither have i
Old Feb 7, 2005, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
yes i know what your talking about, I dont think ts bad. It happens if my rotors get wet and i park it right away. I got some DS2500 pads and it seems not to happen as much. I notice it happen mostly in the colder temps where the pads/rotors dont have time to dry
Old Feb 7, 2005, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

I've had this problem, especially when it's salty in the winter and you park the car wet. The pads just stick to the rotors. I wouldn't worry about it, think about all the pressure and heat the pads/rotors/calipers are built to handle. Bringing a 3000 pound car to a stop using a few square inches of material is pretty amazing actually. I think the bang you hear is just the calipers springing back to their open position when they are released from the rotor.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Interesting stuff you are talking about -- it's been pretty cold hear lately, wet roads, etc...never experienced this. I hope I don't!
Old Feb 7, 2005, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eevoo
I've had this problem, especially when it's salty in the winter and you park the car wet. The pads just stick to the rotors. I wouldn't worry about it, think about all the pressure and heat the pads/rotors/calipers are built to handle. Bringing a 3000 pound car to a stop using a few square inches of material is pretty amazing actually. I think the bang you hear is just the calipers springing back to their open position when they are released from the rotor.
This happens to me all the time. More so after it rains.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know what you are talking about. It happens after a car wash.. It's fine