Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mustang -> Dynojet?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2005, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mustang -> Dynojet?

What is the difference between the readings of a mustang dyno vs. a dynojet?
Old Feb 6, 2005, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

dynojet reads higher than mustang dynos because mustang dynos put more load on the cars. The way i think of it, in terms of hp loss, Dynapak > mustang > dynojet. And guess what? Dynapak is the best because it puts a real "street" load on the car.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Strange because there is a dynopak here locally and most of our customer's that had previously dyno'd on the dynopak and then use our dynojet get lower numbers.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

It's not consistent at all. I actually put up my biggest #s on a Dynapack. Like 10WHP more than on a Mustang. And our local Dynojet reads even lower. So for me, it's been the exact opposite. This just goes to prove that if you're interested in the numbers for tuning, you absolutely have to use the same Dyno each time...
Old Feb 7, 2005, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think the way the Dynos are calibrated has to do a lot when it comes to comparing them to other ones. It all depends on how a certain shop calibrated their dyno, but I would say the best thing to do is stick to one place to get your car tuned.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
It's not consistent at all. I actually put up my biggest #s on a Dynapack. Like 10WHP more than on a Mustang. And our local Dynojet reads even lower. So for me, it's been the exact opposite. This just goes to prove that if you're interested in the numbers for tuning, you absolutely have to use the same Dyno each time...
My thoughts too...
Old Feb 7, 2005, 09:08 AM
Account Disabled

The Mustang has end user adjustable settings for correction factor and drum weight which can swing the whp read out by as much as 100 whp one way or the other

A fairly useless tool for comparsion to other dynos unless you know all the settings and they dont print on the dyno sheets

I perfer Dyno Jet
Old Feb 7, 2005, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

dyno jet
Old Feb 7, 2005, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

dynojet gives the numbers we wanna see .. Mustang is getting closer but something like a dynopak or dynodynamic give you the real deal lol. or if you wanting to see huge numbers.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

dynapak all the way, no tire spin yo. Also their load tuning is badass. Anything else and you're just looking for inflated hp numbers.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

The reason a Mustang and a Dynojet read differently is because they are two totally different types of dynos. The Mustang is a loading dyno and the Dynojet is an inertia dyno.

What is an inertia dyno you ask? Basically, you have the rollers which have a calculated weight called the inertia weight of
the dyno. This is a fixed value from the manufacturer. You speed the car up on the dyno, get it into 4th or 5th gear based on what is your one to one gear ratio. Then you do your power pull. It measures acceleration rates, time it takes to do the test, distance traveled during the test, inertia weight, etc. From these known values, it's plugged into the equation of HP=(mass)*(acceleration)*(distance traveled/time of test). From HP, torque can be equated using RPM from the vehicle. TQ=HP*5252/RPM. This is technically the backwards way to do it because HP is a theoretical number. Whereas Torque is a real/measureable number. A power pull is the only test you can do with an inertia style dyno. For the normal dyno owner, tuning is difficult to do with an inertia style dyno b/c the load applied to the vehicle is not real world loading. It is only the fixed weight of the roller's inertia (~2500-2900 pounds). This is much lower than the weight of most cars out there. Therefore you are tuning you car to run on the dyno and not run on the street. It is especially hard to tune EFI cars b/c their fuel map is a matrix of Load vs. RPM. So all your tuning on the dyno may be in the 50% load column, but when you go out on the street, you are pushing around more weight and now you are in the 70% load column - the column you couldn't tune on the dyno. Another problem that customers like us have is the ability to make full boost on the dyno. Again, this relates back to the not enough load created by the dyno. Turbo spool up is the effect of load on the motor. If there isn't enough load, you aren't going to spool up the turbo - kinda like revving the motor in neutral, you get some boost, but not as much as you would with load on the motor.

How does a Mustang apply a load on to your vehicle? Mustang couples a Eddy Current Power Absorber Unit (PAU) to the rollers of dyno. A PAU is basically a large magnetic frictionless brake also known as an electromagnetic brake. There are large
magnets in the center and large cast iron rotors on the outside. These rotors spin with the dynos rollers. As current is applied to the magnets, they try to "grab" the rotors and stop them. This is what applies the load to the vehicle. One PAU has the ability to make a 1000HP car under full throttle come to a complete stop. Attached to the PAU is a load cell (strain gauge). As you accelerate, the PAU will apply a load to the load cell because the PAU will try to spin with the rollers b/c of the friction
between the rotors and magnets. You also have the distance from the center of the PAU to the strain gauge. From these two measurements, you get torque. Torque=Force*Distance. Then from torque you get HP. HP=TQ*RPM/5252. The PAU
controls are extremely quick and accurate. The dyno can simulate the forces on any car going down the road using it's patented Road Load Simulation. That includes weight of the vehicle, wind friction, tire to road friction, etc. What your car sees on these dynos is exactly what it will see on the road. You can do a power pull, constant acceleration test, constant speed test, constant PAU force test, 0-60mph test, 0-100mph test, quarter mile sprint, 0-200 yard test and speedometer calibration test. EFI tuning is also extremely easy to do because you are in the proper load column during all of your vehicle simulation testing. You can also run the constant speed test which will allow you to tune every cell in the matrix one at a time.

The whole debate of which dyno is right is just opinion. Some people say Mustang is right, some say DynoJet is right, some say Dynapak is right, etc, etc, etc. Read the article in this link: http://www.mustangdyne.com/Articles/...article-01.htm Basically, Chevy High Performance did a Mustang vs. DynoJet vs. a 5th wheel dyno and the Mustang's HP curve was spot on with what the 5th wheel dyno's HP curve looked like.

As for who is better than who, that's every person's personal opinion and I'm not posting this to change that, just giving real information that isn't word of mouth.

Hopefully this was informative and you learned something. If you have any questions, let me know.

Thanks,
Tim
Sales Engineer
Mustang Dynamometer
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

There you go... straight from the horse's* mouth

*(pun intended)

Last edited by SterlingEvo; Feb 7, 2005 at 10:59 AM.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SloRice
Therefore you are tuning you car to run on the dyno and not run on the street.

W3RD, DynoJet isn't a very good tuning tool which is what a Dyno is meant to be.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Yep,,the only good thing about dynojet is to show hp differences between mods, if you tune on the dynojet, it'll run like crap on the street. I know from experience.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

I watched a 911 Carrera run in "Shootout Mode" on the DynoDynamics, which is an estimated flywheel HP mode. It came within 7 HP of what the factory spec was. So DynoDynamics seems pretty darn accurate to me.

I heard that the Dynapak is bad news for the center diff / transfer case on EVOs, anyone experience that?

Quick Reply: Mustang -> Dynojet?