Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

custom dynoflash vs xflash

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2005, 02:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenJ
which approach is safer for the engine
If this is your main concern, then in my honest opinion you are looking to modify the wrong part on your car. You are really looking to compare apples to oranges with this topic, too. I'll elaborate a little,...

Lets take some variables into consideration... like, your location and your driving style. What is the weather like where you, and the typical conditions year round? Also, are you a spirited driver when behind the wheel?

Now lets look at the two products. Something 'custom' made for you, vs something basically pre-packaged or available off-the-shelf. How custom of a tune is it going to be, meaning is it a "mail-in your ECU and I'll flash according to your mods" or is Al actually coming to you and doing the tuning there?

Then take it a step further and look at tuning styles. Fact is, unless you are the one punching in the numbers (and understanding them), you really don't know just how safe the tune really is. Incorporate your driving style on top of your selected tune, and factor in the changing weather and its impact on how your car runs (California vs Maine vs Florida, etc.)

I guess my point is ask these questions to whoever is doing your tune. I would definately say you need to be comparing the same products though, custom dynoflash to a custom xflash. From what I've seen, the likelihood of Al coming to do your custom tune is cheaper and more likely than Shiv doing it, as it doesnt appear he gets out as much as Al.

Good luck with whatever you choose. And just for the record, my EVO is bone stock. I don't have either.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 03:15 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by sneakychaos
If this is your main concern, then in my honest opinion you are looking to modify the wrong part on your car. You are really looking to compare apples to oranges with this topic, too. I'll elaborate a little,...

Lets take some variables into consideration... like, your location and your driving style. What is the weather like where you, and the typical conditions year round? Also, are you a spirited driver when behind the wheel?

Now lets look at the two products. Something 'custom' made for you, vs something basically pre-packaged or available off-the-shelf. How custom of a tune is it going to be, meaning is it a "mail-in your ECU and I'll flash according to your mods" or is Al actually coming to you and doing the tuning there?

Then take it a step further and look at tuning styles. Fact is, unless you are the one punching in the numbers (and understanding them), you really don't know just how safe the tune really is. Incorporate your driving style on top of your selected tune, and factor in the changing weather and its impact on how your car runs (California vs Maine vs Florida, etc.)

I guess my point is ask these questions to whoever is doing your tune. I would definately say you need to be comparing the same products though, custom dynoflash to a custom xflash. From what I've seen, the likelihood of Al coming to do your custom tune is cheaper and more likely than Shiv doing it, as it doesnt appear he gets out as much as Al.

Good luck with whatever you choose. And just for the record, my EVO is bone stock. I don't have either.
Thanks for takig the time to give a very thoughtful answer

All I can tell you guys is that after a year and a half - I still love tuning evos as much as the first day and I still tune each and every one like its my last tune !
Old Feb 9, 2005, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

I've seen the results of both flashes, and heard the stories from people that have had both. Plus I've seen the comments that the two make on here. Those comments alone reveal huge amounts about the character of them in a lot of cases!
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:18 AM

Let me rephrase. With a car with minimal mods (turboback exhaust and flash), used for street use only, on 93 octane in Missouri, and the user enjoying the adrenalin rush from the cars neck snapping accelleration, having no inclination to drive at 100+ mph.
With this scenario what encompasses a safe flash - Is it low a/f ratios?, a stable boost?, a controlled tapered boost,degrees of retardation (cars not drivers), level of peak boost etc?
thanks
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

All of the above.

You should also look into getting some adjustable cam gears, that's worth some HP and a cheap mod.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Ok just to compare i had the XEDE tuned at 22 psi by mark from TT (i bet shiv would of done a slightly better job) anyway i put down 320.24 when i went to dynoflash we got rid of the xede (my call i couldnt wait for shiv to come out ) with a simple mail in flash i was at 321 then some tunning and i was mid 340's and alcohol and boost at 25 psi i was up to 376.2 we actually hit well into mid 380's but Al told me that 376 is plenty and it was alot SAFER i vote for AL from dynoflash all the way

BRO the guy came out at 11 PM one day to see how my car is he called me 10 times the same day i got tuned askin me how i like the car. 0 knock 0 detonation the car fells 1000% better then before he got his hands on it just my 2 cents.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Last edited by RallyRedEVO; Feb 9, 2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Well...this just didn't make sense anymore

Last edited by UT_Evo; Feb 9, 2005 at 01:20 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 01:14 PM

Can we stop the mud slinging and get back to the question.
Originally Posted by DarrenJ
Let me rephrase. With a car with minimal mods (turboback exhaust and flash), used for street use only, on 93 octane in Missouri, and the user enjoying the adrenalin rush from the cars neck snapping accelleration, having no inclination to drive at 100+ mph.
With this scenario what encompasses a safe flash - Is it low a/f ratios?, a stable boost?, a controlled tapered boost,degrees of retardation (cars not drivers), level of peak boost etc?
thanks
Old Feb 9, 2005, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry, you're right. Edited the post.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Sadly, you'll find that mudslinging seems to be more of a sport on here than people driving or working on their cars, by a select group of people at any rate.

Ask this sort of question and you may as well set up a ring for the actual purpose. It seems like people have to support a product by negatively dissing on another no matter what the circumstances.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 01:42 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by expatevo
Sadly, you'll find that mudslinging seems to be more of a sport on here than people driving or working on their cars, by a select group of people at any rate.

Ask this sort of question and you may as well set up a ring for the actual purpose. It seems like people have to support a product by negatively dissing on another no matter what the circumstances.
I agree. It seems that certain people feel that it somehow justfiys their purchase when they trash other competing products. In some cases the customers of some other tyuning houses become like cult members when they spend most of their waking time bashing tuners who compete with their "cult" leader tuner. Take a look at the posting records of some of these individuals and you will see that most of the contributions they make to this on line community are promoting their chosen tuner and bashing all other tuners. Its gets old after a while but in the end it has zero effect on my business as from day one the contsant and frantic attcking of my fairly priced and effective product has done more to draw free attention to what I am doing that detering potential customers.

Personally I think life is too short to harbor negative vibes about a product you never tried and someone you never met.

I prefer to let my dyno sheets, reliability record and our customers times at teh track speak for my work. I think that says enough.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

I think they all have pretty good products, I just personally chose Al cause of his willingness to help and I enjoy talking with him. Here are the numbers I put down with the mods listed below. 96 octane on a Dyno Dynamics dyno.

Besides, you can't argue with these numbers.

Thanks to Al and Buschur Racing!!!-scan0004.jpg

Last edited by TC4G63; Feb 9, 2005 at 01:58 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 01:11 PM

Talking Xflash vs. CUSTOM Dyno Flash

I would go with the custom dyno flash from Turbotrix. Seeing as how the stock horsepower ratings differ rather significantly from car to car for the Evo. Doing this will have your car tuned more precisely and will get the most power possible.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

we all know when it comes to reflashes dynoflash is the best out there

Quick Reply: custom dynoflash vs xflash