Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stock parts or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2005, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock parts or aftermarket?

I have been reading alot of parts for the Evo and it has been really helpful. One thing that gets me confused is that, how come when it comes to motor oil, I would say 98% use Mobil 1 because it came with our Evos from the factory. Yet when it comes to our spark plugs, those 98% most use aftermarket instead of the stock hybrid plugs that came with our Evos. Is it to expensive? and figure they can use other inexpensive plugs? If so then why don't they use different brand of synthetic motor oil. I think the only reason we have Mobil 1 on our oil cap is because Mobil 1 was their primary sponsor in the rally world and are obligated to put that on our caps.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that i couldn't tell you... but, i know i don't use mobil one, nor stock plugs... perhaps it's that there's smaller of gains perceived from oil as opposed to colder plugs??? but i think it comes down to safety, and I'd change both...
Old Feb 8, 2005, 05:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
For most its a warranty thing.. For the rest of us, Mobil1 fully synthetic oil is good quality oil and does the job well. Plus there isn't a huge price difference between Mobil1 and other fully synthetic brands of oil. The stock plugs are EXPENSIVE, and although they claim that the plugs last 14000 miles, in reality they only last 5000-8000 miles. I have found NGK plugs to be less expensive and work just as well for the same mileage.. When I would complain to the dealer about a misfire (when my car was still going to the dealer) the would outright refuse to change the plugs claiming they are fine for 15k miles (I had 8000 miles on the car) so I got fed up and changed them only to find the car ran 100% better.