Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Did everyone forget about the front mount?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2003, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where do u think that extra length in the Evo came from...its that front beam they had to add..that added weight up fron too
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:06 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, so maybe I worded that wrong. Forced induction CAN replace displacement (did I say that right? Kinda funny) But when you have a 2.0 Turbocharged engine vs. a 2.5 Turbocharged engine, on cars that are remarkably similiar to start with, then you're really, REALLY hard pressed to come up with ways to make the 2.0 liter car faster. And just having a FMIC doesn't cut it.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 02:44 AM

Being kindof a nut about cooling and airflow (I grew up and spent most of my life in Phoenix...what can I say), it is fairly clear to me that the FMIC is a far superior design. The delta T of the radiator (as I think Tux educatedly discussed) is not significantly reduced by the intercooler unless you plan on towing a boat with your rally car. I am curious if the STi comes without an oil cooler (but that is an easy bolt on that I think is a must....I'm betting the Evo and the STi have 'em stock). The hood scoop just isn't going to cool adequately for my liking and colder air into the cylinders is a MUST for better everything. If I go with an STi, it's going to get a FMIC and the hood scoop is going to undergo a redesign to become an aspirator which will literally "vaccuum" air out of the engine compartment. (I put vaccuum in quotations for those of you who know that there is no such thing as a vaccuum...) That is a fairly easy thing to do (you open the backside of the scoop and make the underside of the scoop convex...so it's like an upside down airplane wing) and would really help to move heat out of the engine bay...especially with all the extra open airflow allowed by the space where the IC used to be. Bigger turbo will offset the increased pipe length into the intake.