Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Shifter bushings kit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2005, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifter bushings kit

Not sure if this was discussed already.Has anyone Installed a short shifter and changed the bushings?I want to know which is better and why,brass or the poly urethane sets?
Old Feb 9, 2005, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My buddy has a B&M and I didn't like it at all. I don't really know why, it just didn't feel right. So I was very hesitant to put any short shifter in. I got all the kartboy bushings and was very impressed. So much so, I had to try their short shifter. Wow, I love it to the point of which I wished I got it as soon as I bought the car. Give it a try.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

I have the B&M shorty and the brass underhood bushings. they were installed at the same time so I don't know how they perform separately...however they work VERY NICELY together. Short, precise throws...a little notchy but you get used to it. A weighted shiftknob would finish off the set perfectly.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

I have the B&M, underhood bushings(metal),shifter base bushings also metal, and the voodoo weighted knob, This combo kicks ***.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

IMHO, the best thing to do is get the brass underhood 2 piece bushings and the brass shifter base 8 piece bushings, and a counter weight shift knob. I've found this to be the best combo.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
the bushings will make your car more "rifle bolt" and increase effort a little... i've heard no bad reviews of the brass ones but i did hear of one bad review of the kartboy ones... that they were useless.

i run the b&m precision but i installed it two weeks after the bushings. so i can attest to both. b&m will increase effort a little more but will reduce the throws quite a bit... my advice... get it all and get a nice long shift knob... like i have :]
Old Feb 9, 2005, 06:18 PM
Former Sponsor

The stock shifter is more than enough this has been discussed to death. Although the Kartboy shifter bushings are the best for the money. I have used the brass bushings with my DSM and personally it made it very notchy. I think if kartboy thought we needed more stiffness they would have designed theirs differently. With the stock shifter and Kartboy bushings it is the best upgrade I should have put them on from day one before any other mods.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

I am not a big fan of the short shifters, but do love the shifter bushings.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

I have the brass shifter linkage and base bushings with the kartboy short shifter, topped with a heavy momo black sphere knob. Very very good combo, especially when BG is in the tranny
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

just with the bushings , you get a tighter feel when you shift. like you know its in gear
Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

I installed the brass shifter base bushings and it made a very big difference. I was really surprised at it cause it doesnt seem like they would. I then installed the underhood bushings a few days later. It stiffins it up more, but Im not so sure I like them cause it does make the feel notchy. Some people may like this better but for everyday I guess I will have to get used to it. Does a shift knob help alot?
Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

I just bought a set of underhood bushings myself -- going to install them this weekend.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kronik
I just bought a set of underhood bushings myself -- going to install them this weekend.
Let me know how that goes... I'm thinking of doing the same just 'cause I don't need all that much improvement and I don't want to have to open up the entire column to install the base bushings. Also, are you planning to do any other shifting mods later on?
Old Apr 24, 2005, 08:42 AM
Former Sponsor

It is not that hard to open the column up. Although the underhood bushings make the most improvement and I would recommend those alone over the incar bushings. You will be very happy with your improvement.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Well I was going to see how these went first -- I was going to install them today -- but it's friggen 32 outside!!! Spring weather my achin butt!!! I definitely want to get a Counter Weight shift knob. I've heard good things about Greddy's

Quick Reply: Shifter bushings kit